Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4 Average
UMPI
(04-20-2021, 05:14 PM)ashkir Wrote:
(04-20-2021, 01:53 PM)rachel83az Wrote:
(04-20-2021, 01:43 PM)asianphd Wrote: I read very good news that UMPI gonna offer a CS degree!
Also, just want to make sure that UMPI accepts credits from Sophia https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/UM...quivalents
and how is the grading from Sophia will appear on the UMPI transcript? Anyone can post how it will look like?

UMPI definitely accepts Sophia. If you send in your transcript via Parchment (instead of Credly), it includes your grade. https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...#pid323323

It is also important to note that the grade will not effect your GPA at UMPI and your official UMPI Transcript will state "T" versus a grade on the official degree GPA/Transcript.

My UMPI transcripts include the numeric grades from Sophia. The only grades included in my UMPI GPA were the 48 credits I completed at UMPI.

(04-21-2021, 08:21 AM)ashkir Wrote: Yeah. They're super ACE friendly. They're also very generous. If it has an ACE recommendation, UMPI will accept it at face value at the very least. 

All of the Sophia 1 credit courses transferred in as 3 credit courses for me!

My 1 credit Sophia courses transferred in as 1 credit not 3 credits. I did have a 1 credit and a 2 credit class that I transferred from another school that fulfilled 2 different GEC requirements. They still only gave me 1 or 2 credits - whatever the course was when I took it.

(05-07-2021, 05:57 AM)aleksa Wrote: Can you please show me how a UMPI transcript with Sophia courses (sent with Parchment) looks like? I'm considering if sending through Parchment or Credly would be more beneficial for me. From what I understood so far if you send through Credly you only get a Pass and ONLY the end date of a course appears. On the other hand, if you send through Parchment you get a letter grade, but BOTH start and end dates appear. That might look bad, completing a course in a day or two. Is this correct?

One more question. I want to pursue a BS in Computer Science at UMPI which isn't yet available. Should I apply for a different BS to get my Sophia courses transferred before they might change something? Can I switch to BSCS (when they start offering it) with credits already evaluated, or would I have to apply again? How long can I wait after being admitted before having to enroll in a semester?

I sent my transcripts for Sophia through Parchment. Credly wasn't a thing then. My transcripts show my numeric grades from Sophia. Transcripts at UMPI do not include any dates of the courses except the semester you completed the UMPI course. My official transcripts upon graduation just show the credits listed under each school/source. You don't get a letter grade on Parchment. Parchment sends the numeric grade from Sophia on the transcript. 

The computer science degree isn't going to be starting on YourPace soon. It's still a work in progress. The on campus program just began in January. When you apply to UMPI you're accepted pretty quickly and pretty much enrolled in the next term. You can defer the enrollment, but you won't be able to defer for years. We also don't know what courses will be required for the YourPace degree yet. The program can change between the campus and YourPace version.
Thank you both for your replies. It seems that Parchment wouldn't make a difference for me. I would probably go with Credly (plus it's free). I was hoping they release BSCS this year while I'm working on my Gen Eds at Sophia and CS stuff at SDC. I will follow ashkir's advice and work on my TESU BACS while waiting to see when UMPI might release their program. Wish you both a great day Smile
Pretty much everything that will work at TESU would work at UMPI. The biggest difference is that UMPI wants a foreign language + science with a lab. Also, TESU accepts Study.com's "Presentation Skills in the Workplace" for the Oral Communication requirement and UMPI might not. If you do Sophia's Public Speaking, you'll be good for both schools.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
Thank you Rachel. I would probably do French 1 with CLEP if I go for UMPI. Good suggestion on Public Speaking, appreciated. I wonder if I could do science with a lab by using TEL and transcribing it at McMurry. It seems that McMurry is only TEL partner where you don't have to buy lab. I might save $67 this way while working on my 24 RA credits requirement. Has anyone tried this?
McMurray is a new partner so I don't think anyone has done this. You might want to contact TEL to confirm that we're not confused about the wording. But that should work for both UMPI and TESU.

