Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
UEXCEL and TECEP for RA credits at COSC
Hello! I just recently found out about the new 90 credit limit for non-regionally accredited credits that can be transferred to COSC. After transferring other RA credits I have previously earned I will need to take another four courses outside of ACE, and I read elsewhere that UEXCEL and TECEP don't count towards this limit. I have found there are UEXCEL testing centers in my city, and it sounds like TECEP tests are proctored online. Is this all correct? 

I have only just heard of UEXCEL and TECEP recently, so my question is can anyone recommend some good and or easy tests to take of these? I also just found out about ASU credit for $99 and will be taking English Comp 102 and Intro to Astronomy. I am going for a BS in liberal arts at COSC, and have listed completed courses in my signature. Thank you for your help! Big Grin
I'm studying at COSC and planning on graduating with a BS in Liberal Arts. So far I have completed:

Sophia: Accounting, Ancient Greek Philosophers, Approaches to Studying Religions, Art History I, Art History II, College Algebra, Conflict Resolution, English Composition I, Environmental Science, Human Biology, Introduction to Business, Introduction to Ethics, Introduction to Sociology, Introduction to Statistics, Macroeconomics, Microeconomics, Project Management, Public Speaking, US History II, and Visual Communications. 

ASU Earned Admission: AST 111 Introduction to Solar Systems Astronomy, COM 100 Introduction to Human Communication, ENG 102 English Composition: Research and Writing, and CIS 105 Computer Applications and Information Technology.

Study.com: BUS 302, BUS 312, BUS 313, BUS 318, BUS 323, PSY 306, PSY 310, PSY 312, PSY 316.

COSC: IDS 101 Cornerstone

Other RA credits transferred: HIS122, PSY101, FLN125, PHL220, ITE213

Up Next: ISB-498 & ISB-499 at COSC
If you're at least okay with math, I'd also suggest precalculus. Human origins was pretty good though a bit brutal. There are a dozen or so species that you're introduced to over the course and you're expected to know which one is which. I did okay somehow, thankfully, but it's not going to be for everyone.

I haven't taken human communication but that one looks like a possible good choice for someone seeking a BALS degree.

Suggestion: sign up for everything and drop the ones that you don't think will work once you've seen the syllabus/first week's assignments. It's not like it costs anything to do so.
(08-09-2020, 06:05 AM)rachel83az Wrote: If you're at least okay with math, I'd also suggest precalculus. Human origins was pretty good though a bit brutal. There are a dozen or so species that you're introduced to over the course and you're expected to know which one is which. I did okay somehow, thankfully, but it's not going to be for everyone.

I haven't taken human communication but that one looks like a possible good choice for someone seeking a BALS degree.

Suggestion: sign up for everything and drop the ones that you don't think will work once you've seen the syllabus/first week's assignments. It's not like it costs anything to do so.

This is a great suggestion for ASU, thank you! I think I will take up precalculus since I didn't find college algebra on Sophia to be too bad. I was thinking human communication looks like a good one to take too, and I'm looking into Computer Applications and Information Technology, Technological, Social, and Sustainable Systems, or Health & Wellness as well. I might pass on human origins since I've heard from others it's difficult, and also since I will be taking my cornerstone at COSC in a few weeks too. Thanks for your advice! Big Grin

*Edit: Also, I just looked up their syllabus online (not through their official website) and saw that for calculus a graphing calculator is required. Is this true, or do they have software to emulate it instead? Thanks! Big Grin
I'm studying at COSC and planning on graduating with a BS in Liberal Arts. So far I have completed:

Sophia: Accounting, Ancient Greek Philosophers, Approaches to Studying Religions, Art History I, Art History II, College Algebra, Conflict Resolution, English Composition I, Environmental Science, Human Biology, Introduction to Business, Introduction to Ethics, Introduction to Sociology, Introduction to Statistics, Macroeconomics, Microeconomics, Project Management, Public Speaking, US History II, and Visual Communications. 

ASU Earned Admission: AST 111 Introduction to Solar Systems Astronomy, COM 100 Introduction to Human Communication, ENG 102 English Composition: Research and Writing, and CIS 105 Computer Applications and Information Technology.

Study.com: BUS 302, BUS 312, BUS 313, BUS 318, BUS 323, PSY 306, PSY 310, PSY 312, PSY 316.

