Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
UMPI Degree Plan
Hello Everyone, 
I'm tired and I want to finish a degree fast, I'm currently at the UoW Flex for Business Administration, 
I like the classes the problem I have is that is the slow pace in a way. You have to pass each assessment with an 80 and sometimes you have 6-14 assessments ranging in quizzes, Projects, Papers, etc.

another thing that drives me crazy classes are divided. for example, Economic 1 has 2 courses. Marketing has two courses. So you end up taking more courses for the same amount of credits. and many are like that.

I still need 32 courses to graduate, instead of 15 or 16.

Anyways here are my courses, my questions are the following: 

1) Can I take other courses to accelerate before I start at UMPI in Study.com, SL or Sophia?
2) How important is Business Accreditation? UW Flex business program is AACSB, UMPI I believe it doesn't have any.

I don't think employers care too much at least my company doesn't care. They pay 100% if you go to SNHU, Excelsilior, CTU and a portion for DePaul University and I believe most of them are the other accreditation.

Miami Dade College
BSC 2085 Human Anatomy and Sociology (3)
BSC 2085L Human Anatomy Lab (1)
SLS 1510 Stident Sucess (3)
DEP 2000 Human Growth and Development  (3)
ENC 1101 English composition 1 (3)
PHI 2604 critical thinking and ethics (3)
SPC 1017 Speech Communication (3)
ENC 1102 English composition 2 (3)
PHI 2010 Intro to philosophy (3)
ISS 1120 The Social Environment  (3)
SLS 1125 (3)
ECO 2013 Principle of Macro (3)
GEB 1011 Intro to Business (3)
MAT 11105 (3) College Algebra
ECO 2023 Principles of Micro (3)
UW Flex BA (Wisconsin Parkside) So far
Stock Market Performance 1
Sales and Data Analytics using spreadsheet 2
Organizational Behavior and Leadership 3
Intro to Human Resources 3
Marketing Foundation 2

CLEP
Spanish Score 73

Straighter Line
Anthropology 3

Thanks for all the help!

Final goal finish in less than 1 year.
So, you didn't list what SLS 1125 is at the 1st school. You also didn't list the course numbers for UW, and you need to say whether the courses are UL or LL.

I can't help with UMPI, but I can tell you that if your company will pay 100% at Excelsior, I'd be very tempted to do that. They have 8week courses, and you only need to take the Cornerstone and Capstone there, but I'd be real tempted to do more there to get those UL's in that you need.

You can use Sophia and/or Study.com to get your remaining GE's done, and start taking EC courses right away as you're doing your Sophia/SDC.

I'd also consider SNHU.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
OP - does your employer have a partnership with uni's you listed or are you part of a union or something? I would recommend going for the SNHU degree over Excelsior and UMPI and that is due to programmatic/secondary accreditation. Have you looked at WGU?

SNHU has ACBSP, Excelsior has ICABE, UMPI doesn't have either. I would highly recommend getting the free degree options from whichever provider you choose - as long as their courses can be completed - cheap/easy/fast and provides you with a grounded education for the Masters.

SNHU just got past WGU recently to claim the top online university status, I think basically because of their cheap/inexpensive CollegeForAmerica program where they partner with corporations to provide their employees an Associates or Bachelors (each organization forks out $5000 per employee/year).
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(02-16-2021, 11:38 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: OP - does your employer have a partnership with uni's you listed or are you part of a union or something?  I would recommend going for the SNHU degree over Excelsior and UMPI and that is due to programmatic/secondary accreditation.  Have you looked at WGU?

SNHU has ACBSP, Excelsior has ICABE, UMPI doesn't have either.  I would highly recommend getting the free degree options from whichever provider you choose - as long as their courses can be completed - cheap/easy/fast and provides you with a grounded education for the Masters.  

SNHU just got past WGU recently to claim the top online university status, I think basically because of their cheap/inexpensive CollegeForAmerica program where they partner with corporations to provide their employees an Associates or Bachelors (each organization forks out $5000 per employee/year).

I'd like to add that CollegeForAmerica is actually a special version of SNHU. It is competency based meaning it is the same style that WGU and UMPI uses. With your transfer credits you could finish in a year. Also SNHU is generous with transfer credit. So if I were you I'd go for CollegeForAmerica over UMPI or at least look into it if you workplace qualifies you.
(02-16-2021, 11:38 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: OP - does your employer have a partnership with uni's you listed or are you part of a union or something?  I would recommend going for the SNHU degree over Excelsior and UMPI and that is due to programmatic/secondary accreditation.  Have you looked at WGU?

SNHU has ACBSP, Excelsior has ICABE, UMPI doesn't have either.  I would highly recommend getting the free degree options from whichever provider you choose - as long as their courses can be completed - cheap/easy/fast and provides you with a grounded education for the Masters.  

