Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Two Capstones and Cornerstone in one term? TESU BUS-421, LIB-495, & SOS-110.
Well after about 3 months of pure focus I am closing in on my goal. I have finished up almost my entire CS degree besides some gen eds and I have a just a few more business classes left. I have 43 classes done. Woot! Now I have to decide how hard it will be to do 2 capstones + the cornerstone in one semester. I will be graduating with:

1. ASNSM in Mathematics
2. BACS in Computer Science
3. BSBA in Finance & Computer Information Systems

I'd like some input from people on taking two capstones at once. Has anyone here done this? How much work was it? My biggest concern is getting a 4.0 on these three classes is non negotiable. I have to accomplish that. Is that doable? How hard are the courses? Is there anything I can do that will improve my chances of finishing everything and not getting snagged up? Anything I should know before I try to do this?
[-] The following 1 user Likes CanICode's post:
  • ACI
For the BSBA Capstone, my advice is to just pick a freaking topic and get started. I wasted SO much time trying to decide between the 3 options, and in the end, it did NOT matter.

The midterm is hard, but they do tell you what to study - and I would actually practice the essays, at least once each - that was what I didn't spend enough time doing.

I bought the book ahead of time (maybe a couple of weeks) and kept up with the reading and papers on a weekly basis - I read and took notes on Monday, wrote my discussion posts on Tuesdays, and did my Case Studies on Wednesday - and had no trouble maintaining that schedule the whole time. It was only at the very end, when I kind of freaked out about the final paper, that I wasted time that I shouldn't have - and then got really sick and had to ask for an extension.

Speaking of, don't forget that you can extend a course if you need to (there are rules). That's a very good strategy if you start to get overwhelmed. I'd finish the cornerstone as quickly as possible so that you can focus on the capstones, and allow yourself to postpone ONE of the capstones if you needed to. But there's a very good chance that you will be able to do all 3 courses easily if you focus and make it a priority.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 2 users Like dfrecore's post:
  • jch, origamishuttle
Also remember if you EVER have to turn in an assignment late, get permission from the mentor ahead of time. If you miss a deadline WITHOUT notifying the mentor, school policy requires them to dock points. If you get permission, they are able to give you full credit (and always did for me).
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 1 user Likes davewill's post:
  • jch
Working full time with a 1 year old, I found just the LIB-495 capstone to be tough to manage time wise. If you don't have a busy life, I'd guess the 9 hours is doable even working full time, but don't expect much in the way of "fun time" while doing it. If it is all you're doing, then I'd guess 100% doable. Not sure what the BSBA capstone consists of (also didn't do the cornerstone), but if there is any way to take a topic and dual purpose it - one writing a business plan (if thats what you do in the BSBA) and the other one doing the theoretical side of the same general idea - it might ease the burden of context switching since you'll be thinking about the same topic, just different context. Might even be able to reuse sources. Just spitballing, no idea what the other capstone actually entails.
Working Toward: ME-EM, CU Boulder (Coursera)
Completed: TESU - BA Computer Science, 2023; TESU - AAS Applied Electronic Studies, 2012; K-State -BS Political Science, 2016
I would not recommend doing them at the same time. For the BSBA the mid-term (know the lists!) and the paper is more than enough work; especially since for TESU these courses are where you're getting your overall GPA - attention matters.
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

I think a big thing is how much else you have on your plate? Do you have a job? Partner? Kids? Do you manage your household (chores, shopping, etc)? Do you have an active social life and volunteer commitments?

Is your job flexible (ie retail, food service) where you just change your availability and work less hrs? Can you ask your roommate/partner/kids/parents to take on some household duties temporarily? Would it be possible to temporarily dial back on social and volunteer obligations?

People on this board have taken all these at once it can be done. But there are only so many hrs in a day so dont stretch yourself too thin.

Another tip would be get as far ahead as you in SOS-110 at tge beginning while the capstones are still easy.

Also I don't know if you want more on your plate, but you really felt motivated and wanted to save money. You could take the 1cr 4 week easy pla-100 and then two suepr easy epack courses. (Something like Computer Concepts which I believe is basic MS office, etc). Epacks are more self-paced and offer more flexibility. Just an idea, but if you'd even struggle with 3 classes then adding 3 more classes even if they are a cakewalk probably wouldn't help.
[-] The following 1 user Likes natshar's post:
  • ACI
(03-12-2023, 02:29 AM)CanICode Wrote: Well after about 3 months of pure focus I am closing in on my goal. I have finished up almost my entire CS degree besides some gen eds and I have a just a few more business classes left. I have 43 classes done. Woot! Now I have to decide how hard it will be to do 2 capstones + the cornerstone in one semester. I will be graduating with:

1. ASNSM in Mathematics

I'd like some input from people on taking two capstones at once. Has anyone here done this? How much work was it? My biggest concern is getting a 4.0 on these three classes is non negotiable. I have to accomplish that. Is that doable? How hard are the courses? Is there anything I can do that will improve my chances of finishing everything and not getting snagged up? Anything I should know before I try to do this?

