Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
UCCS: Teaching To Kill a Mockingbird: Starts March 8
The University of Colorado, Colorado Springs and the organization Facing History and Ourselves offers a course that starts this week called "A New Approach to Teaching To Kill a Mockingbird".  It is worth three graduate credits with a SOC prefix from UCCS and costs $486.  I think that is the total cost, but I will keep this thread updated.  The appeal of this course for me is that I think I could play it as a graduate English credit to pair with the upcoming Harvard poetry classes.  It also counts towards the graduate certificate in diversity at UCCS, so maybe a twofor.  The class starts on March 8.

https://www.facinghistory.org/calendar/o...ockingbird
https://www.uccs.edu/lases/diversity/cou...ne-courses
https://www.uccs.edu/lases/full_program_.../diversity
[-] The following 1 user Likes eriehiker's post:
  • Ideas
Whatever a school counts something as with a prefix doesn't necessarily mean that's what it's going to come in as at your school. Schools get to do what they want with transfer credit, and sometimes it makes no sense (although many times it does).

I would always say that you should get anything you want to transfer in pre-approved.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • Ideas
I am just looking to reach 18 credits in the subject area.
(02-24-2018, 07:55 PM)dfrecore Wrote: Whatever a school counts something as with a prefix doesn't necessarily mean that's what it's going to come in as at your school. Schools get to do what they want with transfer credit, and sometimes it makes no sense (although many times it does).

I would always say that you should get anything you want to transfer in pre-approved.

I'm not normally political, but that book is already extremely controversial, and it's a "new approach" taught from a sociology standpoint? I can only imagine.....

EDIT to ask- where did you see that it has a SOC prefix? Maybe I'm sleepy, but I can't find it?
https://www.uccs.edu/lases/diversity/cou...ne-courses

SOC-5010-772

I wouldn't let a little politics get in the way of getting the credits. To Kill a Mockingbird is one of the great American novels. Learning from people of a different viewpoint is a good thing.
(02-24-2018, 08:51 PM)eriehiker Wrote: I am just looking to reach 18 credits in the subject area.

Well, if they are teaching it as a SOC course, and TESU brings it in as a SOC course, then you're out of luck for English.  Same with all of the courses people have been posting that are EDU courses.

But, you can always ask TESU.
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
I am not planning to send this to TESU. I am a HS/MS English/Social Science teacher. I've been teaching for 19 years, but I have a general master's degree - MAT. If I can pick up 18 English credits cheap, I can teach dual enrollment classes or pick up a college class. I've already been doing this with economics. I am up to 16 graduate credit hours. I just need two more. The Harvard classes would get me to 12 credit hours and I could probably convince somebody that a TKAM class was about English even with a SOC prefix. The diversity certificate would get me close with sociology.
[-] The following 1 user Likes eriehiker's post:
  • dfrecore
(02-24-2018, 10:31 PM)eriehiker Wrote: I am not planning to send this to TESU.  I am a HS/MS English/Social Science teacher.  I've been teaching for 19 years, but I have a general master's degree - MAT.  If I can pick up 18 English credits cheap, I can teach dual enrollment classes or pick up a college class.  I've already been doing this with economics.  I am up to 16 graduate credit hours.  I just need two more.  The Harvard classes would get me to 12 credit hours and I could probably convince somebody that a TKAM class was about English even with a SOC prefix.  The diversity certificate would get me close with sociology.

Ah, well in that case, for goodness sakes, take all the cheap grad level courses people throw on here!!
[-] The following 2 users Like dfrecore's post:
  • Cheeseburrito, cookderosa

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  National University - Teaching Credential ashkir 5 561 12-31-2023, 06:29 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Searching for info on online teaching certification for higher ed DIGI-212 3 1,997 12-22-2022, 03:30 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Bridge TEFL - International Diploma in English Language Teaching TESOL ($1,000) bjcheung77 25 4,556 11-14-2022, 12:37 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Walden Tempo Learning - CBE Price Increase March 2022 bjcheung77 1 1,131 12-26-2021, 11:11 PM
Last Post: GoodYellowDogs
  Masters for Teaching College Courses natshar 11 1,855 02-17-2021, 12:33 AM
Last Post: cacoleman1983
  Capella MEd Flexpath Teaching & Learning - $7200 and up bjcheung77 3 1,733 01-05-2021, 02:58 PM
Last Post: sofinel
  Is there any school that will accept many graduate transfer credits in teaching? Pelican 10 3,515 12-17-2020, 12:43 PM
Last Post: acamp
  Graduate Certificate for Teaching Adult Learners?? GoodYellowDogs 4 1,601 06-28-2020, 04:54 PM
Last Post: GoodYellowDogs
  Teaching in GA jcooke 1 788 06-25-2020, 08:08 AM
Last Post: HR_Mgr_Ed
  Affordable and Fast Masters wtih Teaching License jthatcher50 8 3,333 05-15-2020, 12:08 PM
Last Post: bluebooger