Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trying to finish up my degree by Summer!
Hey guys, so question. I applied to TESU and they did anan evaluati. Apparently they didn't get my clep and Dsst transcripts till recently, so they sent an email saying they got them and that u can only have two evaluations done till you enroll?                              So my question is I'm taking study.com classes now, how do I get my evaluation updated asai finishfvlasses online, since I wasn't planning to enroll till I take my capstone??  Huh

Also, I'm thinking to switch to a ba in liberal studies and an AA in communications...instead of a ba in communications cuz of the class equivalency issues for the major and cost to take them via tesu. Any advice on how to go about this... Can u apply for both degrees at once? Do I need to apply for an aa first?
Have you already taken the cornerstone (or had it waived when it was still available through study.com?).  If you need it then I would recommend getting that done, as its availability is limited (and it would enroll you).  Another option is to take a TECEP, that will enroll you for a year.  

I realize that you're thinking of dropping the BA in Communications for an AA in Communications (I don't think TESU has an AA in Communications, just the General AA) - I would have you look into getting a BALS for the lower cost vs giving up on the BA all together - plus any UL Communications courses you have already taken likely will work in the AOS. Plus depending on what you already have completed the BALS could be a low cost (as many Gen Ed subjects fit into it, and Gen Ed subjects are plentiful and found cheap - many well below the average $100 per course we often use as a baseline). I would suggest you email TESU and have them add the BALS (no concentration) and see just how close you are to completing it - they will usually add it within a day.
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

(03-06-2019, 04:16 PM)allvia Wrote: Have you already taken the cornerstone (or had it waived when it was still available through study.com?).  If you need it then I would recommend getting that done, as its availability is limited (and it would enroll you).  Another option is to take a TECEP, that will enroll you for a year.  

I realize that you're thinking of dropping the BA in Communications for an AA in Communications (I don't think TESU has an AA in Communications, just the General AA) - I would have you look into getting a BALS for the lower cost vs giving up on the BA all together - plus any UL Communications courses you have already taken likely will work in the AOS. Plus depending on what you already have completed the BALS could be a low cost (as many Gen Ed subjects fit into it, and Gen Ed subjects are plentiful and found cheap - many well below the average $100 per course we often use as a baseline).  I would suggest you email TESU and have them add the BALS (no concentration) and see just how close you are to completing it - they will usually add it within a day.
Hi. I am looking at a bals and an AA in comm, so both degrees. Since the requirements overlap for what I need. They do have an aa in communications as well. Since I only have a few classes left I figured I'd get an AA in communications since I can and it  wouldn't be letting my hard work in comm be pointless.
Where are you seeing an AA in Communications? It's not listed on the website
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link
(03-06-2019, 05:24 PM)mysonx3 Wrote: Where are you seeing an AA in Communications? It's not listed on the website

Oh! I found this this one listed for the Navy (not sure if it is limited to Navy, or military only) - https://www.tesu.edu/military/navy/aa-communication

(03-06-2019, 05:01 PM)Sb2013 Wrote:
(03-06-2019, 04:16 PM)allvia Wrote: Have you already taken the cornerstone (or had it waived when it was still available through study.com?).  If you need it then I would recommend getting that done, as its availability is limited (and it would enroll you).  Another option is to take a TECEP, that will enroll you for a year.  

I realize that you're thinking of dropping the BA in Communications for an AA in Communications (I don't think TESU has an AA in Communications, just the General AA) - I would have you look into getting a BALS for the lower cost vs giving up on the BA all together - plus any UL Communications courses you have already taken likely will work in the AOS. Plus depending on what you already have completed the BALS could be a low cost (as many Gen Ed subjects fit into it, and Gen Ed subjects are plentiful and found cheap - many well below the average $100 per course we often use as a baseline).  I would suggest .  Isyou email TESU and have them add the BALS (no concentration) and see just how close you are to completing it - they will usually add it within a day.
Hi. I am looking at a bals and an AA in comm, so both degrees. Since the requirements overlap for what I need. They do have an aa in communications as well. Since I only have a few classes left I figured I'd get an AA in communications since I can and it  wouldn't be letting my hard work in comm be pointless.

