Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trying to figure this thing out. :)
Hi all!  I am new here.  I have between 36-49 credits from my community college that I can transfer in already.  I give this broad range because a local university only would accept 36 of them, but I haven't had TESU look at it to tell me what they would accept.

That being said, I am trying to form some kind of plan, yet I don't know how to determine what courses at places like Sophia and Study.com would apply to the requirements for a degree.  Maybe I am not finding the right list from TESU.

I am still wafting between Psychology or History, but will use History as an example.

At this link: https://www.tesu.edu/heavin/ba/history

The following is posted: 

TESU BA History

I. General Education Requirements
A. Intellectual and Practical Skills
  • Written Communication
(6)
  • Oral Communication
(3)
  • Quantitative Literacy
(3)
  • Information Literacy
    SOS-110: Critical Information Literacy
(3)
B. Civic and Global Learning
  • Diversity
(3)
  • Ethics
(3)
  • Civic Engagement
(3)
C. Knowledge of Human Cultures
D. Understanding the Physical and Natural World
4-7
E. General Education Electives
17-20
II. Area of Study: History
A. Required Courses
  • Western Civilization I & II (one year)
(6)
OR

• World History I & II (one year)
(6)
  • American History I & II(one year)
(6)
  • Non-Western/Non-U.S. History (e.g., Africa, Asia, Latin American, Middle East) (one semester)
(3)
  • Historical Methods/Historiography
(3)
B. Capstone
  • LIB-495 Liberal Arts Capstone
(3)
C. History Electives*
  • African-American History
  • American Labor History
  • American Social History
  • American Urban History
  • Civil War and Reconstruction
  • Classical Greece & Rome
  • England in the Middle Ages
  • History of Mexico
  • History of New Jersey
  • History of Religion
  • History of the Vietnam War
  • Male and Female in American History
  • Modern Britain
  • Modern France
  • Modern Germany
  • The American South
  • The Cold War
  • The Reformation
  • The Renaissance
  • The Supreme Court in American History
  • War and Peace in the Nuclear Age
D. Requirements

• Courses transferred to Thomas Edison State University are equated to the following levels: 100, 200, 300 or 400. A minimum of 18 credits equating to 300 or 400 are required.

III. Electives
Total Credits

How do I got about determining what fits each of these courses?
You can go to https://www.tesu.edu/admissions/transfer-credit and check to see if your CC and its classes are listed there. If it's not listed, that doesn't mean that it won't be accepted. It only means that nobody else has transferred that class to TESU yet.

There is also https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Sa...egree_Plan to show what fits where. It's not guaranteed but it should give you a good idea.

That said, for your CC credits, the best way to find out what TESU will take them as would be to apply to TESU and send in your transcripts.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • elledee2020
Here's a list of what you can use from Sophia for each GE area:

AREA A
WRITTEN COMMUNICATION: English Comp I & II
ORAL COMMUNICATION: Public Speaking
QUANTITATIVE LITERACY: College Algebra or Intro to Statistics

AREA B
DIVERSITY: Intro to Sociology
ETHICAL LEADERSHIP: Intro to Ethics
CIVIC ENGAGEMENT: NOT AVAILABLE

AREA C
Approaches to Studying Religions
Art History I & II
Conflict Resolution
Visual Communications
Ancient Greek Philosophers
Macro & Microeconomics
Intro to Psychology

AREA D
Environmental Science
Human Biology
Intro to IT

GE ELECTIVES
The Essentials of Managing Conflict (1cr)
Any of the above not already used

FREE ELECTIVES
Intro to Business
Accounting (can also be used in Business Core)
Project Management (can also be used in Business AOS)
Developing Effective Teams (1cr) (can also be used in Business AOS)

HISTORY CORE
US History I & II
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now, if you want to use SL or Study.com, you can use similar courses.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For the HISTORY CORE (AOS), here are the best options (all from Study.com for ease):

WESTERN CIVILIZATION I - HIS 101: Western Civilization I
WESTERN CIVILIZATION II - HIS 102: Western Civilization II
AMERICAN HISTORY I - HIS 103: US History I
AMERICAN HISTORY II - HIS 104: US History II
NON-WESTERN/NON-US HISTORY - not available
HISTORICAL METHODS/HISTORIOGRAPHY - HIS 301: Historiography & Historical Methods