(08-09-2020, 07:20 AM)daharamu Wrote: This is a great suggestion for ASU, thank you! I think I will take up precalculus since I didn't find college algebra on Sophia to be too bad. I was thinking human communication looks like a good one to take too, and I'm looking into Computer Applications and Information Technology, Technological, Social, and Sustainable Systems, or Health & Wellness as well. I might pass on human origins since I've heard from others it's difficult, and also since I will be taking my cornerstone at COSC in a few weeks too. Thanks for your advice! Big Grin

*Edit: Also, I just looked up their syllabus online (not through their official website) and saw that for calculus a graphing calculator is required. Is this true, or do they have software to emulate it instead? Thanks! Big Grin

I would strongly suggest at least an inexpensive scientific calculator for precalculus and beyond. I find it so much easier than a calculator on the computer. That said, for precalculus, they tell you:

Quote:If you do not have a scientific or graphing calculator for the Final Exam, you may use these online calculators:
http://dlippman.imathas.com/graphcalc/graphcalc.html

https://calculatorpi.com/

For calculus, they say:

Quote:If you do not have a scientific or graphing calculator for the Final Exam, you may use these online calculators:
Graphing Calculator, Option 1 (http://dlippman.imathas.com/graphcalc/graphcalc.html)
Graphing Calculator, Option 2 (https://www.desmos.com/calculator)

I have the Desmos app on my phone and I like it very much.
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • daharamu
(08-09-2020, 09:26 AM)rachel83az Wrote:
(08-09-2020, 07:20 AM)daharamu Wrote: This is a great suggestion for ASU, thank you! I think I will take up precalculus since I didn't find college algebra on Sophia to be too bad. I was thinking human communication looks like a good one to take too, and I'm looking into Computer Applications and Information Technology, Technological, Social, and Sustainable Systems, or Health & Wellness as well. I might pass on human origins since I've heard from others it's difficult, and also since I will be taking my cornerstone at COSC in a few weeks too. Thanks for your advice! Big Grin

I would strongly suggest at least an inexpensive scientific calculator for precalculus and beyond. I find it so much easier than a calculator on the computer. That said, for precalculus, they tell you:

http://dlippman.imathas.com/graphcalc/graphcalc.html

https://calculatorpi.com/

For calculus, they say:

Graphing Calculator, Option 1 (http://dlippman.imathas.com/graphcalc/graphcalc.html)
Graphing Calculator, Option 2 (https://www.desmos.com/calculator)

I have the Desmos app on my phone and I like it very much.

Oh wow, that's awesome they let you use those online calculators! I might just go with those since I wouldn't plan to take any more math classes beyond this one. Thanks! Big Grin

If you are international student (non-US resiedent or citizen) TECEP will request you english proficiency test in order to take the exam.

As you mention before, if you are looking for RA courses, it is a good moment to go for ASU courses.
BSBA: 70% completed (84 credits of 120)
(08-09-2020, 03:41 PM)cecilgambe7 Wrote: If you are international student (non-US resiedent or citizen) TECEP will request you english proficiency test in order to take the exam.

As you mention before, if you are looking for RA courses, it is a good moment to go for ASU courses.

Ok great, I will sign up for as many ASU courses as I think I can handle. I'm a US resident but I'm studying, working, and living abroad at the moment, so I guess I'm good on the English test. Thanks for the info! Big Grin
(08-09-2020, 06:05 AM)rachel83az Wrote: Suggestion: sign up for everything and drop the ones that you don't think will work once you've seen the syllabus/first week's assignments. It's not like it costs anything to do so.

[Image: 1l8thn.jpg]
BS, Information Systems concentration, Charter Oak State College
MA in Educational Technology Leadership, George Washington University
18 doctoral level semester-hours in Business Administration, Baker College
In progress: EdD in Educational Leadership, Manhattanville College

More at https://stevefoerster.com

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Excelsior is retiring UExcel exams! This month! dfrecore 24 6,061 03-17-2024, 09:37 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Technical Writing TECEP - My Experience PreLawCoastie 2 710 03-14-2024, 04:31 PM
Last Post: PreLawCoastie
  Public Speaking TECEP PreLawCoastie 0 218 02-27-2024, 07:23 AM
Last Post: PreLawCoastie
  TECEP FIN-3210 Security Analysis & Portfolio Management fmsoa 2 485 01-18-2024, 04:42 PM
Last Post: CFPhopeful
  Need 300/400 level credits? tomheany 4 779 01-16-2024, 10:01 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  TECEP Admissions/Rate my sanity PreLawCoastie 10 1,001 01-11-2024, 06:05 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Abnormal Psychology TECEP is now available on InstantCert! sgloer 0 299 01-04-2024, 12:27 PM
Last Post: sgloer
  Managerial Comm TECEP saraholson 7 1,691 12-15-2023, 01:23 PM
Last Post: Dosada
  TECEP Federal Income Taxation Kones 9 906 12-13-2023, 09:23 PM
Last Post: Kones
  Help - how to register for TECEP exam? Carnation 4 367 11-23-2023, 10:10 AM
Last Post: Carnation