Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
(UMPI Your Pace) Help with Degree Plan
Hello Everyone!  Smile
I would like to start by saying thank you to everyone for being so helpful on this forum. The discussions are priceless and really encouraging...

I plan on attending UMPI online and majoring in the Bachelors of liberal studies- Educational studies minor program. Any assistance/ Advice with helping me put together a roadmap to attain this degree as fast as possible would be great. Before I enroll, I would like to transfer as many courses as possible so that way I am only left with the 30 unit mandatory requirement.  I am open and willing to take courses through sophia, study.com and straighterline, InstantCertCredit etc.
Thank you  Big Grin

These are the current classes I have taken through a prior university: 

CRJU 100 Intro to crime, law B+
English 101 Beginning College Writi B
Univ 100 college success A-
Geol 101 Introduction to Geology C
Gel 101L Introduction to Geology C
Hcom 100 Intro to human comm B
AFAM 308 Black men in america B+
Amst 201 Intro to american studi C+
Hcom 235 Essentials of arguments B
Afam 304 Black families in ameri A-
Hist 110A world civilization to B-
Afam 190 Am hist Ethnic minoriti A-
Soci 101 Introduction to sociolo C
Political Science 101 B
Spanish 101 C
Are you sure that you wouldn't like to get the BA History/Poli Sci degree? Based on what you've already taken, it sounds like a good fit for you.

But, if you'd prefer the BLS w/ Education Studies minor, that's also a good option.

You'll need to make sure that you've got your GEC requirements met. Sophia is the easiest/cheapest way to do that. You can see equivalencies here: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/UM...quivalents

You've already got 3D & 3E met with your geology class + lab, so you just need to do 3C with Human Biology.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • superman7136
@superman7136 - Hey, that's a pretty compact and concise set of info, but doesn't have all the details I ususally would like to see.  Can you answer the following template and also the last post addendum?  Link: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...Area-works  

There are so many variables that is missing, having said that, I think the BLS - Education Minor might be great for you if you're intending to go into Early Childhood Education.  Here's the WIKI with the UMPI plans, select the Education Minor: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Category:UMPI
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • superman7136
(09-01-2022, 11:48 AM)rachel83az Wrote: Are you sure that you wouldn't like to get the BA History/Poli Sci degree? Based on what you've already taken, it sounds like a good fit for you.

But, if you'd prefer the BLS w/ Education Studies minor, that's also a good option.

You'll need to make sure that you've got your GEC requirements met. Sophia is the easiest/cheapest way to do that. You can see equivalencies here: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/UM...quivalents

You've already got 3D & 3E met with your geology class + lab, so you just need to do 3C with Human Biology.

Thank you for your response and for the link you provided Smile . I did look into that major but my preference is to continue with the BLS w/ Education Studies minor as it seems like a better fit for me. I will focus on those GE requirements.

(09-01-2022, 11:50 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: @superman7136 - Hey, that's a pretty compact and concise set of info, but doesn't have all the details I ususally would like to see.  Can you answer the following template and also the last post addendum?  Link: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...Area-works  

There are so many variables that is missing, having said that, I think the BLS - Education Minor might be great for you if you're intending to go into Early Childhood Education.  Here's the WIKI with the UMPI plans, select the Education Minor: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Category:UMPI

Thank you for your reply. 

Your Location: California, United States.
Your Age: 24
What kind of degree do you want?: Bachelor of liberal studies- Educational studies minor 
Current Regional Accredited Credits:

California University Fullerton (45)
CRJU 100 Intro to crime, law B+
English 101 Beginning College Writi B
Univ 100 college success A-
Geol 101 Introduction to Geology C
Gel 101L Introduction to Geology C
Hcom 100 Intro to human comm B
AFAM 308 Black men in america B+
Amst 201 Intro to american studi C+
Hcom 235 Essentials of arguments B
Afam 304 Black families in ameri A-
Hist 110A world civilization to B-
Afam 190 Am hist Ethnic minoriti A-
Soci 101 Introduction to sociolo C
Political Science 101 B
Spanish 101 C

Current ACE, CLEP, or NCCRS Credits: NONE
I do not consider myself much of a test taker which is why I always stayed away from programs such as Clep. 

