Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Free Outlier.org Course for Frontline Workers
Outlier.org - Frontline Workers Scholarship

Outlier.org is offering a scholarship for one free course for the first 1,000 eligible frontline workers. 

For the purposes of this scholarship, they define “frontline workers” as employees within essential industries who are obligated to physically show up to their jobs. Frontline workers include, but are not limited to:
- Healthcare workers
- Cashiers in grocery and general merchandise stores
- Janitors and maintenance workers
- Agricultural workers
- Childcare workers
- Transportation workers (e.g. buses, taxi, Uber, Lyft, subway, etc.)
- Mailing and shipping service workers
- Educators
- Protective service workers (police and EMTs)
- Social welfare service workers (e.g. housing shelters, food banks, etc.)
- Restaurants and food delivery workers
[-] The following 3 users Like williamsle's post:
  • nomaduser, skovbakken, unfilteredsoul
I applied for this on Friday. It requires a one minute video. I talked about how I am a teacher and spent 12 uninterrupted weeks teaching in person at my school and how much fun I was having. I told them that I intend to use this for PD hours and to extend the subject areas on my teaching certificate.

They sent me the scholarship code on Saturday and then I got a call from school informing me that I am now quarantined because a student in one of my classes tested positive. So I think I earned the code. Smile

Here is the text from the award email:

Redemption Instructions

Step 1:
Visit our website to enroll in the course of your choice. We currently offer Calculus I, Psychology, Astronomy, and Statistics. We will be launching additional courses in the next two years; while we can't announce specific courses yet, we're working on creating courses that fulfill common graduation requirements that count towards popular majors across STEM and liberal arts programs. The scholarship may be used on any Outlier course launched before November 19th, 2022.

Step 2:
When you get to the checkout page, paste in your free course voucher code into the "Voucher Code" box. When applying your voucher code, you may only check out with one Outlier course. If you wish to sign up for additional Outlier courses, you must purchase those courses in a separate order.

Your course voucher code will expire on November 19th, 2022, at 11:59 PST.
[-] The following 1 user Likes eriehiker's post:
  • nomaduser
(11-22-2020, 09:48 PM)eriehiker Wrote: I applied for this on Friday.  It requires a one minute video.  I talked about how I am a teacher and spent 12 uninterrupted weeks teaching in person at my school and how much fun I was having.  I told them that I intend to use this for PD hours and to extend the subject areas on my teaching certificate.

They sent me the scholarship code on Saturday and then I got a call from school informing me that I am now quarantined because a student in one of my classes tested positive.  So I think I earned the code.  Smile

Here is the text from the award email:

Redemption Instructions

Step 1:
Visit our website to enroll in the course of your choice. We currently offer Calculus I, Psychology, Astronomy, and Statistics. We will be launching additional courses in the next two years; while we can't announce specific courses yet, we're working on creating courses that fulfill common graduation requirements that count towards popular majors across STEM and liberal arts programs. The scholarship may be used on any Outlier course launched before November 19th, 2022.

Step 2:
When you get to the checkout page, paste in your free course voucher code into the "Voucher Code" box. When applying your voucher code, you may only check out with one Outlier course. If you wish to sign up for additional Outlier courses, you must purchase those courses in a separate order.

Your course voucher code will expire on November 19th, 2022, at 11:59 PST.

I was recently accepted as well. What course were you planning to take?
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
(11-25-2020, 09:14 PM)MNomadic Wrote: I was recently accepted as well. What course were you planning to take?

I am going to wait until some other classes are announced.  The beautiful thing about this voucher is that you can wait until 2022.  They seem to be working on a lot of classes and I think that the best strategy is to wait for something unusual at a time when there aren't so many other opportunities.
[-] The following 1 user Likes eriehiker's post:
  • nomaduser
(11-25-2020, 09:17 PM)eriehiker Wrote:
(11-25-2020, 09:14 PM)MNomadic Wrote: I was recently accepted as well. What course were you planning to take?

I am going to wait until some other classes are announced.  The beautiful thing about this voucher is that you can wait until 2022.  They seem to be working on a lot of classes and I think that the best strategy is to wait for something unusual at a time when there aren't so many other opportunities.
Makes sense. I'm waiting as well. Whatever I pick will most likely be something to strengthen my application for grad schools.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
Too bad I don't work in front line jobs.... so I won't be qualified for their 100% tuition discount Sad

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Non-credit Fintech certificate, free, U South Florida freeloader 2 138 04-19-2024, 08:08 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Free cybersecurity training course, entry level cert, and candidate status through is MNomadic 20 4,177 04-19-2024, 01:06 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  Free Coursera for Californians ashkir 8 3,005 04-17-2024, 09:49 PM
  Free CUNY 1-credit course - “Bridges to Health Careers/Emerging Trend in Healthcare” ctcarl 9 2,237 02-27-2024, 05:20 PM
Last Post: jch
  University of South Carolina - Free Certificates in Hospitality Management Maniac Craniac 5 1,552 02-15-2024, 12:56 AM
Last Post: BadSquirrelBeta
  Resource: spreadsheet of free courses from Ivy League universities NatsNerd 3 677 02-09-2024, 06:05 PM
Last Post: NatsNerd
  Rutgers - Free Certificate in Leadership & No-Blame Problem Solving Maniac Craniac 5 1,815 02-05-2024, 05:08 AM
Last Post: Ares
  Free Community Health Worker certificate at Berkeley City College staceydiane 12 2,134 02-01-2024, 02:16 PM
Last Post: staceydiane
  Free Certificate in Public Health Practice (w/6 course completion certs) Maniac Craniac 10 1,863 01-30-2024, 05:42 AM
Last Post: MFG
  HP & EdX - FREE Professional Certificate in Esports Mgmt, Game Design & Programming Maniac Craniac 11 1,251 01-22-2024, 07:00 PM