Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
UMPI BS in liberal arts with a minor in management
Good morning everyone :I am a 50 year old immigrant, who always thought that a college degree was unachievable, but as years went by and kids were growing up, I decided to try and get some education.
First I completed my GED. GOSH, that felt great. Now I am dreaming big. I want to be a lawyer , so...... here I am. I have found a great online school that is super affordable and it is the only online school accredited in California. So if someone is interested the name of the school is Northwestern California university school of law. 
I cannot believe that I never heard about UMPI. I was about to go with Excelsior to get an AA in liberal arts, but after reading your posts I have decided to do a Bachelor's of science in liberal arts with a management minor. 
The reason? well... I am horrible at math, and that degree seems to have the least amount of math. So maybe you guys can guide me in the right direction .i WOULD LOVE TO AVOID MATH AT AL COSTS and extensive essays because English is my second language and I do struggle a lot at times.

The following are the credits via examination that i already have 
CLEP                                                        SCORE

SPANISH LEVEL I AND II                             77
SPANISH WITH WRITING LEVEL I AND II      80
PRINCIPLES OF MANAGEMENT                     65
PRINCIPLES OF MARKETING                        54

SOPHIA

ART HISTORY I
ART HISTORY II
COLLEGE ALGEBRA
CONFLICT RESOLUTION
DEVELOPING EFFECTIVE TEAMS
ENVIRONMENTAL SCIENCE
HUMAN BIOLOGY
IT CAREER EXPLORATION
INTRODUCTION TO BUSINESS
INTRODUCTIONS TO ETHICS
INTRODUCTION TO PSYCHOLOGY
INTRODUCTION TO SOCIOLOGY
MACROECONOMICS
MICROECONOMICS
THE ESSENTIALS OF MANAGING CONFLICT
U.S. HISTORY I
U.S. HISTORY II
VISUAL COMMUNICATIONS
BUSINESS LAW
ENGLISH COMPOSITION I

It is not very clear to me which credits counts towards which course at UMPI. maybe somebody can clarify that for me. Also does anybody have a suggested road map with required courses  to complete a bachelor's of science in liberal arts with management minor?

thanks a lot in advance for the help
UMPI, Bachelor of Liberal Studies - Managment Minor, 2021
Magna Cum Laude (3.8 GPA)
There's no way around it, you'll need math courses as they are GEC (general education requirement) at UMPI. You also have to complete a few English courses for UMPI. About 75% of UMPI's Final Assessments are written papers. If you're uncomfortable writing, then that would be a big problem at UMPI and in law school. Both have a great deal of writing. This is something you'll have to figure out how to work with.

Here's what I suggest you take and where:

InstantCert
American Government

Study.com
Biology 101L Intro to Biology with Lab - MUST be the science with lab course

You get 2 exams in the $200 monthly fee so if you can complete 2 courses in a month, then I would take a second course from these options:
Business 302
Business 304
Business 306
Business 312

But only 1 extra course as you need to complete a minimum of 30 credits at UMPI and the majority of the UL courses must be completed at UMPI as well.

Sophia
Ancient Greek Philosophers
Introduction to Statistics
Approaches to Studying Religions
Project Management

I would NOT take anymore English courses on Sophia. They're shorter, faster, and easier at UMPI. You have 1 paper at UMPI verses 6-7 in English Comp II on Sophia.
(08-01-2021, 01:11 PM)ss20ts Wrote: There's no way around it, you'll need math courses as they are GEC (general education requirement) at UMPI. You also have to complete a few English courses for UMPI. About 75% of UMPI's Final Assessments are written papers. If you're uncomfortable writing, then that would be a big problem at UMPI and in law school. Both have a great deal of writing. This is something you'll have to figure out how to work with.

InstantCert
American Government

Study.com

You get 2 exams in the $200 monthly fee so if you can complete 2 courses in a month, then I would take a second course from these options:
Business 302
Business 304
Business 306
Business 312

But only 1 extra course as you need to complete a minimum of 30 credits at UMPI and the majority of the UL courses must be completed at UMPI as well.

Sophia
Project Management

I would NOT take anymore English courses on Sophia. They're shorter, faster, and easier at UMPI. You have 1 paper at UMPI verses 6-7 in English Comp II on Sophia.
Thank you very much for your quick response . I was just reading some of your postings about the first weeks at UMPI. Very goods stuff there. Thank you for sharing.

(08-01-2021, 01:24 PM)Federicojavier Wrote:
(08-01-2021, 01:11 PM)ss20ts Wrote: There's no way around it, you'll need math courses as they are GEC (general education requirement) at UMPI. You also have to complete a few English courses for UMPI. About 75% of UMPI's Final Assessments are written papers. If you're uncomfortable writing, then that would be a big problem at UMPI and in law school. Both have a great deal of writing. This is something you'll have to figure out how to work with.

InstantCert
American Government

Study.com

Business 302
Business 304
Business 306
Business 312

Sophia
Project Management

Thank you very much for your quick response . I was just reading some of your postings about the first weeks at UMPI. Very goods stuff there. Thank you for sharing.

Question : is in it instantcert just a preparation course to go take a clep exam, or is there a way to test with them?
If you are a native Spanish-speaker, then I recommend NOT doing UMPI (which I've heard will require a lot of essays) and instead get a BALS at TESU and take the ACTFL exams. If you do the OPIc and WPT exams and score the highest level, you will get 12cr UL and 12cr LL for them (6/6 each). With what you already have, you're looking at 5 courses remaining plus the cornerstone and capstone.