Ah, that makes sense - I did the same with the ASNSM in Computer Science (was going BSBA, but had all those CS LL credits - why waste them). Is the Navy AA in Communication the same program? Has it already been added to your evaluation? Are you Navy (or other military)
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

(03-06-2019, 05:37 PM)allvia Wrote:
(03-06-2019, 05:24 PM)mysonx3 Wrote: Where are you seeing an AA in Communications? It's not listed on the website

Oh! I found this this one listed for the Navy (not sure if it is limited to Navy, or military only) - https://www.tesu.edu/military/navy/aa-communication

I realize that you're thinking of dropping the BA in Communications for an AA in Communications (I don't think TESU has an AA in Communications, just the General AA) - I would have you look into getting a BALS for the lower cost vs giving up on the BA all together - plus any UL Communications courses you have already taken likely will work in the AOS. Plus depending on what you already have completed the BALS could be a low cost (as many Gen Ed subjects fit into it, and Gen Ed subjects are plentiful and found cheap - many well below the average $100 per course we often use as a baseline).  I would suggest .  Isyou email TESU and have them add the BALS (no concentration) and see just how close you are to completing it - they will usually add it within a day.

Ah, that makes sense - I did the same with the ASNSM in Computer Science (was going BSBA, but had all those CS LL credits - why waste them). Is the Navy AA in Communication the same program? Has it already been added to your evaluation? Are you Navy (or other military)
Whoa it pulls up in myevalumy eva..when u switch ur major etc to see what u need etc. I'm not in the Navy. I hope it's an option still...I emailed my advisor to confirm. Since it let me switch it in my evaluation page I assumed it was an option...?
(03-06-2019, 06:01 PM)Sb2013 Wrote:

Whoa it pulls up in myevalumy eva..when u switch ur major etc to see what u need etc. I'm not in the Navy. I hope it's an option still...I emailed my advisor to confirm. Since it let me switch it in my evaluation page I assumed it was an option...?

I see it now too when I go to my evaluation and look at the "What-If" Evaluator! Let us know what you find out from the advisor as to whether this degree is still an option. It's showing me that it requires 19 credits in communications (though it's counting my cornerstone, so if you're on a catalog that requires SOS-110 instead it might be different).

Assuming that someone is in a scenario where the cornerstone counts as 1 of their credits. Here are some options at common providers that have the COM prefix:

Public Speaking (available from many providers)

From Study.com:
Business Communication (COM-202)
Organizational Communication (COM-391)
Interpersonal Communication (COM-230)
Presentation Skills in the Workplace (COM-290)
Diversity and Intercultural Communication (COM-131)

From StraighterLine:
Introduction to Communication (COM-108)

From Sophia:
Visual Communications (COM-231)

TECEP:
Public Relations Thought & Practice (COM-210)

Additionally, though most people have a COM course in their Oral Communication spot, the Technical Communication TECEP definitely fits there, so could let you move a speech class to the AOS for this degree.

Needless to say, I am quite intrigued by this. Do let us know what you find out!
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link
(03-06-2019, 03:42 PM)Sb2013 Wrote: Hey guys, so question. I applied to TESU and they did anan evaluati. Apparently they didn't get my clep and Dsst transcripts till recently, so they sent an email saying they got them and that u can only have two evaluations done till you enroll?                              So my question is I'm taking study.com classes now, how do I get my evaluation updated asai finishfvlasses online, since I wasn't planning to enroll till I take my capstone??  Huh

The same thing happened to me, except it was my ACE credits that came in later. They ended up doing both of my evaluations back to back and didn't wait for my ACE credits to arrive first, so I ended up with only part of my credits being evaluated. You can sometimes get them to do a third free evaluation if you ask nicely and have a good reason, but I wouldn't count on it.

Personally, I just waited until I eventually enrolled 9 months later after completing a ton of additional courses. At that point, I resubmitted everything and had it all evaluated at once. The only downside is because they didn't process my ACE transcript until 9 months later, two of my UL courses ended up being reevaluated as LL by the time my ACE transcript was finally processed. Luckily it didn't hold me up.

(03-06-2019, 04:16 PM)allvia Wrote: Have you already taken the cornerstone (or had it waived when it was still available through study.com?).  If you need it then I would recommend getting that done, as its availability is limited (and it would enroll you).

