Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
UL in applied science and technology disciplines
Hi, I'm looking for 12 to 18 upper level credits in what TESU will consider "applied science or technology disciplines". Will those be easy to come by? There's a wide range of topics, computer, electrical, etc. Any ideas? No preference on topics, but I would like to learn some programming (if that will apply), but I'm assuming I will need to take a LL programming before I could start an UL programming course. Am I correct in that any CIS UL course would work?
Thanks for the ideas!Confusedeeya:
We are all on the same side here, trying to better our lives....so let's get along and help each other out. 

Learn a trade. Gain technical skills. Make money, then use this money to get a degree...if you have the desire. 

icampy Wrote:Hi, I'm looking for 12 to 18 upper level credits in what TESU will consider "applied science or technology disciplines". Will those be easy to come by? There's a wide range of topics, computer, electrical, etc. Any ideas? No preference on topics, but I would like to learn some programming (if that will apply), but I'm assuming I will need to take a LL programming before I could start an UL programming course. Am I correct in that any CIS UL course would work?
Thanks for the ideas!Confusedeeya:

Is this for the BSAST in Tech Studies? If so, this is one of those "generic" type degrees that people get when they have a bunch of credits that don't quite apply to anything else. Maybe they have a lot of credits from military training, or a prior degree in progress that doesn't quite fit anything else.

No, any UL CIS course may not work. Your best bet is to enroll at TESU and then get courses pre-approved before taking them. They tend to be quite picky about what they will accept here, and you don't want to waste your time and money on something they won't take. My best guess is, they will probably take anything from the BACS degree, and most anything from the BSAST IT degree. CSU-Global has quite a few CBE's that may work, but one in particular will NOT work (they don't bring it in as CIS): Info Systems Design and Management. They've specifically disallowed it from the BSBA CIS degree, so I imagine they won't take it for anything else.

The only courses that I know for certain have TESU Equivalencies are:
Info Systems Analysis & Design (CIS-320)
Cloud Computing & Big Data (CIS-499)
Basic Programming (COS-208)

The rest they have there are all UL too, so if you get any pre-approved, let us know.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Gotcha. I applied to TESU yesterday. So hopefully can get some direction once that goes through. I have to take a social science, english comp 2, a tech writing and I will be done in gen eds from the looks of it.

It is, it's one of the ones I'm looking at. I have 48 credits in "Machine Tool Technology" MTT prefix. Figured it would be quicker since all I would need is 12 UL in any applied science and tech, and 2 more LL in any applied science and tech. Saves me a LOT of time. Plus I get to take some courses I'm interested in, instead of chugging away at specific ones I need. I would like to do another science and learn some IT. If not just going for the IT degree. I like the other tech courses, but in the catalog, the others require physics, this one and IT requires either chemistry or physics. I have an aversion to physics due to knowing I would fail miserably, but chemistry doesn't bother me as much.

If applied science applies to....science....there's a microbiology from Study.com that comes in as UL, and a pathophysiology that does also.

So maybe I could do those, some IT and programming and be good.

48 credits in one AOS is excessive, but at least the extras can fill a gen ed or free credits, according to the lady I spoke to. She said they could apply towards the mechanics/maintenance AAS, if they had one as a bachelor's that would be great.

Also thought about a learner-designed AOS, but they only allow 2 100 level classes, and even the advanced/2nd year MTT credits were all labeled as 100 prefixes at the college, so that's no good. They just kept walking up from 100 to 150 something in their numbering instead of going to 200. So I'm out of luck thanks to the 100-level rule.

Once I finish this history class, I am sending the transcript to my old CC to see if they let me finish the degree, then I will get both an associates and bachelors at TESU. If the CC doesn't let me, I will possibly do 2 Associate's at TESU and a bachelors.

Thanks for the info. Waiting impatiently for my application to go through so I can get some direction!
We are all on the same side here, trying to better our lives....so let's get along and help each other out. 

Learn a trade. Gain technical skills. Make money, then use this money to get a degree...if you have the desire. 

icampy Wrote:Gotcha. I applied yesterday. So hopefully can get some direction once that goes through. I have to take a social science, english comp 2, a tech writing and I will be done in gen eds from the looks of it.

It is, it's one of the ones I'm looking at. I have 48 credits in "Machine Tool Technology" MTT prefix. Figured it would be quicker since all I would need is 12 UL in any applied science and tech, and 2 more LL in any applied science and tech. Saves me a LOT of time. Plus I get to take some courses I'm interested in, instead of chugging away at specific ones I need. I would like to do another science and learn some IT. If not just going for the IT degree.

If applied science applies to....science....there's a microbiology from Study.com that comes in as UL, and a pathophysiology that does also.

So maybe I could do those, some IT and programming and be good.