ELECTIVES (12cr)
HIS 105: US History from Settlement to Present Day
HIS 106: The Civil War & Reconstruction
HIS 306: The American Civil War Era (UL)
HIS 108: History of the Vietnam War
HIS 308: Causes & Effects of the Vietnam War (UL)
HIS 307: American Civil Rights Movement
HIS 309: War & American Society
HIS 311: The Holocaust and WWII (UL)

For Non-Western/Non-US History, your cheapest bet is the DSST - History of the Soviet Union (UL). But it will depend on whether you can find an open testing center. There are other options as well.
Last, I would also consider Excelsior, since they also have a BA in History, and they have an interesting deal where if you take 7cr there (minimum required - the cornerstone, capstone and 1cr Info Lit), then it's $5300. BUT, if you take 2 additional courses (and obviously you'd want 2 UL History courses), then your cost would be $5850.

The only issue is that they accept only 1 Study.com course as UL for some reason. But they have an UL UExcel exam.

BUT, another option is to do a BALS at EC, with History and Psych as your 2 Areas of Focus, which will both be listed on your transcript. Then you'd only need 2 UL courses + 5 LL courses for each AOF, which is much easier to pull off.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • elledee2020
(11-13-2020, 08:28 PM)dfrecore Wrote: Here's a list of what you can use from Sophia for each GE area:

AREA A
WRITTEN COMMUNICATION: English Comp I & II
QUANTITATIVE LITERACY: College Algebra or Intro to Statistics

AREA B

AREA C
Art History I & II
Conflict Resolution
Visual Communications
Macro & Microeconomics
Intro to Psychology

AREA D
Environmental Science
Human Biology
Intro to IT

GE ELECTIVES
The Essentials of Managing Conflict (1cr)
Any of the above not already used

FREE ELECTIVES
Intro to Business
Accounting (can also be used in Business Core)
Project Management (can also be used in Business AOS)
Developing Effective Teams (1cr) (can also be used in Business AOS)

HISTORY CORE
US History I & II
Now, if you want to use SL or Study.com, you can use similar courses.

For the HISTORY CORE (AOS), here are the best options (all from Study.com for ease):

WESTERN CIVILIZATION I - HIS 101: Western Civilization I
WESTERN CIVILIZATION II - HIS 102: Western Civilization II
AMERICAN HISTORY I - HIS 103: US History I
AMERICAN HISTORY II - HIS 104: US History II
NON-WESTERN/NON-US HISTORY - not available
HISTORICAL METHODS/HISTORIOGRAPHY - HIS 301: Historiography & Historical Methods

ELECTIVES (12cr)
HIS 105: US History from Settlement to Present Day
HIS 106: The Civil War & Reconstruction
HIS 306: The American Civil War Era (UL)
HIS 108: History of the Vietnam War
HIS 308: Causes & Effects of the Vietnam War (UL)
HIS 307: American Civil Rights Movement
HIS 309: War & American Society
HIS 311: The Holocaust and WWII (UL)

For Non-Western/Non-US History, your cheapest bet is the DSST - History of the Soviet Union (UL).  But it will depend on whether you can find an open testing center.  There are other options as well.
Last, I would also consider Excelsior, since they also have a BA in History, and they have an interesting deal where if you take 7cr there (minimum required - the cornerstone, capstone and 1cr Info Lit), then it's $5300.  BUT, if you take 2 additional courses (and obviously you'd want 2 UL History courses), then your cost would be $5850.

The only issue is that they accept only 1 Study.com course as UL for some reason.  But they have an UL UExcel exam.

BUT, another option is to do a BALS at EC, with History and Psych as your 2 Areas of Focus, which will both be listed on your transcript.  Then you'd only need 2 UL courses + 5 LL courses for each AOF, which is much easier to pull off.

Wow!  Thanks!  I will have to look into the BALS from EC.  I was learning towards TESU mostly because of being able to do the majority of classes outside of their own coursework.  It's a lot to try to plan out and determine which is best.  I would love to be able to finish this in 18 months or so.  Hence, wanting to do as much as possible via Sophia, etc.

(11-13-2020, 08:21 PM)rachel83az Wrote: You can go to https://www.tesu.edu/admissions/transfer-credit and check to see if your CC and its classes are listed there. If it's not listed, that doesn't mean that it won't be accepted. It only means that nobody else has transferred that class to TESU yet.

