Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Two bachelor's degrees, same credits?
Ok - maybe a no brainer question but wondering:

You transfer credits into College A, complete degree requirements, graduate.

Later you want a different degree at College B. Can you transfer in the same credits you used to obtain first degree and earn second degree? (after fulfilling outstanding courses required?)

Let's say both schools are high transfer schools. I'm thinking how would College B know you already got a degree from College A? Is it some kind of fraud lol.

Thanks!
(10-15-2020, 10:38 AM)Clepper43 Wrote: Ok - maybe a no brainer question but wondering:

You transfer credits into College A, complete degree requirements, graduate.

Later you want a different degree at College B. Can you transfer in the same credits you used to obtain first degree and earn second degree? (after fulfilling outstanding courses required?)

Let's say both schools are high transfer schools. I'm thinking how would College B know you already got a degree from College A? Is it some kind of fraud lol.

Thanks!
It depends on the school. Some schools will take the gen. Ed. Courses while you complete the AOS.

Sent from my SM-G981V using DegreeForum.net mobile app
In Progress: CSU MS Occupational Safety | TESU BALS HR & Computer Science | TESU AAS Admin Studies
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, HRM

Completed: TESU AAS Environmental, Safety & Tech, BA in Environmental Studies/ Natural Science and Mathematics

[-] The following 1 user Likes ROYISAGIRL's post:
  • Clepper43
They do have a way to check if you already have a degree. If you do, they'll likely demand a transcript from the school that awarded the degree. Then, you have to do 20-30 new credits to get the new degree; depending on the school. It makes more sense to either play by the rules with the 2nd bachelor's or else just get a master's.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 2 users Like rachel83az's post:
  • Clepper43, Muldoon
Not exactly. If College B accepts your credits, you can transfer in however many they accept. You'll still need to complete x number of courses through them typically. Most schools will require an additional 30 credits of upper level coursework after you complete your first bachelor's degree. Yes, colleges already know when you have a degree conferred. It's on your transcripts and in the student clearing house. You're usually better off going for a master's degree.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • Clepper43
This is possible... but you'll need more credits for College B.
All Regionally Accredited community colleges and universities are part of the National Student Clearing House, they will have a copy of all colleges you have attended.  As a side note, SOME Nationally Accredited and Internationally Accredited schools are also on this clearing house as they also target the US market.  Having said that, yes, you can take all the courses from College A, transfer them to College B, and almost be done with the degree.  

Requirements for each school may differ slightly, here's an example, if I take a Business Management degree at Penn Foster and all their courses are ACE recommended for credit, you can transfer that to an RA school such as COSC if it meets all the requirements for the degree and be complete with your COSC BSBA by taking the final 6 credits from COSC - their cornerstone and capstone.  But why would you want duplicating degrees?

Again, this is possible, but if it was me, I would rather use the money from the cost of paying tuition for the cornerstone/capstone into say an MBA from Walden since they've got a 50% off the life of their program right now for many degree programs that they are offering.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • Clepper43
You can request that your school place a FERPA block. You'll purge from the NSC in two months. Or you can place the block upon enrollment and you'll avoid the database.

Sent from my iPhone using DegreeForum.net
MA in progress
Certificate in the Study of Capitalism - University of Arkansas
BS, Business  Administration - Ashworth College
Certificates in Accounting & Finance 
BA, Regents Bachelor of Arts - West Virginia University
AAS & AGS
[-] The following 1 user Likes videogamesrock's post:
  • Clepper43
(10-27-2020, 12:26 AM)videogamesrock Wrote: You can request that your school place a FERPA block. You'll purge from the NSC in two months. Or you can place the block upon enrollment and you'll avoid the database.

Your transcripts will still show that a degree has been conferred.
(10-27-2020, 12:18 PM)ss20ts Wrote:
(10-27-2020, 12:26 AM)videogamesrock Wrote: You can request that your school place a FERPA block. You'll purge from the NSC in two months. Or you can place the block upon enrollment and you'll avoid the database.

Your transcripts will still show that a degree has been conferred.

I think OP is saying they would like to double dip which one can with a FERPA block.

Sent from my typewriter.
MA in progress
Certificate in the Study of Capitalism - University of Arkansas
BS, Business  Administration - Ashworth College
Certificates in Accounting & Finance 
BA, Regents Bachelor of Arts - West Virginia University
AAS & AGS
(10-16-2020, 06:42 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: All Regionally Accredited community colleges and universities are part of the National Student Clearing House, they will have a copy of all colleges you have attended.  As a side note, SOME Nationally Accredited and Internationally Accredited schools are also on this clearing house as they also target the US market.  Having said that, yes, you can take all the courses from College A, transfer them to College B, and almost be done with the degree.  

Requirements for each school may differ slightly, here's an example, if I take a Business Management degree at Penn Foster and all their courses are ACE recommended for credit, you can transfer that to an RA school such as COSC if it meets all the requirements for the degree and be complete with your COSC BSBA by taking the final 6 credits from COSC - their cornerstone and capstone.  But why would you want duplicating degrees?

Again, this is possible, but if it was me, I would rather use the money from the cost of paying tuition for the cornerstone/capstone into say an MBA from Walden since they've got a 50% off the life of their program right now for many degree programs that they are offering.
Why everybody always worry about how people want to spend their money? A second degree is a second degree. It can be in a total different area from the first one and applicable towards a different career. A master degree can only build upon the type of bachelor degree he or she already has so pretty much useless if a person wants to change career. And much more expensive as well.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Utah Schools switching to the 3-year Bachelor Airamb 6 318 03-27-2024, 11:54 PM
Last Post: RachelB
  PUG IT transfer credits BritStudent 2 238 02-22-2024, 07:24 PM
Last Post: walruspanda
  Schools that accept ACE credits and allow 90cr in transfer bjcheung77 87 40,756 01-30-2024, 08:10 PM
Last Post: inor
  TAMUC Org Leadership-six UL credits needed StoicJ 20 2,563 12-13-2023, 09:11 PM
Last Post: ltw900rr
  xamk Free Bachelors Degrees gams007 19 4,165 11-29-2023, 06:29 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  List of RA brick and mortar schools that accept 75% of credits from SDC, Sophia, SL ausernameisneeded 19 1,916 09-30-2023, 02:30 PM
Last Post: ausernameisneeded
  Does CUNY SPS allow transfer credits after enrollment? MyRightHandIsBi 11 947 09-13-2023, 08:54 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  Limit On Degrees somechick 5 727 09-03-2023, 09:23 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  SNHU Transfer New Credits after Enrollment - Can or Can't? berlinerd 3 1,070 08-17-2023, 11:54 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Does Ana G. Mendez University accept ACE credits ande 7 705 07-11-2023, 02:07 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77