Thank you yes they have a partnership, I also get reimbursement if I pay out of pocket 12k a year.

I looked into WGU a year ago only 25 credits awarded at the time. 

Thank you

I forgot to mention they also pay for College for America but from what I remember their transfer policy is horrible not the same as SNHU I can double check.

(02-16-2021, 09:34 PM)Luiscastaneda25 Wrote: Hello Everyone, 
I'm tired and I want to finish a degree fast, I'm currently at the UoW Flex for Business Administration, 
I like the classes the problem I have is that is the slow pace in a way. You have to pass each assessment with an 80 and sometimes you have 6-14 assessments ranging in quizzes, Projects, Papers, etc.

another thing that drives me crazy classes are divided. for example, Economic 1 has 2 courses. Marketing has two courses. So you end up taking more courses for the same amount of credits. and many are like that.

1) Can I take other courses to accelerate before I start at UMPI in Study.com, SL or Sophia?
2) How important is Business Accreditation? UW Flex business program is AACSB, UMPI I believe it doesn't have any.

I don't think employers care too much at least my company doesn't care. They pay 100% if you go to SNHU, Excelsilior, CTU and a portion for DePaul University and I believe most of them are the other accreditation.

Miami Dade College
SLS 1125 (3) College Success I believe 
Baof 310Stock Market Performance 1
Baos 300Sales and Data Analytics using spreadsheet 2
Bals 310 Organizational Behavior and Leadership 3
Balm 3000 intro to Human Resources 3
Bals 300 Marketing Foundation 2

CLEP
Spanish Score 73

Straighter Line
Anthropology 3

Thanks for all the help!

Updated courses

(02-16-2021, 10:58 PM)dfrecore Wrote: So, you didn't list what SLS 1125 is at the 1st school.  You also didn't list the course numbers for UW, and you need to say whether the courses are UL or LL.

I can't help with UMPI, but I can tell you that if your company will pay 100% at Excelsior, I'd be very tempted to do that.  They have 8week courses, and you only need to take the Cornerstone and Capstone there, but I'd be real tempted to do more there to get those UL's in that you need.

You can use Sophia and/or Study.com to get your remaining GE's done, and start taking EC courses right away as you're doing your Sophia/SDC.

I'd also consider SNHU.
Thank you ️ I updated the list, UW uses weird course numbers
OP - are those courses from UW UL credits?
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(02-17-2021, 10:24 AM)dfrecore Wrote: OP - are those courses from UW UL credits?
To be honest I have no idea.
(02-17-2021, 11:48 AM)Luiscastaneda25 Wrote:
(02-17-2021, 10:24 AM)dfrecore Wrote: OP - are those courses from UW UL credits?

I went and looked at their website, and it's funky, but I was able to find the following, which doesn't quite match what you input:

BALM300X: Intro to the HR Function 3cr UL
BAEF301X: Stock Market Performance 1cr UL
BAOS300X: Sales & Data Analytics & Communication Using Spreadsheets 2cr UL
BAMS300X: Marketing Foundation Concepts & Applications 2cr UL
BALM310X: Organizational Behavior & Leadership 4cr UL

Can you confirm my info, or tell me that your info is correct instead?

Also, how much longer do you have left in your current term there, and are you going to finish anymore courses?

Miami Dade College
SLS 1125 (3)
Marketing Foundation 2

CLEP
Spanish Score 73

Straighter Line
Anthropology 3

Thanks for all the help!

As a currently enrolled UMPI student, here is my advice. It looks like you're going for a business degree at UW. UMPI has several opportunities for business degrees including a BA in Business Administration with concentrations in Accounting, Project Management, and Management & Leadership. There's also a BLS (Bachelor's of Liberal Studies) with minors in Project Management, Accounting, Management, and Management Information Systems. 

https://online.umpi.edu/

At UMPI, you will be required to complete a minimum of 30 credits at UMPI. You will be required to complete the GEC (their gen eds). You will be required to complete a specific number of UL credits. This will vary based on your degree program. You will have to complete the majority of those credits at UMPI. You will also have to complete UL credits outside of the major/minor. No need to worry though. UMPI offers every class you need to complete all of their degrees. 

You asked about accelerating. That's a thing at WGU not UMPI. Why? At UMPI you move at your own pace. You have 8 weeks to complete as many courses as you can or want. Each term is 8 weeks long. There are 2 terms in a semester. We have 3 semesters so 6 terms. 

I recommend you start on Sophia as soon as you can. Below are the courses I recommend you complete at Sophia. I do not recommend taking any English or public speaking courses on Sophia. They're far easier at UMPI. Much less writing and can be completed significantly faster at UMPI.