There is also https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Sa...egree_Plan to show what fits where. It's not guaranteed but it should give you a good idea.

That said, for your CC credits, the best way to find out what TESU will take them as would be to apply to TESU and send in your transcripts.

I looked and about 25 of them show up.  They have 134 equivalencies total, so I think some of the course codes and names may have changed since I was there 20 years ago.  Sigh.  But I do feel good about what is there.  Thanks for this info!
(11-13-2020, 08:46 PM)elledee2020 Wrote: I looked and about 25 of them show up.  They have 134 equivalencies total, so I think some of the course codes and names may have changed since I was there 20 years ago.  Sigh.  But I do feel good about what is there.  Thanks for this info!

If you list your courses here, I can tell you where they'll most likely come in at EC & TESU.  Do it this way:

School (CC or 4yr; RA or NA; semester or quarter based)
Course #, course name, grade if less than a C, # of credits

Repeat if there is more than 1 school.  And you don't have to put the names of the schools, but at least give info about them.

Also, try to give a full and complete course name, even if your transcript doesn't say it - expand on it, so we have the correct info.
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • elledee2020
(11-13-2020, 09:16 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(11-13-2020, 08:46 PM)elledee2020 Wrote: I looked and about 25 of them show up.  They have 134 equivalencies total, so I think some of the course codes and names may have changed since I was there 20 years ago.  Sigh.  But I do feel good about what is there.  Thanks for this info!

If you list your courses here, I can tell you where they'll most likely come in at EC & TESU.  Do it this way:

School (CC or 4yr; RA or NA; semester or quarter based)
Course #, course name, grade if less than a C, # of credits

Repeat if there is more than 1 school.  And you don't have to put the names of the schools, but at least give info about them.

Also, try to give a full and complete course name, even if your transcript doesn't say it - expand on it, so we have the correct info.
All are from my Community College.  I'd have to check RA or NA.  Semester based.  I am copying and pasting, so forgive weird formatting.  All grades were A&B except 1 C in one of the Econs (first one, I think)

ENG
College Composition 1
ENG
College Composition 2

ENG
Survey of English Literature 1
ENG
Survey of English Literature 2

CHM
College Chemistry 1
CHM
College Chemistry 2

HIS
United States History 1
HIS
United States History 2

SPA
Intermediate Spanish 1
SCM
Intro to American Sign Language

BUS
Intro to Business Information Systems

MTH
Precalculus 1
MTH
Applied Calculus 1

ECO
Principles of Economics 1
ECO
Principles of Economics 2

PED
Bowling 1
IST
PC Repair
So TESU and EC will take all 49cr that you have.

I figured out the easiest plan for you to get a TESU BALS w/concentration in Psych (no History concentration sadly):

3 GE ELECTIVE COURSES FROM THIS LIST:
Art History I
Art History II
Conflict Resolution
Visual Communications
Intro to Psychology
Environmental Science
Human Biology
Intro to IT
The Essentials of Managing Conflict (1cr) - THIS WILL WORK AS 1 OF YOUR COURSES, SINCE YOU ONLY ACTUALLY NEED 7CR

AND 7-8 FREE ELECTIVE COURSES (DEPENDING ON IF YOU TAKE THE 1CR COURSE):
Intro to Business
Accounting
Project Management
Developing Effective Teams (1cr) THIS WILL WORK IF YOU TAKE THE 1CR COURSE ABOVE
or any GE Elective course not used in GE

Then switch to Study.com for your Civic Engagement requirement, your UL Psych courses, and your LL Psych courses.
PSY 312: History & Systems of Psychology
Psy 310: Psychology of Personality
BUS 323: Organizational Theory
PSY 301: Industrial/Organizational Psychology
PSY 107: Lifespan Developmental Psychology
PSY 106: Abnormal Psychology
PSY 104: Social Psychology
AND ONE ADDITIONAL UL COURSE THAT COMES IN AS A LIBERAL STUDIES COURSE (History would definitely work here)

Then you sign up for the cornerstone and capstone and you're done!

