Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4 Average
UMPI
(09-18-2020, 11:47 AM)ss20ts Wrote:
(09-18-2020, 08:24 AM)Teacherwannabe19 Wrote:
(09-17-2020, 11:15 AM)ss20ts Wrote:
(09-17-2020, 10:43 AM)a4tunatemom Wrote:
(09-16-2020, 09:19 PM)ss20ts Wrote: I have submitted my first paper to UMPI. Something nice they do is allow you to submit the paper as a draft and get feedback on it. Then you make your revisions and submit the final paper. Your entire grade for the course is based on this paper. If you fail the paper, you fail the course. If you get a 95, then you get an A in the course. So it's nice they give you feedback and let you know if you're on the right path and what you need to improve upon. I'll report back after my draft comes back. I'm working on my second class and 2 Sophia classes at the same time. Can't wait to finish English Comp II and Stats at Sophia so I can just focus on UMPI.

Will you please let me know how long the papers are expected to be?

The paper length varies by class. Every class has a very different final assessment. So far the lengths for my classes are 11-16 pages and 15-20 pages. I have another class with a project as the final assessment. The project consists of a 2 page executive summary, an ERD model, an Access database, a series of SQL queries, and reports. This is the only paper you write for the entire class. Your final grade is the grade you receive on the final assessment. There aren't many classes which have a final exam. You must receive an 80 or higher on the final assessment to pass the class. If you fail an exam, you can take it over, but I think you need to talk to your advisor or coach first. I'm not sure what happens if you fail the paper/project since you get to submit it as a rough draft first.

What courses are you taking right now at UMPI? I start October 26th BLS in Educational Studies. Trying to figure out what UL courses to take.

I am finishing up BUS200 Intermediate Business Computing and working on BUS141 Introduction to Project Management with Microsoft Project and BUS345 Database Management Systems.

Thanks! I saw you've taken visual communications, did that transfer into UMPI  as part of a GEN ED? I'm hoping it does!!!
(09-24-2020, 01:19 PM)Teacherwannabe19 Wrote:
(09-18-2020, 11:47 AM)ss20ts Wrote:
(09-18-2020, 08:24 AM)Teacherwannabe19 Wrote:
(09-17-2020, 11:15 AM)ss20ts Wrote:
(09-17-2020, 10:43 AM)a4tunatemom Wrote: Will you please let me know how long the papers are expected to be?

The paper length varies by class. Every class has a very different final assessment. So far the lengths for my classes are 11-16 pages and 15-20 pages. I have another class with a project as the final assessment. The project consists of a 2 page executive summary, an ERD model, an Access database, a series of SQL queries, and reports. This is the only paper you write for the entire class. Your final grade is the grade you receive on the final assessment. There aren't many classes which have a final exam. You must receive an 80 or higher on the final assessment to pass the class. If you fail an exam, you can take it over, but I think you need to talk to your advisor or coach first. I'm not sure what happens if you fail the paper/project since you get to submit it as a rough draft first.

What courses are you taking right now at UMPI? I start October 26th BLS in Educational Studies. Trying to figure out what UL courses to take.

I am finishing up BUS200 Intermediate Business Computing and working on BUS141 Introduction to Project Management with Microsoft Project and BUS345 Database Management Systems.

Thanks! I saw you've taken visual communications, did that transfer into UMPI  as part of a GEN ED? I'm hoping it does!!!

Visual Communications transferred in as COM1XX as a GEN ED.

Environmental Science transferred in as ENV100 as a GEN ED - GL03, LOD.

College Algebra transferred in as MAT117 as a GEN ED - GL03, LOA, B.

Those are all that I have transferred in from Sophia so far.
(09-13-2020, 10:39 PM)Stoic Wrote: No one, absolutely no one will give a flying you know what about your degree if you're already working and have some experience. They don't care if it's a BLS or BA, or BS etc. As a matter fact most companies will not even verify if you actually have one or not.
This part is so not true. Most companies will verify. With the onset of HR and Payroll 3rd party application systems, they make it very easy and cheap for companies to add this background/education verification search as part of their overall package of services. 

In fact many companies, depending on the level and job role, are adding credit checks as part of their pre-employment background checks.

Hey ss20ts, 
Do you plan to work on a Master's when you complete UMPI? I was giving them strong consideration, along with NAU, but the grad schools I spoke with (which I have narrowed down to 3), two recommended to not go the CBE route, the 3rd claims to have a student in their grad program who received their Bachelor's from WGU.
(09-27-2020, 11:10 AM)AZDan Wrote:
(09-13-2020, 10:39 PM)Stoic Wrote: No one, absolutely no one will give a flying you know what about your degree if you're already working and have some experience. They don't care if it's a BLS or BA, or BS etc. As a matter fact most companies will not even verify if you actually have one or not.
This part is so not true. Most companies will verify. With the onset of HR and Payroll 3rd party application systems, they make it very easy and cheap for companies to add this background/education verification search as part of their overall package of services. 

In fact many companies, depending on the level and job role, are adding credit checks as part of their pre-employment background checks.

Hey ss20ts, 
Do you plan to work on a Master's when you complete UMPI? I was giving them strong consideration, along with NAU, but the grad schools I spoke with (which I have narrowed down to 3), two recommended to not go the CBE route, the 3rd claims to have a student in their grad program who received their Bachelor's from WGU.