Accounting
Ancient Greek Philosophers
Approches to Studying Religions 
Communication at Work
Conflict Resolution
Environmental Science
Introduction to Psychology
Introduction to Sociology
Introduction to Statistics
US History 1 & 2
Visual Communications

That's it. Then apply. The application is free. You'll just need to pay for your transcripts. 

At UMPI you'll still need an 80 on your Final Assessment to pass the course. There are quizzes throughout our courses but they are not factored into our grade. You will only have one actual assignment and that's the Final Assessment which varies from a written 3 hour exam to a paper or project. Some papers are 3-5 pages and others are 15-20 pages. It depends on the course. Feel free to send me a pm with any questions you have about UMPI. 
(02-17-2021, 01:14 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(02-17-2021, 11:48 AM)Luiscastaneda25 Wrote:

I went and looked at their website, and it's funky, but I was able to find the following, which doesn't quite match what you input:

BALM300X: Intro to the HR Function 3cr UL
BAEF301X: Stock Market Performance 1cr UL
BAOS300X: Sales & Data Analytics & Communication Using Spreadsheets 2cr UL
BAMS300X: Marketing Foundation Concepts & Applications 2cr UL
BALM310X: Organizational Behavior & Leadership 4cr UL

Can you confirm my info, or tell me that your info is correct instead?

Also, how much longer do you have left in your current term there, and are you going to finish anymore courses?
oh my God!! You are the best, yes is correct probably I typo on my end!

(02-17-2021, 01:44 PM)ss20ts Wrote:

Miami Dade College
SLS 1125 (3)
Marketing Foundation 2

CLEP
Spanish Score 73

Straighter Line
Anthropology 3

Thanks for all the help!

As a currently enrolled UMPI student, here is my advice. It looks like you're going for a business degree at UW. UMPI has several opportunities for business degrees including a BA in Business Administration with concentrations in Accounting, Project Management, and Management & Leadership. There's also a BLS (Bachelor's of Liberal Studies) with minors in Project Management, Accounting, Management, and Management Information Systems. 

https://online.umpi.edu/

At UMPI, you will be required to complete a minimum of 30 credits at UMPI. You will be required to complete the GEC (their gen eds). You will be required to complete a specific number of UL credits. This will vary based on your degree program. You will have to complete the majority of those credits at UMPI. You will also have to complete UL credits outside of the major/minor. No need to worry though. UMPI offers every class you need to complete all of their degrees. 

You asked about accelerating. That's a thing at WGU not UMPI. Why? At UMPI you move at your own pace. You have 8 weeks to complete as many courses as you can or want. Each term is 8 weeks long. There are 2 terms in a semester. We have 3 semesters so 6 terms. 

I recommend you start on Sophia as soon as you can. Below are the courses I recommend you complete at Sophia. I do not recommend taking any English or public speaking courses on Sophia. They're far easier at UMPI. Much less writing and can be completed significantly faster at UMPI.

Accounting
Ancient Greek Philosophers
Approches to Studying Religions 
Communication at Work
Conflict Resolution
Environmental Science
Introduction to Psychology
Introduction to Sociology
Introduction to Statistics
US History 1 & 2
Visual Communications

That's it. Then apply. The application is free. You'll just need to pay for your transcripts. 

At UMPI you'll still need an 80 on your Final Assessment to pass the course. There are quizzes throughout our courses but they are not factored into our grade. You will only have one actual assignment and that's the Final Assessment which varies from a written 3 hour exam to a paper or project. Some papers are 3-5 pages and others are 15-20 pages. It depends on the course. Feel free to send me a pm with any questions you have about UMPI. 
Thanks for your advice, question why would I take some of the courses you mention if I believe some of my courses already count as some of them. 

For example Social Environment, History 2, Dep 2000 and Philosophy. 

Thanks

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Degree planning help - UMPI BBA vs PUG BSBA crowbird 29 353 50 minutes ago
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Potential Degree Input, Please curious 4 127 8 hours ago
Last Post: curious
  Dr Tree Man - BA in Psychology - UMPI YourPace Dr Tree Man 10 190 Yesterday, 07:24 PM
  Degree Planning- MS degree dodek101 7 266 Yesterday, 12:01 AM
  DBA degree: online, 2-3 years, top US or UK school, accredited absamer 22 1,471 03-26-2024, 11:54 PM
  Degree Planning Advice - 31, Norway, No Higher Education ASenna 28 1,847 03-26-2024, 06:00 AM
  Masters Degree in Texas Melhux 3 173 03-26-2024, 05:45 AM
  BACS BSCIS plan guidance LAMi 23 293 03-25-2024, 09:11 PM
  Almost 40 year old with foreign BA in English degree and Santa Monica College Cert KMcLean 12 947 03-25-2024, 08:12 PM
  Teaching plan? Piwi737 8 183 03-25-2024, 06:51 PM
Last Post: Piwi737