Of course, you need to bring in 24cr of RA credit, so I would suggest doing the remaining courses that way:
Public Speaking requirement - COM 105 - Oral Communication (ONU) $150
Written Comm requirement - ENG 200 - College Writing II (ONU) $150 - prob same amount of work as Sophia or Study.com
Civic Engagement requirement - PSY223: American Government (ONU) $150
UL course - HIS 379 - Latin American History and Politics (ONU) $150 or a UExcel
LL 200-level course - ONU, UExcel or TECEP
3 additional courses to replace things you've already taken as ACE/NCCRS credits such as:
Intro to Sociology (ONU, UExcel or TECEP)
Macroecon (UExcel)
Microecon (TECEP, UExcel)
Prin of Management (UExcel)
Prin of Marketing (UExcel)

Those are just examples. But I think with your test-taking abilities, these are totally doable.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Another option is EC; all you need there is English Comp II (Sophia or Study.com), the ACTFL exams for your UL, and then 2 UL courses in the Arts & Sciences (Humanities, SocSci,, History, NatSci or Math), and 2 UL courses of whatever (so business if you want). You can take UExcel exams for these, or just get them however (like Study.com).

EC is cheaper than TESU, so that's a really good option as well.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • FastTrackDegree
InstantCert has ACE courses. They are not anything to do with CLEP exams.

https://www.instantcert.com/articles/art...IT-Courses
(08-01-2021, 01:34 PM)ss20ts Wrote: InstantCert has ACE courses. They are not anything to do with CLEP exams.

Thank you . i just followed the link you sent me and now it is clearer to me .LOL
[-] The following 1 user Likes Federicojavier's post:
  • ss20ts
(08-01-2021, 01:37 PM)Federicojavier Wrote:
(08-01-2021, 01:34 PM)ss20ts Wrote: InstantCert has ACE courses. They are not anything to do with CLEP exams.

Thank you . i just followed the link you sent me and now it is clearer to me .LOL

Yeah their website is a bit confusing! Lots of info on there.
(08-01-2021, 01:32 PM)dfrecore Wrote: If you are a native Spanish-speaker, then I recommend NOT doing UMPI (which I've heard will require a lot of essays) and instead get a BALS at TESU and take the ACTFL exams.  If you do the OPIc and WPT exams and score the highest level, you will get 12cr UL and 12cr LL for them (6/6 each).  With what you already have, you're looking at 5 courses remaining plus the cornerstone and capstone.

Of course, you need to bring in 24cr of RA credit, so I would suggest doing the remaining courses that way:
Public Speaking requirement - COM 105 - Oral Communication (ONU) $150
Written Comm requirement - ENG 200 - College Writing II (ONU) $150 - prob same amount of work as Sophia or Study.com
Civic Engagement requirement - PSY223: American Government (ONU) $150
UL course - HIS 379 - Latin American History and Politics (ONU) $150 or a UExcel
LL 200-level course - ONU, UExcel or TECEP
3 additional courses to replace things you've already taken as ACE/NCCRS credits such as:
Intro to Sociology (ONU, UExcel or TECEP)
Macroecon (UExcel)
Microecon (TECEP, UExcel)
Prin of Management (UExcel)
Prin of Marketing (UExcel)

Those are just examples.  But I think with your test-taking abilities, these are totally doable.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Another option is EC; all you need there is English Comp II (Sophia or Study.com), the ACTFL exams for your UL, and then 2 UL courses in the Arts & Sciences (Humanities, SocSci,, History, NatSci or Math), and 2 UL courses of whatever (so business if you want).  You can take UExcel exams for these, or just get them however (like Study.com).

EC is cheaper than TESU, so that's a really good option as well.
Thanks a lot for the detailed explanation. I will have to look into that . Half of the things you are saying , i never heard about.It looks promising though.
(08-01-2021, 01:32 PM)dfrecore Wrote: If you are a native Spanish-speaker, then I recommend NOT doing UMPI (which I've heard will require a lot of essays) and instead get a BALS at TESU and take the ACTFL exams.  If you do the OPIc and WPT exams and score the highest level, you will get 12cr UL and 12cr LL for them (6/6 each).  With what you already have, you're looking at 5 courses remaining plus the cornerstone and capstone.

One reason I would say to go for UMPI and not all of the test available is that the OP wants to go to law school. Law school has a great deal of writing so this would be the time to improve on their English writing skills.
(08-01-2021, 01:38 PM)ss20ts Wrote:
(08-01-2021, 01:37 PM)Federicojavier Wrote:

Yeah their website is a bit confusing! Lots of info on there.

I really like the scoring system they use .You can have a not so great final exam and still make it. Do you suggest me to take any other courses there, that could be helpful for my degree?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  minimum age for UMPI students YourPace EducationSeeker 0 14 53 minutes ago
Last Post: EducationSeeker
  Math GECs Sophia/UMPI colonelcamp 2 66 5 hours ago
Last Post: jg_nuy
  Undergraduate Degree Liberal Studies w/ a Minor in Psychology molov 1 40 5 hours ago
Last Post: jg_nuy
  UMPI YourPace BLS w/ Management Minor Reference Plan valentvne 0 35 6 hours ago
Last Post: valentvne
  Framed UMPI Diploma joshua27 31 6,190 9 hours ago
Last Post: colonelcamp
  New considering UMPI but…. manyoptions4me 55 5,367 04-16-2024, 01:26 PM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  UMPI BLS MISM VS Pierport then UMPI BAS k681 11 434 04-16-2024, 09:15 AM
Last Post: Hotdogman1
  Are TEEX courses eligible for credits at UMPI? soulking 7 319 04-16-2024, 12:44 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Is a Criminal Justice Minor Possible? Marlin9276 3 175 04-13-2024, 09:13 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  BLS Management Minor Degree Plan mohelena02 4 402 04-12-2024, 10:19 AM
Last Post: mohelena02