Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
UL Credits in History for TESC
I'm interested in earning a BA in History from TESC. I'm trying to find test options for upper level credits in history, and through different equivalency tests and others' degree plans, I'm having trouble finding where to get those credits.

I see the following DSST tests are upper level:

Rise and Fall of the Soviet Union
A History of the Vietnam War
An Introduction to the Modern Middle East

What other test options are available?
BA in Liberal Studies (TESC) in progress
24/120 Completed
UExcel ECEP, formerly ECE, World Conflicts Since 1900 comes from Excelsior with a UL recommendation and a History course number. Paging Westerner, or any other TESC person who's taken it, as to how TESC counted this.

Not a test but the TESC course War and American Society is 6 semester hours, and seems to be popular with TESC history majors.
From what I have seen you are pretty much going to have to take one more upper level class other than the Liberal Arts Capstone. I opted to do the War and American Society. The other course that TESC itself offers I think is called Leaders in History. It is listed under leadership, but qualifies as upper level history.

Also note that TESC does not count upper level and lower level DSSTs the same as is recommended.

Area of Study (18SH must be at the 300/400 level)
Semester Hours Completed: 33.00

GPA Achieved/Needed: none / 2.000
Complete all 5 subrequirements:
A: Western or World Civ (Completed)
> Complete one full year of Survey of Western Civilization
> OR one full year of World History.
Semester Hours Completed: 6.00
Group 1 (Completed)
Src Course # Title S.H. Grd TESC # Notes
1.. HIS-101... Western Civilization I... 3.00 CR HIS-101 *NE
1.. HIS-102... Western Civilization II.. 3.00 CR HIS-102 *NE

B: American History (Completed)
> Complete one full year of American History.
Group 1 (Completed)
1.. HIS-113... American History I....... 3.00 CR HIS-113 *NE
1.. HIS-114... American History II...... 3.00 CR HIS-114 *NE

C: Non-Western History (Completed)
> Complete one Non-Western/Non-U.S. History course (e.g.,
> Africa; Asia; Latin America; Middle East).
1.. HIS-386... Rise and Fall of Soviet U 3.00 CR HIS-386 *NE

D: History Electives (Pending)
> Complete 15 Semester Hours (SH) of History Department
> courses as electives.
> **At least 18 of the 33 credits required within the entire
> Area of Study must be at the 300/400 level.**
Semester Hours Completed: 15.00
Group 1 (Pending)
Semester Hours Completed: 12.00
1.. HIS-351... A History of Vietnam War. 3.00 CR HIS-351 *NE
1.. HIS-356... War and American Society. (6.00) ___ *IP
1.. HIS-309 Intro. to the Mod. Middle (3.00) --- HIS-309 *PL *TE
Group 2 (Completed)
1.. HIS-222... Contemp. W. Eurp.: 1946-1 3.00 CR HIS-222 *NE

E: Liberl Arts Capstone (Pending)
> Complete course LIB-495 Liberal Arts Capstone.
1.. LIB-495... Liberal Arts Capstone.... (3.00) ___ *RA *IP
================================================================================

Not listed:
Civil War and Reconstruction DSST is counted as HIS-252
World Conflict Since 1900 is HIS-399
Goal - BA in History at Thomas Edison State College

Taking War and American Society and Liberal Arts Capstone at in August semester.

Information Systems and Computer Applications - 66
English Composition with Essay - 56
Freshman College Composition - 68
Analizing and Interpreting Literature - 67
Civil War and Reconstruction DSST
Vietnam War DSST
Intro to World Religions DSST - 470
Rise and Fall of the Soviet Union DSST
Western Europe since 1954 CLEP
Sociology DSST
Social Sciences and History CLEP
Sociology CLEP
et. al.
Here's my degree plan for a TESC BA in History. Note this is a degree plan from before the requirements were changed in July, but I believe it was only the Gen Ed reqs that were changed so the area of study part should be good (I hope—someone please correct me if I'm wrong)! One thing you could do different is take the TESC course "War and American Society" instead of doing the "World Conflicts" ECE and the TESC course "Leaders in History." But I'd highly recommend "Leaders in History" with Professor Redden—great discussions, pretty easy class and great mentor Cool And the ECE wasn't too hard and I enjoyed studying for it—learned a lot Big Grin
BA History 2014 - TESC

The Lord is my shepherd. Psalm 23

"I'm going on an adventure!' ~AUJ
"It is our fight." ~DoS
"I am not alone." ~BotFA
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that's given to us." ~FotR
"There is still hope." ~TTT
"Courage..." "This day, we fight!" ~RotK

CLEP: A&I Lit 74 ~ Am Lit 73 ~ Eng Lit 72 ~ Humanities 75 ~ College Math 77 ~ Western Civ I 63 ~ Western Civ II 69 ~ Natural Sci 64 ~ US History I 76 ~ US History II 69 ~ Sociology 68 ~ Am Gov 69 ~ Social Sci & Hist 71 ~ College Comp 61 ~ Marketing 70 ~ Management 66 ~ Psychology 67

DSST: Supervision 453 ~ Tech Writing 61 ~ Computing 427 ~ Middle East 65 ~ Soviet Union 65 ~ Vietnam War 74 ~[COLOR="#0099cc"] Civil War 68

[/COLOR]Other: College+ Biblical Social Justice B ~ ECE World Conflicts Since 1900 A

TESC courses: Capstone A ~ Leaders in History A ~ Photography 101 A- ~ Games People Play A ~ International Relations A- ~ Mass Communications I A

