Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
UExcel Statistics Question
Been searching for UExcel Statistics exam specific feedback. I have two exam left for my general education and I'm starting full time in the Excelsior BSN program in January. I've been using Study.com and blowing out an exam a week for the last couple months with acceptable results. I've hit Statistics now and I'm a little concerned. I give myself 2 weeks for this one but I'd like some feed back on the exam itself. Has anyone taken it? What were your thoughts? Some of the exams seem to run fast and loose with the grading so I'm wondering how difficult it is to get a C grade. I went into the Weather and Climate exam poorly prepared and only truly knew about 10% of the material on the test. of the 5 areas they grade, I got 70% in one of them, 64% in another and 50% and BELOW in the other 3 areas and still passed with a C grade. Hoping it's the same thing for Statistics but don't have a clue what to expect.

I've built out my signature to show what I've done incase I can offer any advice to others that need it.

Thanks
Well I got my own questions answered yesterday when I took the UExcel Statistics Exam. This was likely the hardest exam I've taken and the hardest one to study for. I ended up taking the last week of study off work completely and just stayed home to study 10-12 hours a day. We have a mathematician at work who does heavy work with statistics and she was my go-to assistance for issues I needed someone to explain in different ways. I used the Study.com course for the UExcel Statistics Exam for the rest, but then realized they had their course built wrong as it left out the last two areas of concentration that were listed on the exam outline available from Excelsior. After realizing this I swapped to their Statistics 101 Course, which actually included all of the right areas. I used the Study.com final exams from the Uexcel Statistics, Statistics 101 as well as the DSST Statistics courses for additional practice. I also used both of the Excelsior College practice exams for Statistics that were available for $18 each. The practice exams were actually more difficult than the real exam and had at least one error built into the answers so you couldn't actually pick the right answer, which was annoying till I figured out their issue.

Calculating out my percentage based on how they weighted each area, my overall score was 70.5% if I calculated it all correctly. I have no idea where the grade cut-offs are. I got 100% in several sections where my resource at work helped me but I bombed the last two sections where I didn't put in much effort to study the formulas because I felt they were overly head.

I have been out of high school for 23 years. I have NEVER taken a college math class before, which was a huge handicap. I did test out of Algebra about 22 years ago and had a good knowledge of it at that time, so some stuff came back as I worked through this program. My total time of study for Statistics was 16 days. This was a full time venture for the last week and likely was 120-160 hours total study time to get that C Grade.

I also did some research into the DSST Statistics Exam, counting on that as a fallback incase I failed the UExcel Exam. The DSST version seems to have a more narrow scope of information and also doesn't go as deep into the subjects as the UExcel Exam, so that may have been a better option for me and others with limited math experience. Also, the UExcel Exam no longer provides a formula reference sheet like it's outline says it does. They seem to have reworked the questions so they don't really require a precise measurement of information from tables and such. You will have to know the formulas or at least a workaround for each type of problem you'll run into. I needed to be taught workarounds without using most of the actual formulas because I had difficulty following the path through the formulas. That's where my contact at work came in handy.

Hope this helps someone... Please ask if you have questions.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  RBA degree question Jennr2z 19 3,168 12-14-2023, 04:50 PM
Last Post: staceydiane
  Question about BYU Independent Study Amberlinjeanne 4 1,338 09-05-2023, 06:47 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  EdX MicroBachelors letter grade question cardiacclep 3 615 12-28-2022, 08:17 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Statistics RA credit available anywhere? echo64 7 805 12-11-2022, 02:46 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Transferology question - how to find ACE and NCCRS? katsiki 4 550 10-09-2022, 01:37 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Question about Transferring Credits Nelson Lin 3 734 09-17-2022, 02:17 PM
Last Post: Alpha
  Question about the 1 credit RA self-paced class from ASU sparkling 2 1,201 08-24-2022, 03:41 PM
Last Post: sparkling
  Online Learning Statistics Alpha 0 520 07-14-2022, 08:11 PM
Last Post: Alpha
  ACTFL signup question(s) Insert Name 9 978 06-29-2022, 09:39 PM
Last Post: Insert Name
  ACTFL question Jennr2z 5 826 06-04-2022, 06:51 PM
Last Post: Jennr2z