Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
UMPI History help
Ok, so a young man that worked for me part time while he was in HS, during which he also finished an associates (AA) went off the university to do a BA History afterwards and had what can only be described as a bad academic year there for a variety of reasons and excuses.

He is back working for me in the warehouse and is a smart young man who has been beating himself up like there is no tomorrow over his bad FT university experience.

I have convinced him after almost a year to stop beating himself up and that there can be another path to degree than going back FT which the idea of throws his anxiety thru the roof.

I am thinking that UMPI for their yourpace history is a good solution and now working on a plan. 

He has the following 

BIO 1107 Principles of Bio l with lab 4 CH
ENGL 1101 English Comp 1  3 CH
Hist 1121 Western Civ l  3 CH
ENGL 1102 English Comp ll 3 CH
HIST 2111 American History l 3 CH
MATH 1111 College Algebra 3 CH
PHSC Physical Science 3 CH
ENGL 2132 American Lit ll 3 CH
HIST 1122 Western Civ ll 3 CH
SOCI 1101 Intro to Sociology 3 CH
ECON 2105 Prin of macroeconomics 3 CH
HIST 2112 American History ll 3 CH
MATH 2101 Intro to Stats 3 CH
PHED 1010 PhysicalFitness for life 3 CH
ANTH 1102 Intro to Anthropology 3 CH
BIOL 1112K Intro to Biology ll with lab 4 CH
COLQ 2993 Social Science Colloquium 3 CH
PSYC 1101 Intro to Psycology 3 CH
POLS 1101 American Government 3 CH

So, he has 63 CH of RA credit

I had him do ACTFL as he speaks/reads/writes Spanish and one result is back for the WPT at Intermediate HIGH which is 6LD=1UD and the Opic he just found out wasn't clear enough with background noise so needs to do again.

I plan to have him apply to UMPI and work with admissions, but from my reading here, once admitted any further ACE stuff like sophia or SDC can't be brought in once started. I was leaning towards having him max out the 90 CH transfer in before starting yourpace at UMPI so he can hopefully bang it out in 2 terms.

He is pretty set on a history degree, I appreciate any advice that helps me guide him on this journey. 

Thanks
DBA Student at South College starting in October 2022, Target finish date May 2024

Certificate for the Study of Capitalism at University of Arkansas finished July 2022

MBA with Hellenic American University started March 29th, 2021 , finished May 20th 2022, Graduated in June 2022

BSBA at Thomas Edison State University started May 21st 2020 with Sophia and SDC, finished Jan 24th, 2021, Graduated on 12 March of 2021

Total time to complete both degrees 2 years exactly, total cost just a small bit over $10,000

Thanks Degreeforum!
I believe what is usually mentioned is that’s it’s easier for ACE credit to be accepted prior to enrollment but you can definitely still transfer in credits after. I transferred in Spanish from instantcert after enrollment without issues. I also just had 2 classes approved from study.com and I’m actively taking classes at UMPI.

Most people say the classes at UMPI are typically quicker than anything you take at other providers and you may as well just take everything there once you’ve enrolled and are paying tuition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[-] The following 2 users Like oroseeo's post:
  • cerich67, rachel83az
He's got biology, so that's good! According to ashkir, that is currently the worst and most difficult course at UMPI. It looks like he should take ethics at Sophia (but take Greek Philosophers first!!!), but I'm not 100% sure because he does have intro to psychology. Judging by the list here https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/UM...quivalents, I think he should take:

Greek Philosophers
Intro to Ethics
Communication at Work or Conflict Resolution (IMO, Communication at work is easier even though it has an assignment)
Environmental Science
Anything else he's interested in that doesn't overlap with what he's already got.