$5 off IC - 59690
My hair jewelry business
Jonathan Whatley Wrote:UExcel ECEP, formerly ECE, World Conflicts Since 1900 comes from Excelsior with a UL recommendation and a History course number. Paging Westerner, or any other TESC person who's taken it, as to how TESC counted this.
It's under my History electives and it's UL Smile Its EC code is HISX340 but TESC has next to it "HIS-399."
BA History 2014 - TESC

"It is our fight." ~DoS
"I am not alone." ~BotFA

CLEP: A&I Lit 74 ~ Am Lit 73 ~ Eng Lit 72 ~ Humanities 75 ~ College Math 77 ~ Western Civ I 63 ~ Western Civ II 69 ~ Natural Sci 64 ~ US History I 76 ~ US History II 69 ~ Sociology 68 ~ Am Gov 69 ~ Social Sci & Hist 71 ~ College Comp 61 ~ Marketing 70 ~ Management 66 ~ Psychology 67

DSST: Supervision 453 ~ Tech Writing 61 ~ Computing 427 ~ Middle East 65 ~ Soviet Union 65 ~ Vietnam War 74 ~[COLOR="#0099cc"] Civil War 68

[/COLOR]Other: College+ Biblical Social Justice B ~ ECE World Conflicts Since 1900 A

TESC courses: Capstone A ~ Leaders in History A ~ Photography 101 A- ~ Games People Play A ~ International Relations A- ~ Mass Communications I A

$5 off IC - 59690
My hair jewelry business
Westerner Wrote:One thing you could do different is take the TESC course "War and American Society" instead of doing the "World Conflicts" ECE and the TESC course "Leaders in History." But I'd highly recommend "Leaders in History" with Professor Redden—great discussions, pretty easy class and great mentor Cool And the ECE wasn't too hard and I enjoyed studying for it—learned a lot Big Grin

I usually don't disagree with Westerner Smile, but I bailed on the World Conflicts ECE and took War and American Society instead. Best. Class. Ever. If writing is not a problem for you, it's a very stress-free class. 4 papers (I was worried about these, but met the word # requirements easily), reading (I found all required books at the library), and a midterm and final. Tests are 15-20 true/false, 10 or so fill in the blank or one-word answer. (ex: what general was in charge of forces in WWII), and a few "essay" questions, which most times related to issues already discussed in forums or addressed in papers. I don't want to say it was easy, but I took the course while I was living in Paris, with no problems. Still did plenty of sightseeing, wine drinking. Smile
Lyanne

DSST (27)
Personal Finance - 448 Astronomy - 61 Civil War and Reconstruction - 68 History of Vietnam War - 68 Substance Abuse - 59 World Religions - 473 Rise and Fall of the Soviet Union - 55 Environment and Humanity: Race to Save the Planet -61 Intro to Modern Middle East - 58
CLEP (48)
American Literature-73 American Government-62 U.S. History I - 64 U.S. History II -73 A&I Literature - 75 Western Civ I - 58 Western Civ II - 61 English Literature - 67 Humanities -76 Intro Sociology - 62 Social Sciences & History - 69
Other (43)
English Composition, Literature & Composition, Art Appreciation, General Psychology, Intro to Anthropology, Abnormal Psychology, Travel Agency Operations, Advanced Hospitality (7 credits), Intro Computer Software, Digital Photography, War and American Society, TESC Capstone
ALEKS (3)
Intermediate Algebra

**Not official, but BA History at Thomas Edison State College!!!!!!*
Lyanne Wrote:I usually don't disagree with Westerner Smile, but I bailed on the World Conflicts ECE and took War and American Society instead. Best. Class. Ever. If writing is not a problem for you, it's a very stress-free class. 4 papers (I was worried about these, but met the word # requirements easily), reading (I found all required books at the library), and a midterm and final. Tests are 15-20 true/false, 10 or so fill in the blank or one-word answer. (ex: what general was in charge of forces in WWII), and a few "essay" questions, which most times related to issues already discussed in forums or addressed in papers. I don't want to say it was easy, but I took the course while I was living in Paris, with no problems. Still did plenty of sightseeing, wine drinking. Smile
Sounds like a great, easy course!! Only reason I didn't take it was because I'd already studied a lot about American history (especially the wars) so I wanted to "broaden my scope" with more world/international studies Smile But War & American Society would be the perfect fast course to replace those Cool
BA History 2014 - TESC

"It is our fight." ~DoS
"I am not alone." ~BotFA

$5 off IC - 59690
My hair jewelry business

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help with figuring out TESU History Degree plan AJay5595 10 3,275 09-06-2018, 10:56 AM
Last Post: BAngieB
  TESU transcript audit says 13 required credits through TESU? Rteurowise 8 2,085 09-05-2018, 01:43 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TESU "Overflow" Credits mysonx3 5 2,220 08-31-2018, 01:24 AM
Last Post: Merlin
  Charter Oak (COSC) maximum credits from one source nosey561 1 1,672 08-30-2018, 10:39 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Study.com College Credits UnbreakablyDetermined 2 1,814 08-27-2018, 05:44 PM
Last Post: allvia
  TESU BA in History Plan - Critiques? mysonx3 4 2,118 08-21-2018, 08:54 AM
  Credits Giantzebra 5 1,576 07-23-2018, 12:50 AM
  Second Bachelor BALS with concentration with the 24 new credits rule posabsolute 1 1,357 07-22-2018, 11:30 PM
  First Post - TESC Academic Evaluation Questions npk32 34 5,583 07-18-2018, 01:03 PM
Last Post: npk32
  EC now accepting FEMA credits Exfactor 6 2,761 06-29-2018, 10:32 AM
Last Post: sanantone