Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
UMPI Bachelor of liberal studies-management minor - Start to finish in 5 months
By the time I am writing this post, I am a 50-year-old immigrant who moved to the states 20 years ago as an uneducated person. I have two kids, ages 9 and 12. I was married for 25 years to the mother of my kids, and we got divorced four years ago. I swore to myself that I would enjoy a few years as a bachelor, but Cupid had plans for me, and a few months after the divorce, I met a wonderful woman to whom I am proudly married now.
 Years of addictions and bad decisions made my education path impossible to complete, and once I was able to get sober, the reality of life made me believe that it was too late to pursue a career.
Because of the mess I created and the fact that nobody believed in me after betraying them all, I gathered a few things and emigrated north, where nobody knew about my past.
For the next ten years, I dedicated myself to working seven days a week. It was my way to stay out of trouble, and it worked. I have been sober and out of trouble for over 21 years now.
   I used to think that a college degree was unachievable. As years went by and kids were growing up and asking questions, I started to question myself that it was, in fact, not too late to complete my GED. I have to admit that I was concerned about my ability to get my brain going again into “learning mode” after all those years of abusing it. But It was not that hard after all, and the sense of satisfaction that I felt after graduation was a gratifying feeling that created, without me knowing at the time, the stepping stone for further advancement.
At first, I thought that was the end of the road for me as far as education goes, more so because I always managed to make a living and provide for my family as a small business owner. Still, the seed of education was already rooted in my soul, and it would not leave me alone.

I chose the Bachelor’s in Liberal Studies with a management minor because it is the degree that takes the most Sophia/Clep/study.com/InstanTcert credits. My goal was to complete only ten classes at the University of Maine at Presque Isle and get them done in one term. That is what I did; thanks to ashkir and ss20ts for putting together a degree plan for me. I followed that plan and transferred all the earned credits, a total of --97, to UMPI (Please note that only 90 were used). I am posting below what I did, hoping that someone gets to benefit from it.

I started on July second with CLEP and on July eleventh with Sophia. I finished my last class at UMPI on November first.

The following is the list of classes taken from start to finish to complete my degree.

CLEP

SPANISH LEVEL I AND II   6   (ONLY 3 UNITS ARE REQUIRED, BUT SINCE I AM A NATIVE SPANISH SPEAKER, I TOOK ADVANTAGE OF IT)
PRINCIPLES OF MANAGEMENT 3 TRANSFERRED AS UL BUS325
PRINCIPLES OF MARKETING  3 TRANSFERRED AS UL BUS330

INSTANTCERT
AMERICAN GOVERNMENT 3 

SOPHIA 

ART HISTORY I 3 
ART HISTORY II  3
COLLEGE ALGEBRA 3 
CONFLICT RESOLUTION 3 
DEVELOPING EFFECTIVE TEAMS 1 
ENVIRONMENTAL SCIENCE 3 
HUMAN BIOLOGY 3 
IT CAREER EXPLORATION 1 
INTRODUCTION TO BUSINESS 3 
INTRODUCTIONS TO ETHICS 3 
INTRODUCTION TO PSYCHOLOGY 3
INTRODUCTION TO SOCIOLOGY 3 
MACROECONOMICS 3
MICROECONOMICS 3
ESSENTIALS OF MANAGING CONFLICT 1 
U.S. HISTORY I 3 
U.S. HISTORY II 3
VISUAL COMMUNICATIONS 3
PROJECT MANAGEMENT 3
BUSINESS LAW I 3 TRANSFERRED AS UL BUS350
PRINCIPLES OF FINANCE 3 
INTRODUCTION TO INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY 3 

ACCOUNTING 3 
ENGLISH COMPOSITION I 3 
ANCIENT GREEK PHILOSOPHERS 3 
COMMUNICATION AT WORK 3

INTRODUCTION TO WEB DEVELOPMENT 3

STUDY.COM
LEADING ORGANIZATIONAL CHANGE 3
BIOLOGY 101 WITH LAB 4

UMPI
BUS 260 LEADERSHIP 3
BUS 321 HUMAN RESOURCE MANAGEMENT 3
BUS 335 ORGANIZATIONAL BEHAVIOR 3
BUS 352 BUSINESS LAW II 3
BUS 353 LEGAL & ETHICAL ISSUES IN BUSINESS 3
BUS 415 OPERATIONS MANAGEMENT 3
BUS 440 BUSINESS ANALYTICS 3
CRJ 350 CRIMINAL PROCEDURE 3
ENG 121 COLLEGE COMPOSITION II 3
HUM 103 CREATIVE DECISION MAKING 3

TOTAL COST OF THE DEGREE

$357 on CLEP.- This cost can be avoided by using Modern States to prepare for the exams
( WWW.modernstates.org)
 $158 with Sophia. 2 months x $79 EACH (www.sophia.org)
$35 with Instantcert (www.instantcert.com)
$250 with Study.com (WWW.study.com)
Yearly subscription with Grammarly $144

TRANSCRIPTS

GED SENT VIA GED.COM $15
CLEP VIA CLEP.COM $20
SOPHIA, INSTANTCERT, AND STUDY.COM VIA CREDLY.COM $0 (FREE)

I applied for FAFSA and was awarded $3,273.00 for the Fall term. UMPI kept $2800 and sent me a check for $473. A month later, I learned that I qualified for the HEERF III (supplemental Financial Aid), and I received a check for $1500.

Total out-of-pocket cost - $994 That is correct. I earned a bachelor’s degree, plus I ended up with $994 in my pocket after paying all my expenses.

[Image: AlumniLogo600-300x300.jpg]

UMPI, Bachelor of Liberal Studies - Managment Minor, 2021
Magna Cum Laude (3.8 GPA)
Dude. I'm so proud of you and all that you have achieved. You started way behind everyone else in the race and now you crossed the finish line in this marathon.
[-] The following 5 users Like ashkir's post:
  • clj626, Federicojavier, manyoptions4me, Novo, uncapentin
(11-02-2021, 02:50 PM)ashkir Wrote: Dude. I'm so proud of you and all that you have achieved. You started way behind everyone else in the race and now you crossed the finish line in this marathon.

Thank you so much Nicky. You know you helped me a lot. Wink
[-] The following 1 user Likes Federicojavier's post:
  • SophiaPrincess
Congratulations! You've put a lot of work into your degree. It's great that you were able to graduate. Very inspiring!
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(11-02-2021, 03:03 PM)rachel83az Wrote: Congratulations! You've put a lot of work into your degree. It's great that you were able to graduate. Very inspiring!
Thank you so much rachel83az for staying on top of everything here.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Federicojavier's post:
  • Novo
Congratulations! Thank you for posting this and your structure. It proves it can be done! Smile
[-] The following 1 user Likes Cole22's post:
  • Federicojavier
(11-02-2021, 03:20 PM)Cole22 Wrote: Congratulations! Thank you for posting this and your structure. It proves it can be done! Smile

Oh yeah!!! If I can do it, anybody can.
Very inspiring story! Congratulations!
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • Federicojavier
Amazing, man! Congrats on knocking that degree out!

I love seeing all the fellow board members hitting all their goals!
COSC AS 2019 - completed
COSC BSBA 2020 - completed
Cumberland School of Law M.S.L 2022 - completed
UA - MS Hospitality Management 2024 - in process

#GOACORNS
#GOBULLDOGS
#ROLLTIDE
[-] The following 2 users Like withrown's post:
  • carebear_007, Federicojavier
(11-02-2021, 03:39 PM)dfrecore Wrote: Very inspiring story! Congratulations!

Thank you

(11-02-2021, 03:45 PM)withrown Wrote: Amazing, man! Congrats on knocking that degree out!

I love seeing all the fellow board members hitting all their goals!

Thank you.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Inquiry Regarding Equivalent Classes for Remaining UMPI Requirements hicham78h 5 223 11 hours ago
Last Post: ss20ts
  Math GECs Sophia/UMPI colonelcamp 3 157 Yesterday, 10:07 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Sophia Scores and Transferring to UMPI colonelcamp 5 132 Yesterday, 12:35 AM
Last Post: colonelcamp
  Should I contact UMPI now or wait until I finish my GEC with Sophia then contact them JusW 3 139 04-22-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: JusW
  Undergraduate Degree Liberal Studies w/ a Minor in Psychology molov 4 216 04-21-2024, 10:52 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  UMPI YourPace BLS w/ Management Minor Reference Plan valentvne 6 274 04-21-2024, 10:23 PM
  minimum age for UMPI students YourPace EducationSeeker 6 269 04-20-2024, 05:19 PM
Last Post: EducationSeeker
  Framed UMPI Diploma joshua27 31 6,529 04-19-2024, 03:01 PM
  New considering UMPI but…. manyoptions4me 55 5,446 04-16-2024, 01:26 PM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  UMPI BLS MISM VS Pierport then UMPI BAS k681 11 481 04-16-2024, 09:15 AM
Last Post: Hotdogman1