Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
UMPI Yourpace computer requirements?
(10-05-2022, 08:24 AM)rachel83az Wrote: If you had a Windows tablet, they probably wouldn't be able to tell. But the Samsung Tab 8 runs Android. Android is very good, but the browsers don't always have the features necessary to do things like exams.

Strut performs best on the Chrome browser. That's the one we were told to use. This would need to be installed and functional on a tablet. I do believe the instructions say you need to be on a computer though. i know Chromebooks don't work for the exam. Again this all may change in January with moving to Brightspace.
(10-05-2022, 08:59 AM)ss20ts Wrote:
(10-05-2022, 08:24 AM)rachel83az Wrote: If you had a Windows tablet, they probably wouldn't be able to tell. But the Samsung Tab 8 runs Android. Android is very good, but the browsers don't always have the features necessary to do things like exams.

Strut performs best on the Chrome browser. That's the one we were told to use. This would need to be installed and functional on a tablet. I do believe the instructions say you need to be on a computer though. i know Chromebooks don't work for the exam. Again this all may change in January with moving to Brightspace.

I've run brightspace on my Android before (and used Pulse on my phone, thats the message board and calendar for BrightSpace), I did need to do the proctored exam on my HP windows tablet at the time (before moving to the convertable Dell). I did not use the tablet functions during the exam though (pen, touch, etc.). I don't use the tablet functions on the Tab during school work as I have a keyboard and mouse using DEX.

Chromebooks aren't Windows, not even close. So, I'm not surprised that UMPI won't support them. A Chromebook is more similar to an Android tablet than to a Windows computer.

A Windows tablet is a real Windows computer in a smaller form factor than a laptop. You can get a case that has a Bluetooth keyboard and bring along a Bluetooth mouse. With Win10, there is essentially no difference between a tablet and a laptop, as far as OS is concerned. You can run the whole Office suite on them, though it might not run well, depending on how much RAM your tablet has. Some are beefier than others.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(10-05-2022, 09:33 AM)uncoolbilly Wrote: I've run brightspace on my Android before (and used Pulse on my phone, thats the message board and calendar for BrightSpace), I did need to do the proctored exam on my HP windows tablet at the time (before moving to the convertable Dell). I did not use the tablet functions during the exam though (pen, touch, etc.). I don't use the tablet functions on the Tab during school work as I have a keyboard and mouse using DEX.

You have multiple devices that are portable, continue to have them with you just in case you need the HP Windows Tablet. For Study.com, it runs an application when you do your exams, so it would require the HP Tablet anyways, since you will have it with you, use it for any UMPI exams as well. Don't dwell on what to bring, both are easily available to you if you bring them both with you in a carry on backpack when you travel.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(10-05-2022, 09:35 AM)rachel83az Wrote:

Chromebooks aren't Windows, not even close. So, I'm not surprised that UMPI won't support them. A Chromebook is more similar to an Android tablet than to a Windows computer.

A Windows tablet is a real Windows computer in a smaller form factor than a laptop. You can get a case that has a Bluetooth keyboard and bring along a Bluetooth mouse. With Win10, there is essentially no difference between a tablet and a laptop, as far as OS is concerned. You can run the whole Office suite on them, though it might not run well, depending on how much RAM your tablet has. Some are beefier than others.

I didn't say Chromebooks were Windows.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sophia Scores and Transferring to UMPI colonelcamp 5 65 1 hour ago
Last Post: colonelcamp
  Inquiry Regarding Equivalent Classes for Remaining UMPI Requirements hicham78h 4 185 Yesterday, 01:00 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Should I contact UMPI now or wait until I finish my GEC with Sophia then contact them JusW 3 116 04-22-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: JusW
  UMPI YourPace BLS w/ Management Minor Reference Plan valentvne 6 247 04-21-2024, 10:23 PM
  Residency Requirements FM1 13 592 04-21-2024, 08:11 PM
Last Post: davewill
  minimum age for UMPI students YourPace EducationSeeker 6 263 04-20-2024, 05:19 PM
Last Post: EducationSeeker
  Math GECs Sophia/UMPI colonelcamp 2 128 04-19-2024, 06:47 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  need advice on YourPace BBA Project Mgmt and Info Systems EducationSeeker 4 162 04-19-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Framed UMPI Diploma joshua27 31 6,504 04-19-2024, 03:01 PM
  New considering UMPI but…. manyoptions4me 55 5,434 04-16-2024, 01:26 PM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley