Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Troops to Teacher
Hi. Anyone on the forum who completed the Troops to Teacher program? Yearsss after they/you got out of the military? How was the program? What exactly did they do for you? I see they may fund some aspects if you "qualify," which I don't expect to since it's been awhile since I got out. Just looking at options...and others' experiences. 

https://www.dantes.doded.mil/EducationPrograms/become-a-teacher/troopstoteachers.html
https://www.proudtoserveagain.com/Opportunities 

Thirty-one states offer local Troops to Teachers (TTT) program assistance to participants.
TTT state grants were awarded to help local state education departments and agencies assist TTT participants with local counseling on teacher certification, gaining employment at schools, and program guidance. These local offices become the front line to help members gain the knowledge necessary to meet teaching requirements for employment in each individual state.
TTT grant offices are located in the following states:

• Alabama

• Arizona

• Connecticut

• Florida

• Georgia

• Hawaii

• Kansas

• Michigan

• New York

• North Carolina

• Ohio

• Oklahoma

• Pennsylvania

• Texas

• Virginia
The following states have formed a TTT grant consortium:

• Colorado and New Mexico

• Missouri and Iowa

• Montana and Alaska, Idaho, Minnesota, North Dakota, Oregon, South Dakota, Washington, Wisconsin, and Wyoming

• New Jersey and Delaware
State Grant Office Contact Information
Finding TTT state grant office contact information is easy. Follow the steps below:

• Visit the TTT website, www.proudtoserveagain.com

• Scroll down to the state map

• Click on the state you are interested in

• Scroll down to "State Contact" for grant office contact information
The TTT Program Office provides assistance to those interested in teaching in the nineteen states without a local grant office. Questions can be sent via email to ttt@navy.mil or by calling 800-231-6242 for assistance.
Grant Background:
In conjunction with the Defense Human Resources Activity (DHRA), the Defense Activity for Non-Traditional Education Support (DANTES) released a Broad Agency Announcement (BAA), under the authorizing statute in 10 USC 1154(h) (2) (A), which permits the Secretary of Defense to make grants to states or consortia of such states in order to support efforts of recruiting eligible current and former members of the armed forces for participation in the Troops to Teachers program and facilitating the employment of participants as elementary school teachers, secondary school teachers, and career or technical teachers. Fiscal Year (FY) 2018 grants help the states selected provide services for a term of up to 5 years through May 2023.
BA, Religion, AMU, 2019, Summa Cum Laude & Class Speaker
AA, General Ed., AMU, 2016

RA: Northern Virginia CC; St. Leo Univ.

Alt Credit:
Sophia: Developing Effective Teams
TEEX: Cyber Security for Everyone; Cyber Security for IT Professionals
SL: Intro. to Religion (the class 1 transferred to AMU-wish I had known sooner)

Angel 
Unlisted USArmy and Fed govt prof credentials
(09-25-2020, 03:55 PM)warriortaupou Wrote: Hi. Anyone on the forum who completed the Troops to Teacher program? Yearsss after they/you got out of the military? How was the program? What exactly did they do for you? I see they may fund some aspects if you "qualify," which I don't expect to since it's been awhile since I got out. Just looking at options...and others' experiences. 

https://www.dantes.doded.mil/EducationPrograms/become-a-teacher/troopstoteachers.html
https://www.proudtoserveagain.com/Opportunities 

Thirty-one states offer local Troops to Teachers (TTT) program assistance to participants.
TTT state grants were awarded to help local state education departments and agencies assist TTT participants with local counseling on teacher certification, gaining employment at schools, and program guidance. These local offices become the front line to help members gain the knowledge necessary to meet teaching requirements for employment in each individual state.
TTT grant offices are located in the following states:
  • Alabama

• Arizona

• Connecticut

• Florida

• Georgia

• Hawaii

• Kansas

• Michigan

• New York

• North Carolina

• Ohio

• Oklahoma

• Pennsylvania

• Texas

• Virginia
The following states have formed a TTT grant consortium:
  • Colorado and New Mexico

• Missouri and Iowa

• Montana and Alaska, Idaho, Minnesota, North Dakota, Oregon, South Dakota, Washington, Wisconsin, and Wyoming

• New Jersey and Delaware
State Grant Office Contact Information
Finding TTT state grant office contact information is easy. Follow the steps below:
  • Visit the TTT website, www.proudtoserveagain.com