For EC, to get the BALS w/AOF in History AND Psych, you'd do the following:

Sophia
Intro to Ethics
Intro to Psych
Developing Effective Teams or The Essentials of Managing Conflict (1cr each)
5 courses that will work in Free Electives
Any 4 courses (free electives)

Study.com
HIS 311: The Holocaust and WWII
3 LL History courses
4 LL Psych courses
4 UL Liberal Studies courses

UExcel:
HISx340: World Conflicts Since 1900
2 UL Psych exams

Then enroll and take Info Lit, the Cornerstone (UL) and Capstone and you're done.

I think TESU is easier and a bit faster because fewer UL to take, and EC will be a bit cheaper.

They will both also take Coopersmith, which has some UL Psych and UL History courses if you want to swap some things around.
(11-17-2020, 04:27 PM)dfrecore Wrote: So TESU and EC will take all 49cr that you have.

I figured out the easiest plan for you to get a TESU BALS w/concentration in Psych (no History concentration sadly):

3 GE ELECTIVE COURSES FROM THIS LIST:
Art History I
Art History II
Conflict Resolution
Visual Communications
Intro to Psychology
Environmental Science
Human Biology
Intro to IT
The Essentials of Managing Conflict (1cr) - THIS WILL WORK AS 1 OF YOUR COURSES, SINCE YOU ONLY ACTUALLY NEED 7CR

AND 7-8 FREE ELECTIVE COURSES (DEPENDING ON IF YOU TAKE THE 1CR COURSE):
Intro to Business
Accounting
Project Management
Developing Effective Teams (1cr) THIS WILL WORK IF YOU TAKE THE 1CR COURSE ABOVE
or any GE Elective course not used in GE

Then switch to Study.com for your Civic Engagement requirement, your UL Psych courses, and your LL Psych courses.
PSY 312: History & Systems of Psychology
Psy 310: Psychology of Personality
BUS 323: Organizational Theory
PSY 301: Industrial/Organizational Psychology
PSY 107: Lifespan Developmental Psychology
PSY 106: Abnormal Psychology
PSY 104: Social Psychology
AND ONE ADDITIONAL UL COURSE THAT COMES IN AS A LIBERAL STUDIES COURSE (History would definitely work here)

Then you sign up for the cornerstone and capstone and you're done!

For EC, to get the BALS w/AOF in History AND Psych, you'd do the following:

Sophia
Intro to Ethics
Intro to Psych
Developing Effective Teams or The Essentials of Managing Conflict (1cr each)
5 courses that will work in Free Electives
Any 4 courses (free electives)

Study.com
HIS 311: The Holocaust and WWII
3 LL History courses
4 LL Psych courses
4 UL Liberal Studies courses

UExcel:
HISx340: World Conflicts Since 1900
2 UL Psych exams

Then enroll and take Info Lit, the Cornerstone (UL) and Capstone and you're done.

I think TESU is easier and a bit faster because fewer UL to take, and EC will be a bit cheaper.

They will both also take Coopersmith, which has some UL Psych and UL History courses if you want to swap some things around.
Thank you!  The more I have thought about it, the more I really want to do the history because I'd like to work towards a teacher's certificate to teach it.  Of course, I can do content exams to make that happen in our district, but I think it would be easier if I had already been studying history.  So I guess the EC route would give me those studies.  With UExcel, how do I go about prepping for those?  Do they provide materials or am I on my own?
To give you something else to consider....UMPI has a BA in History/Political Science. They are a competency based program so you go at your own speed. Everything for their degrees, they offer. They do accept transfer credit from other colleges and up to 30 ACE credits from a variety of places including Sophia. All of the courses contain all of the content necessary for the course as well. There's no outside reading needed.

https://online.umpi.edu/programs/ba-hist...ience.aspx
(11-17-2020, 07:08 PM)ss20ts Wrote: To give you something else to consider....UMPI has a BA in History/Political Science. They are a competency based program so you go at your own speed. Everything for their degrees, they offer. They do accept transfer credit from other colleges and up to 30 ACE credits from a variety of places including Sophia. All of the courses contain all of the content necessary for the course as well. There's no outside reading needed.

https://online.umpi.edu/programs/ba-hist...ience.aspx

So quick question - what are the GE Requirements? I am searching and can't find anything on that except that it's 40cr needed.

Also, it looks like with this double major, there is no room for electives (40cr of GE, then 48cr of History, +31cr of PoliSci that doesn't duplicate history requirements = 119cr)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Trying to figure out what other classes I would need. sach2380 6 674 06-11-2023, 09:54 PM
Last Post: sach2380