Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ULondon & Coursera
A new Bachelors in Business
https://www.fenews.co.uk/press-releases/...ion-degree
I personally don't believe UoL degree is reputable outside of UK
(10-13-2021, 04:09 PM)nomaduser Wrote: I personally don't believe UoL degree is reputable outside of UK

Why? Some of the University of London constituent colleges are among the world's most famous. The degree mentioned in the article is from Royal Holloway, University of London. As in, Royal Holloway is the college, University of London is the underlying degree granting institution. Anyone who graduates from one of the constituent colleges obtains a University of London degree... I dare you to look someone who got their degree via UCL, KCL or LSE in the eye and tell them the University of London is not reputable. You are entitled to your 'personal beliefs', but to be honest they are not particularly sensible ones.
[-] The following 1 user Likes sarahmac's post:
  • sanantone
Well, I've seen a UoL CS guy ... and he was working at an IT company full of community college grads. That tells me that UoL degree isn't regarded very well, definitely worse than any normal four-year university in US.
(10-13-2021, 05:41 PM)nomaduser Wrote: Well, I've seen a UoL CS guy ... and he was working at an IT company full of community college grads. That tells me that UoL degree isn't regarded very well, definitely worse than any normal four-year university in US.

So your sample size is 1?
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
[-] The following 2 users Like MNomadic's post:
  • mancheseter24, sanantone
I've seen around four... none of them had valid / well-paying IT jobs.
So I decided to not look into UoL stuffs... maybe it's better to get an online degree from four-year university in US.
My first thought was "Look at the world rankings of universities."  That should tell you something about how University of London is viewed outside of the UK.  So I looked at one (there are several others) and interestingly enough, they broke it down into the the rankings of each of the constituent colleges
Search Best Global Universities - US News Education
So the prestigiousness of the degree might depend on which component of the university you attended.  The CIS component (from Goldsmiths) might not be that great but another degree, say from Birkbeck, might be very highly regarded.
Goldsmiths is ranked #1192 in the world lol:
https://www.usnews.com/education/best-gl...don-529433
And I did my first bachelor’s and master’s degrees in history at two of the higher ranked public universities in the United States. I took classes from multiple professors with advanced degrees from University of London colleges (King’s, the Courtauld Institute, and LSE, in particular). I was impressed enough with my professors and what they said about the institutions that I applied to a couple of the UofL schools for PhD programs.

Both of these experiences are anecdotal and, somewhat remarkably, neither of them have ANYTHING to do with a brand new, online business degree.
Master of Accountancy (taxation concentration), University of Texas Rio Grande Valley, in progress. 
Master of Business Administration (financial planning specialization), University of Texas Rio Grande Valley, in progress.

BA, UMPI.  Accounting major; Business Administration major/Management & Leadership concentration.  Awarded Dec. 2021.

In-person/B&M: BA (history, archaeology)
In-person/B&M: MA (American history)

Sophia: 15 courses (42hrs)
UoL was the cheaper alternative for many people to get a degree back in the day. I think a full program cost like 5k pounds. But in recent years, they've increased their prices almost 3 folds. I think the last program that still has the 'cheaper' price band is their Philosophy degree, but everything else has gone up. they've also removed many of the older programs which were unique. the BSc BA is gonna cost 16k pounds for ppl living in the US - that's around $21k USD. Can prob do a TESU + Masters for else where that same amount.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Prompt Engineering Course by Vanderbilt University on Coursera LevelUP 2 218 03-23-2024, 05:28 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  New Georgetown Coursera Bachelors smartdegree 73 9,007 03-18-2024, 11:54 AM
Last Post: SilentWarrior
  Coursera Certs Offline natshar 4 294 03-10-2024, 12:03 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Coursera & Edx - Peer Reviewed Assignments bjcheung77 7 933 01-09-2024, 12:01 PM
Last Post: gulshan212
  Coursera Plus for $1/month... Expires Sept 21, 2023 bjcheung77 7 1,195 11-22-2023, 10:50 PM
Last Post: Avidreader
Information Coursera Bachelor of Science in Computer Science for $4k! nomaduser 19 3,870 09-16-2023, 06:32 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Coursera, Udemy & LinkedIn Learning ss20ts 6 1,966 06-12-2023, 11:51 PM
Last Post: Vle045
  New course from Coursera Imbanewbie 3 864 05-13-2023, 03:34 PM
Last Post: HVzR5
  Google IT support from Coursera qualify ACE credit Imbanewbie 74 18,970 01-30-2023, 10:18 AM
Last Post: Tammy Sellers
  Coursera - BS in Computer Science from top US university for only $10k ! nomaduser 43 6,708 01-25-2023, 12:35 AM
Last Post: MrPanda