• Scroll down to the state map

• Click on the state you are interested in

• Scroll down to "State Contact" for grant office contact information
The TTT Program Office provides assistance to those interested in teaching in the nineteen states without a local grant office. Questions can be sent via email to ttt@navy.mil or by calling 800-231-6242 for assistance.
Grant Background:
In conjunction with the Defense Human Resources Activity (DHRA), the Defense Activity for Non-Traditional Education Support (DANTES) released a Broad Agency Announcement (BAA), under the authorizing statute in 10 USC 1154(h) (2) (A), which permits the Secretary of Defense to make grants to states or consortia of such states in order to support efforts of recruiting eligible current and former members of the armed forces for participation in the Troops to Teachers program and facilitating the employment of participants as elementary school teachers, secondary school teachers, and career or technical teachers. Fiscal Year (FY) 2018 grants help the states selected provide services for a term of up to 5 years through May 2023.

I have not specifically had any experience with this program but they are generally State funded grants outside of the federal VA system. This post is probably better seen and answered in the Military discussion page.

I posted it here since the last discussions on Troops to Teachers were posted under General Ed. But, I got the message.

Alt Credit:

Angel 
(09-25-2020, 07:01 PM)warriortaupou Wrote: I posted it here since the last discussions on Troops to Teachers were posted under General Ed. But, I got the message.

No worries, I just wanted to try to get you the best exposure since I dont have experience with the program. From what I've heard at least in Virginia, it is a pretty straightforward thing, you apply and finish a programmatic bachelors and many of the states just waive the other requirements and give you the teachers certification, pick up the bill and then you owe something like 3 years or whatever back to the public education system in the identified high-risk/high-profile school near you. Similar to the ROTC obligation to the military. I do know it's a great program for those who complete it and there are very little drawbacks besides incurring the state education obligation (should one decide suddenly they dont want to teach in the public school system). However, anything else I would have to say about it would simply be conjecture so I will abstain.

(09-28-2020, 04:38 PM)Mikimiki Wrote:
(09-26-2020, 11:08 AM)BBryant165 Wrote:
(09-25-2020, 07:01 PM)warriortaupou Wrote: I posted it here since the last discussions on Troops to Teachers were posted under General Ed. But, I got the message.

No worries, I just wanted to try to get you the best exposure since I dont have experience with the program. From what I've heard at least in Virginia, it is a pretty straightforward thing, you apply and finish a programmatic bachelors and many of the states just waive the other requirements and give you the teachers certification, pick up the bill and then you owe something like 3 years or whatever back to the public education system in the identified high-risk/high-profile school near you. Similar to the ROTC obligation to the military. I do know it's a great program for those who complete it and there are very little drawbacks besides incurring the state education obligation (should one decide suddenly they dont want to teach in the public school system). However, anything else I would have to say about it would simply be conjecture so I will abstain.

Thanks, it was very helpful.

Getting off topic for a second, your username @mikimiki sounds very Polynesian.

Alt Credit:

Angel 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Alternative Teacher Licensure rlw74 10 1,562 02-08-2023, 08:37 PM
Last Post: hennygrean
  Teacher with $303,000 in student debt... bjcheung77 13 1,896 06-08-2022, 09:22 PM
Last Post: freeloader
Rainbow Becoming A Teacher Accountability livelovelaugh91897 4 1,750 09-25-2020, 07:08 PM
Last Post: warriortaupou
  NYC Teacher CLEP Redemption Question dmatukian 7 1,581 02-28-2019, 02:34 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  Goal: Music Teacher cookderosa 13 4,629 11-03-2018, 04:18 AM
Last Post: cookderosa
  CLEP for Teacher Plus 30 dmatukian 3 2,005 08-24-2017, 09:08 AM
Last Post: dmatukian
  UNC and NC State Offering Competency-Based Teacher Preparation sanantone 7 2,676 02-24-2017, 12:59 AM
Last Post: sacredrain
  Steps to Teacher Certification in New York State vaberella 1 1,486 08-31-2015, 09:53 AM
Last Post: Lindagerr
  Doing Nursing WGU out of state./ teacher program yb1 4 1,582 05-31-2015, 10:43 PM
Last Post: GoodYellowDogs
  NYC Substitute Teacher Renewel Acceptable Exams Lucimacabee 2 1,025 08-13-2014, 06:34 PM
Last Post: alejandro527