Yes, I will be going on to grad school next year. I have spoken with a few and none have an issue with a CBE program. The college here is thrilled with a BLS from the University of Maine. I live in NY so not totally out of the region. They didn't ask about what type of program it is. I asked about it being CBE and they're not concerned. That's Keuka College. I am also looking at WGU and SNHU. I will be going for 2 master's degrees. I will probably go to WGU for a master's first so I can get it done in 6 months. Then I will be moving on to a second master's degree in my specialization. I will go back to work after I finish the MS in Management which I will do first. Planning on WGU for this. Then I want a MS in Project Management to work on while I'm working again. I'm looking for an actual MS in Project Management not an MBA with a Project Management concentration. In my brief search, SNHU is the only online MS in Project Management I have found. I haven't done a ton of research yet though.
I suppose my challenge is that I want to go to grad school at a traditional B&M school, online of course. I'm sure getting a Master's from another CBE type after your undergrad from a CBE program wouldn't be much of a problem. But I'm having trouble finding B&M grad schools willing to take CBE undergrad degrees.
(09-27-2020, 02:04 PM)AZDan Wrote: I suppose my challenge is that I want to go to grad school at a traditional B&M school, online of course. I'm sure getting a Master's from another CBE type after your undergrad from a CBE program wouldn't be much of a problem. But I'm having trouble finding B&M grad schools willing to take CBE undergrad degrees.

Keuka College and SNHU are both B&M schools. I'm not having the same trouble as you. May be different depending on major.
Update on UMPI....

There's 2 weeks left in the term. Tuesday - tomorrow - is the last day to add courses for this term. Friday is the deadline to submit rough drafts of the final assessment for all classes in this term. We still have an additional week for feedback, changes, and to submit the final version. We also have until next Friday to finish any courses which have a final exam as the final assessment.

One nice thing is that the term ends on a Friday and the next term doesn't begin until Monday so we get an entire weekend school free! Kind of nice.

I have received one rough draft back. It took awhile to get it back, but this is not an online school. This is a B&M school with a bonus online/CBE program so the professors have courses they're teaching. It's also a very small school - about 1100 students this term - so they don't have the staff that the larger schools have. Many staff work at multiple campuses.

The rough draft I received back had excellent comments from the professor. I wasn't required to make any changes and was told to resubmit as is for my final. I received all 4's on the rubric. I don't know the grade yet. Grades are posted a week after the term ends.

Overall, I like the format. It's not crazy difficult, but I have some background in most of the courses I have taken this term. The corses are all self contained. It's nice not having to buy/rent ridiculously priced textbooks.

We don't have a digital library so your research comes from the internet and they're not uber picky about citing from scholarly journals. They use APA formatting like most other schools. I am enjoying it so much that I have added a second minor. I'm now earning a BLS with a minor in Management Information Systems and Project Management. The minors are only 6 classes. I needed to take a minimum of 10 courses at UMPI and this will give me the courses I needed. I transferred in a ton of credit. I am still working on Sophia courses as well. I will have several more transfer in for my gen ed requirements. I will also take 2 courses from our host - InstantCert - and hope they transfer in. I will take American Government and Spanish 1 for my gen ed reqs. American Government is offered at UMPI, but the final assessment is a paper. InstantCert sounds much faster and easier! UMPI offers French 1 and I'd rather take Spanish. UMPI's French course has a final exam with both oral and written parts. InstantCert doesn't have an oral final exam so I am hoping this one will transfer in. Crossing my fingers!
[-] The following 2 users Like ss20ts's post:
  • beto, openair
Thanks for sharing this stuff! Are the Spanish & French language courses required under liberal studies general education requirements at UMPI? Could you take non-language courses instead? Do you actually have a list of the gen ed requirements?
(10-12-2020, 05:00 PM)openair Wrote: Thanks for sharing this stuff! Are the Spanish & French language courses required under liberal studies general education requirements at UMPI? Could you take non-language courses instead? Do you actually have a list of the gen ed requirements?

All bachelor's degree students at UMPI are required to have 3 credits in a language as part of the gen eds. They accept pretty much any language including sign language. 

This page lists out all of the gen eds reqs and what each objective requires. 

http://catalog.umpi.edu/content.php?cato...curriculum

This link is a list of all of the degrees they offer and the sheet which shows what specific gen eds and courses are required for each degree. Most degrees are not offered online. 

https://www.umpi.edu/files/academics/pro...2019-2020/

This link shows what's needed for the BLS. There are I think 5 options for a minor. I have 2 minors.

https://www.umpi.edu/files/academics/pro...es_BLS.pdf

This is for the entire course catalog. 

http://catalog.umpi.edu/
[-] The following 2 users Like ss20ts's post:
  • alab21, openair
I start at umpi on the 26th! I'm so excited! It's awesome this program exists.

I seriously cannot wait! Lol
[-] The following 2 users Like missbootyfull's post:
  • alab21, ss20ts

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New considering UMPI but…. manyoptions4me 48 4,477 Yesterday, 03:23 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  choosing between UMPI BBA in management&leadership vs project management whereismyramen 6 179 03-26-2024, 04:13 PM
  What is considered FT at UMPI YourPace for the Pell Grant? RachelB 3 171 03-26-2024, 05:50 AM
  Help with UMPI admissions requirement Throwmeaway1590 2 223 03-25-2024, 08:24 PM
  Sophia's Human biology and lab did not meet UMPi's BIO 105 HappyPeanut 9 856 03-22-2024, 07:53 PM
Last Post: lifted567
  UMPI BLS Minor Business theea 5 272 03-20-2024, 02:41 PM
  UMPI Class Review Master Thread RbxFunRocks 95 56,505 03-20-2024, 03:37 AM
Last Post: theea
  HELP! SDC to UMPI transfer jrock87 3 202 03-16-2024, 12:14 AM
Last Post: jrock87
  UL Courses Outside of UMPI - Fast CCCollege 7 945 03-11-2024, 10:46 AM
  AI in UMPI him22 16 1,256 03-09-2024, 04:41 PM
Last Post: Ares