Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Transferring from a Big 3 to a state school
(09-02-2018, 09:08 PM)zapproximator Wrote: Totally agree - which is why I'm getting the stuff I'd already do in high school (like math, econ, English, science, etc) and getting it over with so I don't have to do it twice so I can go to a brick-and-mortar school once I've figured out what I want to study and really go hard networking and doing all the college stuff. So I definitely agree, I just think that it doesn't make a ton of sense to spend tens and tens of thousands on your gen. eds. and two extra years when you've already done a lot of the same stuff in high school.

I didn't suggest you're not learning things. I didn't suggest you spend more money. And I didn't suggest you spend 2 extra years duplicating what you're already doing in high school. You do know I'm a fan of homeschooling FOR college credit, right?

I said: keep your options open and increase your exposure to many new and interesting classes. (because separate and apart from learning things, you just haven't spent a lot of time on the planet, so the limits are not in your ability, they are in your exposure)

I also said: you're missing out by CLEPping out of an AA/BA at an online school (because you are 12 or 13, or are you 14 now? I forget. But, anyone who HAS CLEPped out of a degree - like I have- can tell you there are things you give up doing so. To think you're not giving anything up suggests you don't see the big picture)

Finally, I said there were 2 reasons to hurry: exceptional focus or running out of time. I don't believe either apply to you, but at the end of the day you get to decide and no one here is going to judge you one way or the other.
I think Zapproximator mentioned in (his/her?) Other thread that they're also doing AP and some community college courses this upcoming year.

I think the most valuable tools for HS would be Dual enrollment courses(most transferrability & closely emulates college level learning pedagogy), followed by AP(also pretty transferrable and cheap). Definitely cool to throw in some CLEPs on the side for some subjects and also, keep them in mind as a backup if you failed a corresponding AP exam(obviously try your best to pass, though).
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
[-] The following 1 user Likes MNomadic's post:
  • zapproximator
I'm 15. And a guy Smile Thanks for the advice cookderosa and MNomadic.
-Zapproximator

My journey to a bachelor's degree by 18 (with my flashcards, exam tips, and notes)---> bachelorsby18.wordpress.com

Super quick bio: Homeschooled teen who loves music, writing, hanging out with friends, and doing stuff outside - unless it's 80+ Wink

-------------------------
42/120 Credits
CLEP: Principles of Marketing 75, Principles of Management 66, A&I Literature 59, Intro Psychology 64, US History 1 68, US History 2 69, Sociology 61, Western Civ 1, Western Civ 2 55, Biology 51, Microecon 67, Macroecon 68, Educational Psychology 74, College Algebra (in progress), College Composition (in progress)
AP: Statistics, Spanish (both in progress)
[-] The following 1 user Likes zapproximator's post:
  • Kelly Green
(09-02-2018, 09:08 PM)zapproximator Wrote: Totally agree - which is why I'm getting the stuff I'd already do in high school (like math, econ, English, science, etc) and getting it over with so I don't have to do it twice so I can go to a brick-and-mortar school once I've figured out what I want to study and really go hard networking and doing all the college stuff. So I definitely agree, I just think that it doesn't make a ton of sense to spend tens and tens of thousands on your gen. eds. and two extra years when you've already done a lot of the same stuff in high school.

And I agree with you.  BUT, what you MAY end up doing (not will, just may) is limiting your options rather than opening them up, by using alternative credits.  When you do your AA alternatively, you will close doors to MANY schools who won't take a block transfer of your credits, and won't take your alternative credits.  So, you end up either having to continue on with the alternative route to keep the credits you took, or having to redo a lot of credits that you already took in order to get them accepted into a traditional school.

I have 2 kids; one who is highly motivated to get college credits while in HS.  For him, we will go the AP route, because he wants to go to ROTC for college, and then into the military.  Not conducive to alternative credits.  The other one wants to go to CC for a 2-yr degree in a specific field that does not lend itself to alternative credit.  Once that's done though, she is considering getting her BALS so that she can have that piece of paper.  All of her networking will be done at the CC level, because the degree terminates there (there is no 4-yr degree for what she wants to do).  Instead of college credit, she is looking at things like internships and jobs in the area of interest - which is another way of networking.

I'm not bashing you, just suggesting that alternative credits at your young age, when there are so many other options, MAY not be your best path.  But, it's your path, and you get to choose it, so take everyone's advice with a grain of salt.  We have life experience, which is very helpful - but it's our life experience, and won't always pertain to yours.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • zapproximator
It's not clear to me where you stand on science courses. You cannot in high school or by studying for CLEP or even AP learn science like you can at a large university that has well-supplied science laboratories. You have stated that you want to go into finance. Do you think science courses are sort of like general education courses for you, something you have to do to get the degree you want?