If you did two capstones in one term, you would have some bragging rights since I don't think anyone has done that yet

Tips On How to Get Straight A's
  1. Follow the rubric
  2. Know the APA format
  3. Study 15-20 hours for the midterm exam
  4. Pick good professors known for easy grading
  5. Use Grammarly or something similar
If you score too low on the midterm, it becomes mathematically impossible to get straight A's. I got a B on my midterm since I only studied for 7 hours. I should have studied double that, and as a result, I was completely lost on one of the essay questions.

When I started, I was spending 3 hours doing just one discussion forum response. At around the halfway point, I got the responses in under one hour. Usually, professors give 100% points for discussion, so you can save some time there and work on other things.

As far as time is concerned, I would budget 40 hours for the cornerstone and 80 hours for the capstones, give or take 20 hours.

Writing the liberal arts capstone ahead of time can save up to around 20 hours.

Reading the business capstone book ahead of time can save around 10 hours. I wouldn't overdo it, though. Just reading the first four chapters is enough.

If you do make a perfect 4.0, you'll make the President's List, and your name will be published on TESU's website.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
(03-27-2023, 05:21 PM)LevelUP Wrote:
(03-12-2023, 02:29 AM)CanICode Wrote: Well after about 3 months of pure focus I am closing in on my goal. I have finished up almost my entire CS degree besides some gen eds and I have a just a few more business classes left. I have 43 classes done. Woot! Now I have to decide how hard it will be to do 2 capstones + the cornerstone in one semester. I will be graduating with:

1. ASNSM in Mathematics

If you did two capstones in one term, you would have some bragging rights since I don't think anyone has done that yet

Tips On How to Get Straight A's
  1. Follow the rubric
  2. Know the APA format
  3. Study 15-20 hours for the midterm exam
  4. Pick good professors known for easy grading
  5. Use Grammarly or something similar
If you score too low on the midterm, it becomes mathematically impossible to get straight A's. I got a B on my midterm since I only studied for 7 hours. I should have studied double that, and as a result, I was completely lost on one of the essay questions.

When I started, I was spending 3 hours doing just one discussion forum response. At around the halfway point, I got the responses in under one hour. Usually, professors give 100% points for discussion, so you can save some time there and work on other things.

As far as time is concerned, I would budget 40 hours for the cornerstone and 80 hours for the capstones, give or take 20 hours.

Writing the liberal arts capstone ahead of time can save up to around 20 hours.

Reading the business capstone book ahead of time can save around 10 hours. I wouldn't overdo it, though. Just reading the first four chapters is enough.

If you do make a perfect 4.0, you'll make the President's List, and your name will be published on TESU's website.

Are there any awards a student can earn if they are only taking 3 graded classes at tesu?

Also, all of your tips seem very doable. Thank you.
(03-27-2023, 05:21 PM)LevelUP Wrote: If you did two capstones in one term, you would have some bragging rights since I don't think anyone has done that yet

Ayyyyyyy got em both. I get the grades back within 10 days but I think I will get 99+ in all 3 of my TESU courses.

LIB-495 Capstone
BUS-421 Capstone
SOS-110 Info Lit

I do NOT recommend GS for BUS-421. There were 11 extra papers that were 10x the work of forum posts. I took them because the only professor doing OL in the term had some super questionable reviews.

Anyways, just need to finish up some odds and ends and I am done. I am now deciding if I want to the extra few weeks to get the finance attachment over CIS.
[-] The following 3 users Like CanICode's post:
  • allvia, LevelUP, rachel83az
@CanICode, Great job! Hmm, I guess for those reading, when you take the BUS-421 Business Capstone, maybe find a term that has an online option instead of the guided study. It really depends on the student I guess, some like the discussion posts, some like the extra writing of papers...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Business 421 capstone | TESU | Tips from our members akr680 16 2,347 Yesterday, 11:51 PM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  Applying for a Master's in Computer Science with undergraduate degree from TESU DONG 9 530 04-11-2024, 03:27 PM
Last Post: spohara
  Cheapest/Fastest way to get TESU transcript only for ACE credits without degree cpaisannoying123 7 456 04-08-2024, 02:20 PM
Last Post: PLEX
Exclamation Doing a TESU BS Information Technology Degree in One Term Is Now Possible! LevelUP 7 480 04-05-2024, 11:24 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  TESU TECEP® APS-1000-TE Medical Terminology emmaya 6 261 04-02-2024, 10:56 PM
Information TESU Debuts New Logo jch 21 1,234 04-01-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  BSN Grant opportunity at TESU indigoshuffle 2 233 03-31-2024, 01:38 AM
  TESU Second degree jakill2 7 377 03-30-2024, 12:48 PM
  TESU Research Methods in Experimental Psychology amleigh 4 300 03-18-2024, 09:25 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  TESU Response Time For Application joshua27 3 279 03-02-2024, 02:24 PM
Last Post: joshua27