Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
UC Santa Barbara Writing 109 UL - TESU Appeal??
UCSB requires the following to meet their General Education Writing Requirements:

General Education Composition Requirement (Area A)

English Reading and Composition
Objective: To help students develop a facility in English composition.

Two courses are required. Writing 2, 2E, or 2LK, and one of the following: Writing 50, 50E, 50LK, 105A-Z, 107A-Z, 109AA-ZZ, or English 10, 10EM, 10LC.
Students must complete Writing 2, 2E, or 2LK by the end of their sixth quarter at UCSB. Further registration will be blocked for students who do not comply. The following courses cannot be dropped after the fifth day of instruction: Writing 1, 1E, 1LK, 2, 2E, 2LK, 50, 50E, 50LK. In addition, students cannot enroll in and receive credit for these courses (or their equivalents taken at another institution) until they have fulfilled the Entry Level Writing Requirement.

I have completed Writing 2 and the additional upper level writing course, Writing 109. TESU does not accept the upper level writing for their English Comp II requirement. I am stumped by this. Is there an appeal process for course evaluations? I have a phone advising appointment scheduled for tomorrow morning and I am planning to plead my case. If I can complete this area of the GE's the only thing I will have outstanding is the Info Lit and Capstone courses. I am planning to registering for the Capstone for March (late of course). 
What course code / name did they use for Writing 2 and Writing 109? Did Writing 2 come in as English Comp 2?

I had an issue with my Advanced Freshman Writing class from my B&M days duplicating my English Comp 2 from my Associates from my local CC. I appealed but was denied and ended up taking the English Comp 1 TECEP. Ended up working out, because TECEPs counted towards residency at the time and it was another 3 credits for the 24 credit requirement.
TESU - BSBA: CIS - Dec '17

TECEP Eng Comp I, Marriage and Family, Strategic Management, Networking, Computer Concepts, Liberal Math, Tech Writing, Managerial Accounting DSST MIS, Cybersecurity Study.com Macroeconomics COSC Cornerstone, Software Engineering Straighterline Business Ethics

Next:
  Related classes at local CC and various Cybersecurity certifications.

Old username:  ajs1976
(02-11-2018, 02:28 PM)ajs1976a Wrote: What course code / name did they use for Writing 2 and Writing 109?  Did Writing 2 come in as English Comp 2?

I had an issue with my Advanced Freshman Writing class from my B&M days duplicating my English Comp 2 from my Associates from my local CC.  I appealed but was denied and ended up taking the English Comp 1 TECEP.  Ended up working out, because TECEPs counted towards residency at the time and it was another 3 credits for the 24 credit requirement.

Writing 2 came over as ENC 101 (Academic Writing) and Writing 109 is listed as ENG 201 (Writ Science/Tech)
What UCSB requires for their writing requirement is irrelevant. What matters is whether the course you took is equivalent to TESU's ENG 2.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
Did you provide the course descriptions to TESU?
TESU - BSBA: CIS - Dec '17

TECEP Eng Comp I, Marriage and Family, Strategic Management, Networking, Computer Concepts, Liberal Math, Tech Writing, Managerial Accounting DSST MIS, Cybersecurity Study.com Macroeconomics COSC Cornerstone, Software Engineering Straighterline Business Ethics

Next:
  Related classes at local CC and various Cybersecurity certifications.

Old username:  ajs1976
(02-11-2018, 07:34 PM)davewill Wrote: What UCSB requires for their writing requirement is irrelevant. What matters is whether the course you took is equivalent to TESU's ENG 2.

You are absolutely right. Thanks.
Yeah, the UC's have a funky course-numbering system, which makes it difficult for other schools to figure out what's going on (I think they do it on purpose, frankly).

You need to appeal - you can do it via email, and show that it is basically English 101 & 102 at UCSB, and give the course descriptions from the catalog, and possibly the syllabi, depending on whether the course descriptions give enough info.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(02-11-2018, 02:15 PM)fingerscrossedx2 Wrote: UCSB requires the following to meet their General Education Writing Requirements:

General Education Composition Requirement (Area A)

English Reading and Composition
Objective: To help students develop a facility in English composition.

Two courses are required. Writing 2, 2E, or 2LK, and one of the following: Writing 50, 50E, 50LK, 105A-Z, 107A-Z, 109AA-ZZ, or English 10, 10EM, 10LC.
Students must complete Writing 2, 2E, or 2LK by the end of their sixth quarter at UCSB. Further registration will be blocked for students who do not comply. The following courses cannot be dropped after the fifth day of instruction: Writing 1, 1E, 1LK, 2, 2E, 2LK, 50, 50E, 50LK. In addition, students cannot enroll in and receive credit for these courses (or their equivalents taken at another institution) until they have fulfilled the Entry Level Writing Requirement.

I have completed Writing 2 and the additional upper level writing course, Writing 109. TESU does not accept the upper level writing for their English Comp II requirement. I am stumped by this. Is there an appeal process for course evaluations? I have a phone advising appointment scheduled for tomorrow morning and I am planning to plead my case. If I can complete this area of the GE's the only thing I will have outstanding is the Info Lit and Capstone courses. I am planning to registering for the Capstone for March (late of course). 

For sure appeal. While it doesn't mean TESU will change, the general "we want 6 credits of writing and composition" is a nearly universal requirement by any accredited 4 year college. I don't know why TESU didn't award credit at first glance, but nothing about your courses looks unusual in terms of level- only in terms of course number/name. Sometimes courses in the language arts area are developmental, and would be *under* a 100 level- and sometimes they have funky names like 050, so it was possibly just an incorrect assumption on TESU's part. Without question, I would appeal. TESU is usually very predictable about accepting transfer credit, (RA, 100+ level, gen ed) and should accept this eventually.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Capstone Writing: Tips & Tricks rachel83az 11 25,779 01-25-2024, 11:46 PM
Last Post: nykorn
  TESU---Easy Courses and TECEPS midnite123 5 544 01-04-2024, 08:22 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  TESU-----Transcripts??? midnite123 6 393 12-21-2023, 05:19 AM
Last Post: midnite123
  TESU---AA ??? midnite123 15 1,003 11-16-2023, 09:17 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  outlier College Writing II liangju1@asu.edu 4 546 11-10-2023, 12:39 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Research sources for writing assignments? GizmoJack 23 91,137 05-29-2023, 10:05 PM
Last Post: ashkir
  Where can I find a cheap college-level writing/composition course ftlclam 4 783 02-27-2023, 11:28 PM
Last Post: ftlclam
  Sophia.org and TESU midnite123 5 1,025 02-20-2023, 04:52 PM
Last Post: jsh1138
  Completed BA at TESU, any free ways to earn another degree? Lightorb333 13 1,902 12-30-2022, 05:24 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  TESU Questions midnite123 18 1,264 12-12-2022, 02:52 AM
Last Post: midnite123