48 credits in one AOS is excessive, but at least the extras can fill a gen ed or free credits, according to the lady I spoke to. She said they could apply towards the mechanics/maintenance AAS, if they had one as a bachelor's that would be great.

Also thought about a learner-designed AOS, but they only allow 2 100 level classes, and even the advanced/2nd year MTT credits were all labeled as 100 prefixes at the college, so that's no good. They just kept walking up from 100 to 150 something in their numbering instead of going to 200. So I'm out of luck thanks to the 100-level rule.

Thanks for the info. Waiting impatiently for my application to go through so I can get some direction!

What courses were labeled at the college you took them at doesn't necessarily mean that's what they will come in as at TESU. They get to decide what to call them. So you will just have to wait to see what they do with them. Also, there's no guarantee they will put anything in Gen Ed, so be prepared for that - if they call them Free Electives, then you're going to have a harder time.

I would finish the Gen Ed's you know for certain you need, and then wait for the eval to come through. Post it on here when you get it so we can help further.

Also, regarding needing a Social Science - TESU doesn't have that as a requirement, so I'm not sure where you got that - but I think I would do the English Comp II and Tech Writing, and transfer those in during the eval period if you can (just so these boxes are checked). It's always best to get as many courses done and into the eval as possible right from the start.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Thanks, I meant "knowledge of human cultures"

I'm currently finishing off a BSBA, but when I had my initial evaluation done for a BSAST in Technical Studies they filled the AOS with lower level technical courses which I had transferred over. It showed the area as satisfied (I also have an over-abundance of upperlevel credits in random not technical areas). You might not need to go searching for those credits. Since I am going to try to pick up the BSAST after my BSBA I will have to go searching for the 24 additional credits. So if anyone else knows of other good UL sources please tell us!

Ellis
Thanks buddy, thats encouraging. I will find out soon, maybe I will luck out. If not, I will probably shoot for the IT degree.

Hopefully theyll see that I obviously have a high level of competence with 48 credits in it and going on to literally machine stuff that has gone to the karman line in space :-)

Now if I can only pass comp II with these run-on sentences. Holy moly!

I sure wish TESU would hurry up, anxious to get an evaluation.

Application approved. Anyone know what office to have my CC transcript mailed to, and do I just choose "office of registrar" from ACE's university list to send it over?

icampy Wrote:I sure wish TESU would hurry up, anxious to get an evaluation.

Do you know if TESU accepts the Electronic ACE Transcript it offers? I plan on sending in and getting everything going with TESU at the end of January range. Once all my SL/Study.com stuff hits ACE
Thomas Edison State University - BSBA: Accounting - September 2017

B&M: Stats, Business Law I, Microeconomics, Business Comm, Computer Concepts and Apps, Financial Accounting, Intermediate Accounting II, Managerial Accounting, Not-for-Profit Accounting
CLEP: Sociology, Psychology, Marketing, College Comp Modular, Human Growth and Development
Institutes: Ethics 312
Aleks: Intermediate Algebra, College Algebra, PreCalculus
Shmoop: U.S. History I, U.S. History II, Modern European History
Study.com: Principles of Finance, Advanced Accounting I, Applied Managerial Accounting, American Government, Macroeconomics, Principles of Management, Globalization and International Management, English Composition II, Intro to Computing, Public Speaking, Info Systems and Comp Apps
SL: Intermediate Accounting I, Introduction to Religon, Cost Accounting, Western Civilization I/II
TECEP: Strategic Management, Federal Income Tax

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  AP Computer Science A homeschoolmom1 7 210 03-20-2024, 08:38 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  So... I decided doing a UK Level 5 on Information Technology, here's why elcastor21 15 857 03-09-2024, 11:54 AM
  Questions regarding IDSS (through the MITx micromaster for data science path) blablablox 0 176 03-06-2024, 09:58 AM
Last Post: blablablox
  Offspring and Descendents Lead Singers On Why They Got Science PhDs Jonathan Whatley 9 1,204 02-16-2024, 10:37 PM
  Introductory data science courses inor 6 509 02-08-2024, 08:52 PM
Last Post: fmsoa
  Metropolia Transition to Bachelor of Engineering in Information Technology aleksa 10 1,443 11-09-2023, 03:36 PM
Last Post: aleksa
  Recommendations For 18 LL or 9 UL Social Science Credits harrypotter 3 381 11-08-2023, 07:27 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  So long, computer science — Chaos Studies is the hot new college degree LevelUP 9 1,163 10-15-2023, 11:14 PM
Last Post: MrPanda
Information Coursera Bachelor of Science in Computer Science for $4k! nomaduser 19 3,876 09-16-2023, 06:32 PM
  How Technology Shapes Ideas - University of Chicago Graham School Charles Fout 0 256 09-15-2023, 09:38 AM
Last Post: Charles Fout