Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
UMemphis Free Course: Adulting 101
The University of Memphis Global is offering a free course called Adulting 101:

https://www.memphis.edu/uofmglobal/adulting101.php

Students enrolled at the University of Memphis or planning to enroll can earn 3 credit hours for $225 upon course completion and passage of an exam.  So, I guess not really free.
seems interesting. Idk if it will actually count as credit. Might be good for high school senior or even college freshamn.
with a name like that it ought to be free
Study.com - 177 CR. TESU - 39 CR. Middle Georgia State University - 15 CR. Sonoran Desert Institute - 42 CR. COSC - 6 CR. Excelsior - 6 CR. CLEP - 6 CR. Sophia - 14 CR. TEEX - 2 CR. Shmoop - 18 CR. NFA - 4 CR. The Institutes - 2 CR. FEMA - 20ish

BA in History/English from TESU. 
BA in Communications from TESU. AS in Firearms Technology from SDI.

[-] The following 2 users Like jsh1138's post:
  • ARhead, nomaduser
It's free but you don't get credit unless you are going to their university.
Fun to read how the title changes from the free (audit) to the paid version that enrolled students take. The paid (and therefore credit) version of course gets the title MRCH 4300 Family Resource Management. Course lists as "Investigates values, goals, and human and material resources necessary for individuals and families to make informed management decisions throughout the life span"
A similar version of the credit course is part of the TN statewide ecampus offerings with syllabus sample shown here https://tnecampus.org/courses/380/syllabus
Hoping a family member (high school age) gleans from the free version.
TESU: BALS June 2021 (comm college, clep, sdc sophia coopersmith, SOS110, and capstone)

I wouldn't count on it being easy to become credit. I took their two other free courses, which they claimed would transfer to credit upon completion. They gave me instructions on where to send the certificate of completion to ask for credit upon being accepted into a degree program. I received no certificate of completion and they've stopped answering my emails asking about how to obtain it. Nobody seems to know.
(09-17-2020, 01:26 PM)jsh1138 Wrote: with a name like that it ought to be free

No, adults pay for things. That should be the first lesson.
63 CLEP Sociology
75 CLEP U.S. History II
63 CLEP College Algebra
70 CLEP Analyzing and Interpreting Literature
68 DSST Technical Writing
72 CLEP U.S. History I
77 CLEP College Mathematics
470 DSST Statistics
53 CLEP College Composition
73 CLEP Biology
54 CLEP Chemistry
77 CLEP Information Systems and Computer Applications
[-] The following 1 user Likes clep3705's post:
  • ss20ts
The high school age family member did enroll in the course without trying for credit. Sadly, the professor was not able to get all of the lessons done before the end of the term. Not really sure what happened, but it is the semester of covid, and Memphis was hit hard. The first 10 lessons were plenty for that high school personal finance requirement (in TN high schools) in case that helps any of the homeschooling parents on this forum who need to do that kind of course and if it gets offers again. yes, it needs a better title for the course.
TESU: BALS June 2021 (comm college, clep, sdc sophia coopersmith, SOS110, and capstone)

(12-05-2020, 07:48 AM)P226mem Wrote: Sadly, the professor was not able to get all of the lessons done before the end of the term.

Adulting 101, Lesson 1: Sometimes, You Won't Get Stuff Done Before The Deadline

In all seriousness, understanding how often things just don't go to plan no matter how hard you try, is actually a good lesson to learn.

Also hoping it gets offered again - this past autumn was a bit too crazy for me time-wise to take on yet another course.
https://www.memphis.edu/uofmglobal/degre...geprep.php

This is the current free course: College Prep.

As Ray Cathode mentioned, these courses are of limited value in terms of credit. This current one is worth three credits at $75 per credit. However, it is really meant as a teaser to enter the program. Whether a person could get these credits onto a transcript without taking additional courses is questionable. At $75 per credit hour, and given the mostly very general topics, the ROI is just not there.

That said, I think that these classes are probably perfect for many students fresh out of high school and/or people who have no experience with college and want to test it out for free from a reputable university. Of course, that is the target audience, so applause to U of Memphis for creating these things.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Free CUNY 1-credit course - “Bridges to Health Careers/Emerging Trend in Healthcare” ctcarl 9 2,083 02-27-2024, 05:20 PM
Last Post: jch
  University of South Carolina - Free Certificates in Hospitality Management Maniac Craniac 5 1,422 02-15-2024, 12:56 AM
Last Post: BadSquirrelBeta
  Resource: spreadsheet of free courses from Ivy League universities NatsNerd 3 583 02-09-2024, 06:05 PM
Last Post: NatsNerd
  Rutgers - Free Certificate in Leadership & No-Blame Problem Solving Maniac Craniac 5 1,709 02-05-2024, 05:08 AM
Last Post: Ares
  Free Community Health Worker certificate at Berkeley City College staceydiane 12 2,021 02-01-2024, 02:16 PM
Last Post: staceydiane
  Free Certificate in Public Health Practice (w/6 course completion certs) Maniac Craniac 10 1,695 01-30-2024, 05:42 AM
Last Post: MFG
  HP & EdX - FREE Professional Certificate in Esports Mgmt, Game Design & Programming Maniac Craniac 11 1,118 01-22-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Free Coding Certificate + Stipend TINASAM 0 496 01-14-2024, 09:05 AM
Last Post: TINASAM
  ASU Sustainable Earth Business Sustainability Courses, Free Online Jonathan Whatley 3 610 12-26-2023, 04:45 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Gav 4 Free (Gavilan College) MissRN 14 4,752 09-18-2023, 09:13 PM
Last Post: Randyb100