Think about this. Let's say you want to work in finance. Okay, good. Would you like to work in the finance department of a company curing cancer by building mRNA from scratch custom tailored for a person's genome? Think your CLEP chemistry and biology are good enough? Don't shortchange yourself. Go to a university and learn things from experience working with experts, which is consistent with dfrecore's great advice.
63 CLEP Sociology
75 CLEP U.S. History II
63 CLEP College Algebra
70 CLEP Analyzing and Interpreting Literature
68 DSST Technical Writing
72 CLEP U.S. History I
77 CLEP College Mathematics
470 DSST Statistics
53 CLEP College Composition
73 CLEP Biology
54 CLEP Chemistry
77 CLEP Information Systems and Computer Applications
At this point, I think science courses are more gen. eds. for me. If I figure out that I will need them (e.g. for medical school or something else that requires science courses as a prereq) I'd definitely take them at a traditional university.

I'm definitely still figuring things out Smile
-Zapproximator

My journey to a bachelor's degree by 18 (with my flashcards, exam tips, and notes)---> bachelorsby18.wordpress.com

Super quick bio: Homeschooled teen who loves music, writing, hanging out with friends, and doing stuff outside - unless it's 80+ Wink

42/120 Credits
CLEP: Principles of Marketing 75, Principles of Management 66, A&I Literature 59, Intro Psychology 64, US History 1 68, US History 2 69, Sociology 61, Western Civ 1, Western Civ 2 55, Biology 51, Microecon 67, Macroecon 68, Educational Psychology 74, College Algebra (in progress), College Composition (in progress)
(09-03-2018, 05:01 PM)clep3705 Wrote: It's not clear to me where you stand on science courses. You cannot in high school or by studying for CLEP or even AP learn science like you can at a large university that has well-supplied science laboratories. You have stated that you want to go into finance. Do you think science courses are sort of like general education courses for you, something you have to do to get the degree you want?

Think about this. Let's say you want to work in finance. Okay, good. Would you like to work in the finance department of a company curing cancer by building mRNA from scratch custom tailored for a person's genome? Think your CLEP chemistry and biology are good enough? Don't shortchange yourself. Go to a university and learn things from experience working with experts, which is consistent with dfrecore's great advice.

I'm pretty sure when you're getting hired in a finance company (any finance company), that they don't care if you took lab science courses.  They want a BSBA and an MBA (generally), and won't spend 5 seconds looking at your science courses.

Just my opinion. I could be wrong.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 2 users Like dfrecore's post:
  • Kelly Green, zapproximator
(09-03-2018, 05:28 PM)zapproximator Wrote: At this point, I think science courses are more gen. eds. for me. If I figure out that I will need them (e.g. for medical school or something else that requires science courses as a prereq) I'd definitely take them at a traditional university.

I'm definitely still figuring things out Smile

You're doing fine! You're definitely ahead of the game compared to where most people are at your age. What's the worst case if you change your major? Redoing a few classes at b&m when you're like 19? You just do you.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
[-] The following 4 users Like MNomadic's post:
  • hsfamfun, Kelly Green, quigongene, zapproximator
Update: I talked to my state school (a top 5 CS program) and they accept CLEP credit for all transfer applicants, as long as you have 12 graded credits!
-Zapproximator

42/120 Credits
That's great news. Just something to look out for is the amount of test-out-able credit that is allowed from each school is different. So you might want to make sure you can get the maximum noted down for your reference, you don't want to take exams and find out the next day that they don't accept anything over X amount test credits. So, document that X number for future use.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • zapproximator

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help - Math Degree for Grad School Frederico.Sandoval 10 681 04-20-2024, 11:28 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Graham School - University of Chicago Charles Fout 12 1,760 03-22-2024, 07:19 AM
Last Post: Charles Fout
  101yr Old Woman Returned To School And Will Graduate College With Her Granddaughter LevelUP 0 251 01-25-2024, 04:36 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  5 institutions paying fine plus how much college costs in every state bjcheung77 1 212 01-25-2024, 01:55 PM
Last Post: inor
  Advice Needed for School & Degree Plan diablo 8 681 01-04-2024, 04:58 PM
Last Post: allvia
  Free Course Jacksonville State University a_dblu 56 9,951 11-19-2023, 07:30 PM
Last Post: ReyMysterioso
  Canada's Newest Medical School - Opening 2026 at SFU bjcheung77 1 347 11-01-2023, 05:41 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  Brown Medical School withdraws from U.S. News rankings allvia 2 462 10-30-2023, 09:51 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  How Technology Shapes Ideas - University of Chicago Graham School Charles Fout 0 270 09-15-2023, 09:38 AM
Last Post: Charles Fout
  ACSOM - Caribbean Medical School (New!) bjcheung77 9 1,156 09-05-2023, 12:19 PM
Last Post: Duneranger