Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tuition Assistance Question - Military
So I am hop'n there is more military in here or somebody with some info!
Here's the deal-

October 1st the year starts over as far as the military is concerned which means our Tuition Assistance money restarts. I get out of service the 28th. Is there any schools, courses, anything that I could use alot of credits up in that 4 week window?? Any ideas?!
I'm not sure how that would work. When I was activated, the AD TA office wouldn't pay my tuition until I had orders stating that I was going to be extended atleast until the end of the semester. You have to be on AD when the class starts all the way till it ends. I know there are classes that you could finish in 4 weeks because they are self paced but they are usually scheduled for a whole semester. If the TA folks look at the class "end date" they will probably not pay it.

You're kind of in a weird spot because, by the time you separate, your GI Bill will kick in but the semester will have already started. Good news is that next year the new GI Bill is going to (no other way to say it)....KICK A$$! I'll probably quite my job and become a professional student!hilarious
You might be able to use TA for any TECEPS you want to take.
Jesse
BA, Thomas Edison State College
MS, Grand Canyon University
yea, its a tough squeeze to try to get some money outta the system. I might do the TE like mentioned and see what I can get done. Thanks for the replies!
check out LSU online. They offer self paced courses. You have 9 months to complete the course however there are only 15 assignments to turn in. The only thing is you cannot turn in more than 3 assignments per week. 15/3=5 weeks. Hope this helps.

ND2 Goble
Hello,
saiguanas is right, in order for TA to cover the course you have to be on active duty from the time the course starts until it finishes. I am running into the same issues since I will be getting out soon as well. I don't want to tap into my GI bill until absolutely neccessary.
[FONT="Verdana"]Tests Taken/Passed

DSST- Intro to BusinessBig Grin
DSST- Human Resource ManagementBig Grin
DSST- Human/Cultural GeographyBig Grin

BBA- Human Resource Managment- March 2009
AAS-Design- May 2002
dragonfly Wrote:Hello,
saiguanas is right, in order for TA to cover the course you have to be on active duty from the time the course starts until it finishes. I am running into the same issues since I will be getting out soon as well. I don't want to tap into my GI bill until absolutely neccessary.

Are you sure on that? I'm in the same boat, and my class would start on AD but may finish when i'm not on active duty, but my TA office said as long as when you started class u were on AD, or at least i thought they said that.
Principles of Management CLEP- 51
Principles of Supervision- Dsst- 61

Monroe Community college- (Actual class not clep)
Eng. 101
Sociology 101
Psychology 101
Lit 101
Statics
Pre Calc
Interpersonal speech
CRJ 101
Law 101
CRJ 103
CIS 101

*Not sure what CLEP to take next?:confused:
You can use the GI Bill while you're on active duty. I'd just do that.
Jesse
Don't use your MGI Bill, your better off using it when your out because you make money off of it, and to my understanding once it starts you only have three years to receive benefits. Check the facts, I know they always say don't use it until your out.... I would ask the education center. I would say you are allowed to sign up for three courses and it doesn't matter when they end. I say that because on the Portal under Education it says member who have gotten out of the service must either send in their grades or pay for the Tuition Assistance. I interpret that as being you can take it past you EOS date, but they better get a passing grade or you have to pay the money back..
I think you're a bit misinformed about the GI Bill. You get 36 months worth of benefits, not 36 months to use it. You have 10 years to use it, 15 with the new GI Bill.

And TA differs by service, so what's applicable to the AF doesn't necessarily apply to other branches. Each branch has it's own rules.

I'd use it when you need it. Don't worry about whether you're in or not. You'll save enough money by CLEPing out to make up for it.

20 Top FAQs for the New GI Bill - Education - Military.com
Jesse

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  opinion on military school for ADHD teen EducationSeeker 18 3,069 10-14-2022, 02:22 PM
Last Post: martamarti
  9/11 GI BILL QUESTION smf6824 5 2,041 03-10-2022, 04:04 AM
Last Post: Insert Name
  Reserve: Tuition Assistance Info bjcheung77 0 1,198 12-24-2021, 05:04 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Army Tuition Aid Stalled Alpha 0 1,205 06-13-2021, 10:14 AM
Last Post: Alpha
  ACE credit for possible military enlistment? dfrecore 33 5,803 05-27-2020, 09:59 PM
Last Post: anewmanx
  Tuition Discounts for VETS? terryd5150 10 4,017 05-25-2020, 02:42 AM
Last Post: Not_a_robot_101
  Have a military education exit strategy. vetvso 26 5,633 05-07-2020, 10:11 PM
Last Post: Life Long Learning
  20% off Coopersmith for Active Military Zachcleigh 0 1,802 12-04-2019, 12:37 PM
Last Post: Zachcleigh
  AMU Reducing Military-Affiliated Master's Tuition to $250/credit (and free books) TheMaskedMutant 1 1,902 11-22-2019, 12:16 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Military Residency Requirement natshar 3 1,956 07-08-2019, 11:13 AM
Last Post: natshar