Combined with the ACTFL credits (he only needs 6), he should be at or close to 90 credits and ready to get started.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(04-06-2021, 10:32 AM)rachel83az Wrote: He's got biology, so that's good! According to ashkir, that is currently the worst and most difficult course at UMPI. It looks like he should take ethics at Sophia (but take Greek Philosophers first!!!), but I'm not 100% sure because he does have intro to psychology. Judging by the list here https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/UM...quivalents, I think he should take:

Greek Philosophers
Intro to Ethics
Communication at Work or Conflict Resolution (IMO, Communication at work is easier even though it has an assignment)
Environmental Science
Anything else he's interested in that doesn't overlap with what he's already got.

Combined with the ACTFL credits (he only needs 6), he should be at or close to 90 credits and ready to get started.

awesome and thank you!
DBA Student at South College starting in October 2022, Target finish date May 2024

Certificate for the Study of Capitalism at University of Arkansas finished July 2022

MBA with Hellenic American University started March 29th, 2021 , finished May 20th 2022, Graduated in June 2022

BSBA at Thomas Edison State University started May 21st 2020 with Sophia and SDC, finished Jan 24th, 2021, Graduated on 12 March of 2021

Total time to complete both degrees 2 years exactly, total cost just a small bit over $10,000

Thanks Degreeforum!
Hmm, here's another option, ask the young lad if he has any other plans with his education. Also ask him if he would like to use up his Pell Grant/Financial Aid before it dries up... If he does, then I suggest going the TESU route, so he can get a BA History and another degree if needed. The only thing he would need would be the cornerstone/capstone and I recommend at least 16 credits so he doesn't need to pay the residency waiver fee.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • cerich67
If he wants to do it through one of the Big 3, COSC has a BALS w/Concentration in History degree that's fairly cheap. Unfortunately, I don't think they'll take the ACTFL credits (major bummer), but it's worth asking about for sure.

Here's what he'd need to take:

Sophia $79/mo for 2 courses at a time ($79 total)
Public Speaking
Art History I, II or Visual Communications

Study.com $199/mo for 2 courses (so approx 5 months with 1 of those at 3 courses for $1,070)
BUS 318: Management Ethics (UL)
SPA 101: Beginning Spanish
SPA 102: Intermediate Spanish
HIS 106: The Civil War & Reconstruction
HIS 108: History of the Vietnam War
HIS 306: The American Civil War Era (UL)
HIS 308: Causes & Effects of the Vietnam War (UL)
HIS 311: The Holocaust and WWII (UL)
Any 3 UL liberal arts courses

ONU YourWay $50/cr ($150)
HIS 379 - Latin American History and Politics (UL)

Sterling College Online $145/cr ($435)
HI371 History of Islamic Civilizations or another UL Non-Western History course (UL)

Tuition & fees for 1 term at COSC (includes cornerstone & capstone): $2,848
TOTAL PRICE $4,582
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • cerich67
Is there something about how you have to be a few years out of high school or age to do UMPI yourpace? I remember seeing a post about it here. Idk the age of this person but something keep in mind.
[-] The following 1 user Likes natshar's post:
  • cerich67

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New considering UMPI but…. manyoptions4me 55 5,355 04-16-2024, 01:26 PM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  UMPI BLS MISM VS Pierport then UMPI BAS k681 11 426 04-16-2024, 09:15 AM
Last Post: Hotdogman1
  Are TEEX courses eligible for credits at UMPI? soulking 7 313 04-16-2024, 12:44 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  UMPI Minor Question WayToGoGrad 6 285 04-09-2024, 09:46 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Sophia to UMPI Transcript wowzers 9 413 04-06-2024, 01:19 PM
  UMPI Class Review Master Thread RbxFunRocks 96 62,589 04-01-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: ivanswk78
  choosing between UMPI BBA in management&leadership vs project management whereismyramen 6 325 03-26-2024, 04:13 PM
  What is considered FT at UMPI YourPace for the Pell Grant? RachelB 3 307 03-26-2024, 05:50 AM
  Help with UMPI admissions requirement Throwmeaway1590 2 344 03-25-2024, 08:24 PM
  Sophia's Human biology and lab did not meet UMPi's BIO 105 HappyPeanut 9 1,023 03-22-2024, 07:53 PM
Last Post: lifted567