Another possibility that might be even cheaper is ONU's Biology. It is a biology with a lab but it's only 3 credits instead of 4. I don't think anyone has tried to transfer this Olivet course to UMPI yet, however, so I can't guarantee that this would work.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Thank you great suggestions, I will have to consider them Smile
Im so glad for UMPI. I feel like I am actually learning and its perfect for a person like me. I struggle with depression so some weeks I feel like I cannot do any school work and on others I get work done. I love not having weekly deadlines and being able to do projects and essays instead a lot of the time. And the exam I took wasn't bad either. UMPI is my favorite school I've attended. I just felt like saying I love this school lol
[-] The following 3 users Like missbootyfull's post:
  • Novo, rachel83az, ss20ts
(05-07-2021, 01:13 PM)aleksa Wrote: Thank you Rachel. I would probably do French 1 with CLEP if I go for UMPI. Good suggestion on Public Speaking, appreciated. I wonder if I could do science with a lab by using TEL and transcribing it at McMurry. It seems that McMurry is only TEL partner where you don't have to buy lab. I might save $67 this way while working on my 24 RA credits requirement. Has anyone tried this?

MACU also does not require a lab as part of the science course - I've purchased Biology w/o the lab.

But, if you're hoping to go to UMPI, then there's no sense getting a lab science w/o the lab.

You can also do either Chem w/Lab or Bio w/lab at Study.com, for an extra $50 for the virtual lab.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(05-07-2021, 03:11 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(05-07-2021, 01:13 PM)aleksa Wrote: Thank you Rachel. I would probably do French 1 with CLEP if I go for UMPI. Good suggestion on Public Speaking, appreciated. I wonder if I could do science with a lab by using TEL and transcribing it at McMurry. It seems that McMurry is only TEL partner where you don't have to buy lab. I might save $67 this way while working on my 24 RA credits requirement. Has anyone tried this?

MACU also does not require a lab as part of the science course - I've purchased Biology w/o the lab.

But, if you're hoping to go to UMPI, then there's no sense getting a lab science w/o the lab.

You can also do either Chem w/Lab or Bio w/lab at Study.com, for an extra $50 for the virtual lab.

McMurray says that the lab is included in the course. I.E., it looks like you purchase the course and get the lab free. This is different than MACU where you can get the course for $200 or the course + lab for $267.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
For UMPI, InstantCert's Spanish 1 transfers in no problem. For the science with lab requirement, Study.com's Biology 107L Intro to Biology with Lab transfers in. You really do have to watch how many credits you have to fulfill the GEC as many classes overlap to fulfill more than 1 GEC requirement. I heard several times from my advisor and the registrar that the science with lab needed to be 4 credits. I completed mine at a community college years ago and had to ask for it to be reviewed.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Inquiry Regarding Equivalent Classes for Remaining UMPI Requirements hicham78h 5 225 Yesterday, 12:53 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Math GECs Sophia/UMPI colonelcamp 3 157 Yesterday, 10:07 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Sophia Scores and Transferring to UMPI colonelcamp 5 133 Yesterday, 12:35 AM
Last Post: colonelcamp
  Should I contact UMPI now or wait until I finish my GEC with Sophia then contact them JusW 3 139 04-22-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: JusW
  UMPI YourPace BLS w/ Management Minor Reference Plan valentvne 6 274 04-21-2024, 10:23 PM
  minimum age for UMPI students YourPace EducationSeeker 6 269 04-20-2024, 05:19 PM
Last Post: EducationSeeker
  Framed UMPI Diploma joshua27 31 6,529 04-19-2024, 03:01 PM
  New considering UMPI but…. manyoptions4me 55 5,448 04-16-2024, 01:26 PM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  UMPI BLS MISM VS Pierport then UMPI BAS k681 11 481 04-16-2024, 09:15 AM
Last Post: Hotdogman1
  Are TEEX courses eligible for credits at UMPI? soulking 7 354 04-16-2024, 12:44 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77