Tuition assistance/reimbursement: The job I currently work for has tuition discounts at National University, however they are still very expensive. 

Any certifications or military experience? NONE 

Commitments: I work a full-time job but other than that I have no other commitments. 

Dedicated time to study: I can study as much as is needed during the night or on weekends as long as my schedule is free

Timeline: I would like to Finish the courses required for the degree as fast as possible. Ultimately my goal is to go to graduate school so I can become a LMFT, so I am trying to complete this as quickly as I can because that is a long road ahead.
@superman7136 - Oh, that's great news. I would invest in a second monitor and work on lower level credits from Sophia.org then ladder up to the BLS at UMPI.  You can go for the UMPI BLS with Education Minor then ladder up to a Walden MS Psychology right after.  

You can then decide to go for another Masters that's approved for MFT licensure OR a PhD program, they're listed on the webpage for your state here: https://bbs.ca.gov/applicants/lmft.html and here's a wiki page for you to review: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cr...psychology

• superman7136
(09-01-2022, 02:57 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: @superman7136 - Oh, that's great news. I would invest in a second monitor and work on lower level credits from Sophia.org then ladder up to the BLS at UMPI.  You can go for the UMPI BLS with Education Minor then ladder up to a Walden MS Psychology right after.  

You can then decide to go for another Masters that's approved for MFT licensure OR a PhD program, they're listed on the webpage for your state here: https://bbs.ca.gov/applicants/lmft.html and here's a wiki page for you to review: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cr...psychology

Why are you recommending a MS in Psychology?
Ongoing: MLIS

June 2022, Thomas Edison State University (TESU): Second degree - BA in Computer Science + ASNSM in Mathematics + Cert. in CIS + Cert. in Operations Mgmt.
e-Packs: Computer Concepts; Industrial Psych.
Guided Study: Comp. Architecture
Online: Intro. to PLA; Database Mgmt.; Software Eng.; Data Structures; Liberal Arts Capstone; DSI-610 (Statistics.com)

May 2019, a residential, RA institution: BA in Political Science and Educational Studies
Relevant equivalencies: MAT-321; MAT-431; STA-315
[-] The following 1 user Likes carrythenothing's post:
  • superman7136
MS Psychology is a "backup plan" in case after the BLS with minor is done and the OP changes their mind for further studies in LMFT. Further to that, having a Psychology background may help and it would be better than going back for a BA Psychology degree. It all depends on what the OP needs/wants, if they decide to go a different route, that would work as well...

• superman7136

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New considering UMPI but…. manyoptions4me 48 4,472 Yesterday, 03:23 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Am I on the right path for any BLS degree rme1987 11 298 03-27-2024, 07:57 PM
Last Post: Hotdogman1
  choosing between UMPI BBA in management&leadership vs project management whereismyramen 6 179 03-26-2024, 04:13 PM
  What is considered FT at UMPI YourPace for the Pell Grant? RachelB 3 171 03-26-2024, 05:50 AM
  Help with UMPI admissions requirement Throwmeaway1590 2 223 03-25-2024, 08:24 PM
  Transfer and see what transfers, BEFORE starting the degree? ecdw94 8 372 03-24-2024, 01:27 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Sophia's Human biology and lab did not meet UMPi's BIO 105 HappyPeanut 9 856 03-22-2024, 07:53 PM
Last Post: lifted567
  UMPI BLS Minor Business theea 5 272 03-20-2024, 02:41 PM
  UMPI Class Review Master Thread RbxFunRocks 95 56,496 03-20-2024, 03:37 AM
Last Post: theea
  HELP! SDC to UMPI transfer jrock87 3 202 03-16-2024, 12:14 AM
Last Post: jrock87