Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Transferring the good with the bad credits
I'm doing my research on starting this whole DIY degree and I have a couple of questions. I'm trying to decide if I should transfer my approx 30 credits from 2 schools. I attempted a lot more than 30 credits. Along with those 30 credits will be a whole bunch of Fs. Will that negatively impact me? Or should I start from zero? I don't care about graduating with a high gpa but will those failed classes impact in some other way? Also I was an anthropology major and satisfied the 9 LL credits for that major. Any idea which program will take those anthro credits? Finally is there a post that defines all the acronyms? It can be confusing reading posts with all these acronyms and abbreviations trying to guess what they are. Thanks so much

Edit: so I guess my GPA does matter. The program I want to get into is Nevada Alternate Route Licensure (ARL) for the Nv teaching Credential. The program says you need a bachelor degree from an RA with a gpa of your final 60 hours of 2.5 or above. So if I test and transfer into a big 3 school and take the Capstone get an A will my GPA be 4.0 and good? Or would I actually need 60 hours of actual class and testing out won't work. Please if anyone has gotten a teaching Credential with a big 3 diy degree in the manner described here how did the GPA requirements work? Thank you
You don't actually get to choose whether to use your old credits. The school you get the bachelor's from will require all of your transcripts before allowing you to graduate, so you might as well send them in to start. The credential program will also require all transcripts, so there's no hiding your bad grades. Good news is that the Fs won't matter for the Big3, they will simply ignore them, and use what they can from your old transcripts. Now on your GPA, yes your Big3 GPA will consist of only the cornerstone and capstone. Whether that will satisfy the credential program you want to get into will probably have to be answered by the school as requirements vary. I'd recommend calling them and telling them that you will have a lot of credit/no credit courses, and about the Fs and seeing what they say.

It's possible that you will have to take real, graded courses to balance out those bad grades or you may be fine.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
Suggestion - if your goal is to become a teacher in Nevada instead of opting for the Nevada Alternate Route have you considered just going through WGU and become a teacher in a more traditional route. I would apply (it's free) to them get evaluated with the credits you do have, and then report back as we can help you get any other credits that you're missing that can be transferred in (you can apply and keep transferring in up to the program max; up until you enroll - no more transferring into WGU once you enroll)
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

[-] The following 1 user Likes allvia's post:
  • davewill
(02-06-2020, 01:01 AM)jpotter702 Wrote: I'm doing my research on starting this whole DIY degree and I have a couple of questions. I'm trying to decide if I should transfer my approx 30 credits from 2 schools. I attempted a lot more than 30 credits. Along with those 30 credits will be a whole bunch of Fs. Will that negatively impact me? Or should I start from zero? I don't care about graduating with a high gpa but will those failed classes impact in some other way? Also I was an anthropology major and satisfied the 9 LL credits for that major. Any idea which program will take those anthro credits? Finally is there a post that defines all the acronyms? It can be confusing reading posts with all these acronyms and abbreviations trying to guess what they are. Thanks so much

Edit: so I guess my GPA does matter. The program I want to get into is Nevada Alternate Route Licensure (ARL) for the Nv teaching Credential. The program says you need a bachelor degree from an RA with a gpa of your final 60 hours of 2.5 or above. So if I test and transfer into a big 3 school and take the Capstone get an A will my GPA be 4.0 and good? Or would I actually need 60 hours of actual class and testing out won't work. Please if anyone has gotten a teaching Credential with a big 3 diy degree in the manner described here how did the GPA requirements work? Thank you

I am in essentially the same boat.  Transfer all of your credits to one of the big three and they just won't use your credits that don't fit (the F's).  Now as for the GPA requirements for the ARL (I am doing something very similar but in TX) contact some of the ARL providers and ask if they accept CR or P credits.  These obviously will not receive a letter grade from your college of choice, however, some of the ARL providers consider these to be a B here in TX.  I've inquired with several different Alt cert programs here and as long as your conferred degree has above a 2.5 GPA then you're good to go.  It may or may not be the same in NV though so your best bet is to call and explain to them that you will be testing out for the majority of your degree and ask the providers if the conferred GPA on your Degree Transcript is above the 2.5 is that good enough, or will they take a cumulative between all of the colleges you have attended. I highly recommend calling them as opposed to email or FB messages because this is generally something you need to explain to them on the phone.
BALS Social Sciences - TESU 2020
ASNSM Computer Science - TESU 2020
[-] The following 2 users Like darthweezy's post:
  • davewill, suzycupcake
If they say last 60 hours I'm pretty sure you will need to take real graded courses. MAYBE you can get COSC to "grade" the transfers if they are sent directly (not through ACE). However you'd have to check that w/ COSC and this would only work if on the "transcript" grades/percentages are shown.
UEXCELs show grades at TESU. That might be an option?
Achieved
BSBA - GM: TESU
BSc(Hons) Politics: University of Plymouth
GradCert in Computing: London Metropolitan University
Prince2 Certified
Lean Six Sigma Green Belt

In Progress
Certificate in Technology Leadership: Cornell University (free through employer)

Planned
Master in Public Administration: Marconi University
Certificate in Accounting: Cornell University

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Diné College: $55 Credit Hour, $660 Full Time (12+ credits) Ares 19 1,721 02-23-2024, 11:14 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  If I transfer OTHM Diploma into US University, will they be counted as RA credits? lucillegyl 7 585 02-15-2024, 09:42 AM
Last Post: lucillegyl
  No ACE credits on ACTFL exam? Aikuroa 12 1,194 01-09-2024, 07:05 PM
Last Post: vetvso
  Salvaging FEMA credits CaughtInTheRye12 6 473 12-28-2023, 11:57 PM
Last Post: CaughtInTheRye12
  Recommendations For 18 LL or 9 UL Social Science Credits harrypotter 3 381 11-08-2023, 07:27 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Cheapest way to complete CS prerequisites (RA Credits)? therightstuff 18 1,788 11-01-2023, 02:13 AM
Last Post: therightstuff
Information 3 credits in quantitative reasoning for $39 (ACE) MNomadic 92 18,512 10-30-2023, 04:02 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  What if my Degree contains too many Transfered Credits from Sophia etc.? ecdw94 19 2,767 10-17-2023, 05:56 PM
Last Post: midnite123
  So... I Asked IU if they accept ACE credits, they do! elcastor21 21 1,647 09-26-2023, 12:00 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Fast, Self Paced, preferrably cheap RA credits elcastor21 6 869 09-12-2023, 08:20 PM
Last Post: Cofffeee