Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Modern States Time
How long does it take to complete a modern states course? How many hours of work will it take to complete? I'm specifically asking about the American Government. But I would appreciate time for any modern states courses.

I signed up for the American Government clep at a community college on Tuesday morning. I haven't purchase the ticket yet. I don't need to do so until late Monday night or early Tuesday morning. It is currently Saturday afternoon. Is it possible to complete the modern states course in time?
If I'm actively watching the videos, I can usually wrap one up in a weekend.
Up next:  WGU MSCSIA - Early 2023
Dropped:  WGU MSITM - Wasn't my cup of tea
Completed:  WGU BSCSIA (started 10/1/2018, finished 01/11/2019), Pierpont BOG AAS (5/2018)
Journey Thread (MSITM): https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...TM-Journey
Journey Thread (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...ersecurity
Degree Spreadsheet (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/attachm...p?aid=2602

You don't actually have to watch the videos, just answer the questions, although I found the course for this one particularly helpful for studying. I watched all the videos double speed and got through in like 4-5 hours I think?

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link
I've found that reading the transcripts to be more helpful as you can scan over all the verbal flubs or random personal stories the teachers say. This makes it go much quicker if you're a visual learner.
Also, for American Government I found it EXTREMELY helpful to read a study guide in addition to taking the course. The course did not adequately prepare me for the test. I took mine out from the library but there are plenty of cheap and used options on Amazon.
Working towards BALS at TESU

Transfer:
 41 credits 

Currently working on: 
Language and Literacy in Education (OnlineDegree)

Completed:
Study.com: Personal Finance 102, History 108, Psychology 106, Psychology 104, Communications 120, Religion 101

Free: Cyber Security for Everyone, Cyber Security for Professionals

CLEP (free through Modern States): American Government, A+I Lit, American Lit, History of the US 1
Has anyone tried the CLEP in Psychology? How long did the course take? Is reading the textbooks recommended for the psych CLEP (or for any modernstates course in general)? I'm asking because i'm looking a look at the length of the videos & many are only a few minutes long.. are most modernstates course videos the same? Will watching just the videos really prepare me for a clep?
BABA, New England College, 2019
(09-18-2019, 02:08 AM)harrypotter Wrote: Has anyone tried the CLEP in Psychology? How long did the course take? Is reading the textbooks recommended for the psych CLEP (or for any modernstates course in general)?  I'm asking because i'm looking a look at the length of the videos & many are only a few minutes long.. are most modernstates course videos the same? Will watching just the videos really prepare me for a clep?

I took that CLEP.  Never took a psychology course in my life.  Didn't study at all.  Just decided to go take it one day and passed.  Pretty common sense material really.
If you wanted to study I'd say try instantcert.
TESU March 2020 Graduation
--ASNSM Mathematics
--BSBA Accounting 
--BA Computer Science

University of Alaska Fairbanks (December 2021 Graduation Goal)
--MBA (2/10 : 4.0)

I started this journey in the summer of 2016.  I hoped to be done sooner, but I am still proud of the rate at which I have gotten my schooling done with respect to the many months of military training and deployments I have undergone.  

[-] The following 1 user Likes Zachcleigh's post:
  • harrypotter
I couldn't stand the instructor for MS's Psych course. I watched Crash Course Psych instead.
Up next:  WGU MSCSIA - Early 2023
Dropped:  WGU MSITM - Wasn't my cup of tea
Completed:  WGU BSCSIA (started 10/1/2018, finished 01/11/2019), Pierpont BOG AAS (5/2018)
Journey Thread (MSITM): https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...TM-Journey
Journey Thread (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...ersecurity
Degree Spreadsheet (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/attachm...p?aid=2602

(10-22-2018, 10:45 AM)Doodlebabe Wrote: I've found that reading the transcripts to be more helpful as you can scan over all the verbal flubs or random personal stories the teachers say. This makes it go much quicker if you're a visual learner.
Also, for American Government I found it EXTREMELY helpful to read a study guide in addition to taking the course. The course did not adequately prepare me for the test. I took mine out from the library but there are plenty of cheap and used options on Amazon.

Yes, my son did not pass with Modern States only! He also had done a Civics class all year, then MS and did not pass.
(09-18-2019, 02:08 AM)harrypotter Wrote: Will watching just the videos really prepare me for a clep?

In other threads, many said no. I would also say no.

I look financial accounting with no prior experience or knowledge, skipped all videos, brute forced the quizzes. Got 56/80 on the CLEP.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Study.com vs Sophia - Time to complete RachelB 2 684 01-05-2024, 01:20 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Study.com - Best Time/Cost Saving Strategy? kylan11 13 1,314 10-18-2023, 08:09 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Isn't it about time for new Study.com courses? jsh1138 43 7,353 05-31-2023, 11:20 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Study.com completion time? him22 6 1,370 09-15-2022, 11:18 AM
Last Post: lisarox
  Still time for ALEKS credit? MDW2447 14 3,020 09-10-2021, 03:55 AM
Last Post: echo64
  Sophia, only 2 courses active at one time cerich67 75 11,760 04-30-2021, 08:52 AM
Last Post: ctcarl
  Modern States announces additional funding, continued CLEP vouchers jsd 8 1,842 02-08-2021, 07:54 AM
Last Post: Alpha
  Study.com Grading Time utility 5 920 11-01-2020, 06:01 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Decision Time - Straighterline, CLEP, DSST, or Study.com dh5150 22 3,046 08-29-2020, 06:19 AM
Last Post: Lacedonia4
  Sophia Eng Comp I and II Completion Time mrskitty 4 1,265 08-09-2020, 01:44 PM
Last Post: TwinMom