Based on their post, it looks like they just applied. This means they are on the 2019A catalog and therefore must take SOS-110 for their cornerstone. So the option for the TES-100 cornerstone isn't available.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
(03-06-2019, 06:24 PM)mysonx3 Wrote:
(03-06-2019, 06:01 PM)Sb2013 Wrote:

I see it now too when I go to my evaluation and look at the "What-If" Evaluator! Let us know what you find out from the advisor as to whether this degree is still an option. It's showing me that it requires 19 credits in communications (though it's counting my cornerstone, so if you're on a catalog that requires SOS-110 instead it might be different).

Assuming that someone is in a scenario where the cornerstone counts as 1 of their credits. Here are some options at common providers that have the COM prefix:

Public Speaking (available from many providers)

From Study.com:
Business Communication (COM-202)
Organizational Communication (COM-391)
Interpersonal Communication (COM-230)
Presentation Skills in the Workplace (COM-290)
Diversity and Intercultural Communication (COM-131)

From StraighterLine:
Introduction to Communication (COM-108)

From Sophia:
Visual Communications (COM-231)

TECEP:
Public Relations Thought & Practice (COM-210)

Additionally, though most people have a COM course in their Oral Communication spot, the Technical Communication TECEP definitely fits there, so could let you move a speech class to the AOS for this degree.

Needless to say, I am quite intrigued by this. Do let us know what you find out!
So my advisor added an evaluation for AA in communicans for me to look over. I only need 3 required ge type classes and  my tes 100 class for it. Same 4 classes I need for my BALS plus my capstone to finish my bals degree. So I might go that route.
Be done quicker.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Sb2013's post:
  • allvia
So I've decided to go with a BA in liberal studies degree plan to finish up. I have an appointment with my advisor tomorrow. I'm hoping to have my degree plan mapped out so I can get approval for my classes to transfer in.
If anyone has some input or suggestions, on what classes to take for what requirements I have left, please let me know!! Or some easier classes to take for what I need...in trying to find classes with just quizzes/tests to take that aren't super boring.  I'm waiting for my evaluation to be updated with my DSST/ace/Clep transcripts.

So heres what I have left:
Transferring in... I have a Clep in humanities, Dsst in intro to business, and an ace transfer for the ethics requirement I took the free insurance test. 

Heres what and I need and am planning to take: 
-English102: planning to take the DSST Adv English Comp test
-Oral comm: planning on study.com comm 120, presentation skills
-Info literacy: planning on study.com library science
-Ethics: the free insurance test is done
-Tes 100: I'll take via TESU.. I will be asking about it being waived still if Ive taken 2 study.com classes. When I asked he didnt say yes or no he just said im not considered a study.com student till they get a transcript with at least 2 classes on it. Undecided

Additional General Education Electives: need 6 units

Liberal studies major classes (I have 26/30 sh):
Liberal Studies upper level: need 6 units
Liberal stud: have 17, needed 15.. so 2 over…wonder if that extra 2 can be used in a different area I need units in ??
Electives: need 9 units 
Capstone: 3 units, via TESU. 

I'll be asking about my tes 100 being waved, since I'm a study.com student and still under my catalog year of 2018.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  StraighterLine: do I have to complete everything to finish a course? jch 3 666 11-11-2023, 09:02 AM
Last Post: jch
Heart Is it possible to finish English composition II in one month on study.com? imkingta 16 1,837 07-22-2023, 11:11 PM
Last Post: jsh1138
  StraighterLine - Degree after 50! bjcheung77 4 1,381 04-03-2022, 08:58 AM
Last Post: NC Coach
  TEEX courses already applied to degree Seagull 6 1,148 03-31-2021, 10:44 AM
Last Post: P226mem
  college degree estherkay 12 1,899 03-18-2021, 03:15 PM
Last Post: estherkay
  How long did it take you to finish study.com’s Chemistry I? mcorye91 1 1,123 03-04-2021, 10:00 AM
Last Post: jsh1138
  Foreigner: any way to get a degree online - no CLEP DSST tomokaicho 21 2,499 01-22-2021, 01:29 PM
Last Post: monchevy
  if you finish a course at Sophia then cancel... adegree4me 2 4,710 12-20-2020, 11:29 AM
Last Post: adegree4me
  Degree from Sophia Courses Alone? McManus 8 3,714 12-11-2020, 03:35 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Any recommendation for websites like Sophia.org to finish "CS 1101 Programming Fund." ayman003 9 1,758 09-07-2020, 08:35 PM
Last Post: MNomadic