Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TEEX courses WAAAY longer than expected.....
Did anyone else take WAAAAY longer than expected on the TEEX courses?  I knew they were going to be long.  This is clearly stated in the forum.  But, when reading the course descriptions, its shows how many "hours" it will take to complete the course (granted everyone is different).  I know nothing about these courses prior to going in, so I know this contributes to my extra time, but SHEESH, I am almost double the recommended time on these.  

Any pointers on how to get through them quicker?  Not sure if I'm missing a strategy here as others seem to get through these faster!
Completed:
The Institues-Insurance Ethics (2cr)                          
Sophia.orgDeveloping Effective Teams (1cr), The Essentials of Managing Conflict (1cr)
CSMLearn- CSMLearn Course (3cr)
TEEX- Cybersecurity 101, 201, 301 (11cr)
(07-23-2019, 03:16 PM)Idreamofadegree Wrote: Did anyone else take WAAAAY longer than expected on the TEEX courses?  I knew they were going to be long.  This is clearly stated in the forum.  But, when reading the course descriptions, its shows how many "hours" it will take to complete the course (granted everyone is different).  I know nothing about these courses prior to going in, so I know this contributes to my extra time, but SHEESH, I am almost double the recommended time on these.  

Any pointers on how to get through them quicker?  Not sure if I'm missing a strategy here as others seem to get through these faster!

They're overly long, particularly given the low levels of credit that they used to offer. Now that they've been bumped up a bit, they are a bit more worthwhile.

Everyone learns at their own speed, and a lot of that depends on prior knowledge and natural aptitude for the subject. I have a background in computers, networking, and security so it went a bit faster for me, but for someone without that prior knowledge, it could take much longer. But don't expect to get through them in a day or two unless you already have some related experience. I think a week per course is probably a reasonable target though.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
[-] The following 1 user Likes Merlin's post:
  • Idreamofadegree
I also find it little frustrated to complete each course even I know some of the materials.
NEXT: Considering DBA, DIT or PhD
In Progress: MSU MBA

Completed: WGU MS-CIA & Ms University Isabel I, ENEB
TEEX: Cybersecurity 101 (4), Cybersecurity 201 (3), Cybersecurity 301 (3)
Sophia: Accounting (3), Project Management (3) Principles of Finance (3) 
Coursera: Google IT Certification, and Google Project Management.

[-] The following 1 user Likes Imbanewbie's post:
  • Idreamofadegree
I wish they had paid versions for the cyber courses, I'd happily pay it!
BALS (Social Sciences) + ASNSM in CS - Sept 2022 TESU graduate
[-] The following 1 user Likes CarpeDiem8's post:
  • Idreamofadegree
The pre-tests were the worst part, as they are absolutely pointless when you are about to go into the module and study the material. Without the ability to pass on to the next module for doing a good job on the pre-test, they are just obnoxious and a waste of time.
TESU September 2020 Graduate
Bachelor of Arts  in Liberal Studies with a concentration in Social Sciences

Sophia (3); Institutes (3); TEEX (21); CSM (3); CLEP (12); SL (45); InstantCert (6)Study (21) TESU (6)
[-] The following 1 user Likes BrighterFuture88's post:
  • cookderosa
(07-23-2019, 06:23 PM)BrighterFuture88 Wrote: The pre-tests were the worst part, as they are absolutely pointless when you are about to go into the module and study the material. Without the ability to pass on to the next module for doing a good job on the pre-test, they are just obnoxious and a waste of time.

I think I remember we learned this somewhere along the way too - make sure you're just doing the required work and not the extra!
(07-23-2019, 06:23 PM)BrighterFuture88 Wrote: The pre-tests were the worst part, as they are absolutely pointless when you are about to go into the module and study the material.  Without the ability to pass on to the next module for doing a good job on the pre-test, they are just obnoxious and a waste of time.

Pretests are not required. For ones I took, anyway (criminal justice recently, one cybersecurity recently, and the other cybersecurity like 2 years ago).

[quote pid='293324' dateline='1563915198']

They're overly long, particularly given the low levels of credit that they used to offer. Now that they've been bumped up a bit, they are a bit more worthwhile.

Everyone learns at their own speed, and a lot of that depends on prior knowledge and natural aptitude for the subject. I have a background in computers, networking, and security so it went a bit faster for me, but for someone without that prior knowledge, it could take much longer. But don't expect to get through them in a day or two unless you already have some related experience. I think a week per course is probably a reasonable target though.
[/quote]

This makes me feel better if you mean a week per course (like 173, 178, etc..) as that is about how long it is taking me to get through them.  If, by course, you mean Cybersecurity 101, 201, 301 as a whole....then, I'm screwed!  Tongue

I am glad, tho, that they are worth more now than they use to be and can be applied to a degree as electives!  Silver lining, right?

(07-23-2019, 06:23 PM)BrighterFuture88 Wrote: The pre-tests were the worst part, as they are absolutely pointless when you are about to go into the module and study the material.  Without the ability to pass on to the next module for doing a good job on the pre-test, they are just obnoxious and a waste of time.

I agree with this completely!  Although, I understand their intentions with the pre-test (for their benefit), it would be nice if you could move on to the next module if you can pass the pre-test.
Completed:
The Institues-Insurance Ethics (2cr)                          
Sophia.orgDeveloping Effective Teams (1cr), The Essentials of Managing Conflict (1cr)
CSMLearn- CSMLearn Course (3cr)
TEEX- Cybersecurity 101, 201, 301 (11cr)
If I remember correctly, I copy/pasted the test results into a Google doc. and then referenced this when I retook the tests. This meant that the second attempt was always at least as good as the last and it eliminated one possible answer from consideration.
[-] The following 2 users Like eriehiker's post:
  • hsfamfun, Idreamofadegree

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is there a list of which Sophia courses have touchstones? MaMichelle 9 7,400 04-17-2024, 06:22 AM
Last Post: mdn
  New Sophia Courses: Health, Fitness, and Wellness and Anatomy & Physiology II Lab LevelUP 16 964 04-08-2024, 11:51 AM
Last Post: Kab
  TEEX Cyber Security Courses / non US residents BritStudent 8 704 04-08-2024, 11:32 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  The official guide to courses by Straighterline, Study, et al: We want YOUR input! aviator guy 378 469,032 03-18-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: RachelB
Information New Sophia Courses: College Math and Chemistry MNomadic 67 10,882 03-07-2024, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Westslope Cutthroat
  Credly Badge Denied, TEEX Disaster Management for Water & Wastewater Utilities sixdegreesandamovie 3 311 03-07-2024, 11:46 AM
  Study.Com Upcoming changes to courses Vin 4 1,038 02-13-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
Thumbs Up Sophia Review: Finished 6 Courses in 1 Week Ares 11 2,072 02-11-2024, 04:54 PM
Last Post: Ares
  Equivalents for Old SNHU Gen Ed Courses Spalmer 6 593 02-11-2024, 11:25 AM
Last Post: Spalmer
  SeeMore courses other than CSM (or: has anyone transferred a non-ACE/NCCRS course?) vaticidalprophet 5 334 01-24-2024, 01:58 PM