Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
US History 1/2 - SDC vs Sophia
I plan to use a Sophia coupon for US History 1 and 2 (among other courses). However, although I like Sophia, I'm wondering if maybe the SDC courses would have more videos/content or something. I like Sophia and haven't yet used SDC, but would I be missing out on anything by not using SDC?

Thanks.
Working towards:
  • BS Entrepreneurship @ Franklin U or BA Human Relations & Business @ Amberton U
Exams/Courses Taken (99 Credits)
  • CLEP (36) - English Comp, Natural Science, College Math, Principles of Mgmt, Intro Marketing, Intro Sociology, Analyzing & Interpreting Lit, Intro to Educational Psychology, Human Growth & Dev 
  • DSST (12) - Principles of Supervision, Intro to Business, Human Resources Mgmt, Organizational Behavior
  • Sophia Learning (51) - Developing Effective Teams, Student Success, Essentials of Managing Conflict, Conflict Resolution, Intro to Ethics, Visual Communication, Intro to Psychology, Public Speaking, Intro to Info Tech, Accounting, Statistics, Algebra, Macroeconomics, Microeconomics, Communication at Work, Principles of Finance, Business Law, US History 1&2
  • Study.com - Coming soon...
(11-01-2019, 03:15 PM)SCYankee Wrote: I plan to use a Sophia coupon for US History 1 and 2 (among other courses). However, although I like Sophia, I'm wondering if maybe the SDC courses would have more videos/content or something. I like Sophia and haven't yet used SDC, but would I be missing out on anything by not using SDC?

Thanks.

Of course opinions vary but we took SDC US History 1 and my boys loved it.  Said it's their fave class so far.  They have also taken 12 credits at Sophia and they like it too but prefer the entertaining videos at Study.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Homeschool College Guidance Counselor Mom to twin 18 yo boys

CsmLearn
Study: US History, Pres Skills, Enviro Sci, Ethics America, Intro CJ, Meteorology, Forensic Sci, Criminology
Sophia: Psych, Visual Comms, Sociology, Eff Teams, Mng Conflict,  Anc Greek, Art History 1, Intro to IT,
Intro to Bus, Engl Comp 1&2, Religion, Conflict Reso, College Algebra, US History 2
TEEX: Death Invest
Coopersmith: Stress Mgmt, Therapeutic, Drugs & Society, Sport & Exercise, Psych of Motivation, Pos Psych, Career Coun
Community College: Comp Info Syst, A+ Hardware, A+ Op Syst, Linux Op Syst, Networks, Switching & Routing, Networking, IT Security
Computer Certs: Comp Tia A+

Planning for (2) Bachelors: BSLS 

[-] The following 1 user Likes TwinMom's post:
  • Clepper43
I took American History 1 & 2 on Study.com. The main thing you'd be missing by taking it elsewhere is that on Study.com those two courses fill in huge chunks of other history classes. If those are the only two you ever wanted to take then no problem, but if you were planning on taking others from Study.com I would take them all there so you don't have to repeat work.
Study.com - 177 CR. TESU - 39 CR. Middle Georgia State University - 15 CR. Sonoran Desert Institute - 42 CR. COSC - 6 CR. Excelsior - 6 CR. CLEP - 6 CR. Sophia - 14 CR. TEEX - 2 CR. Shmoop - 18 CR. NFA - 4 CR. The Institutes - 2 CR. FEMA - 20ish

BA in History/English from TESU. 
BA in Communications from TESU. AS in Firearms Technology from SDI.

(11-01-2019, 04:38 PM)jsh1138 Wrote: I took American History 1 & 2 on Study.com. The main thing you'd be missing by taking it elsewhere is that on Study.com those two courses fill in huge chunks of other history classes. If those are the only two you ever wanted to take then no problem, but if you were planning on taking others from Study.com I would take them all there so you don't have to repeat work.

Oh, right. Forgot about that. They are  just the first of the History classes I want to take. Thanks.
Working towards:
  • BS Entrepreneurship @ Franklin U or BA Human Relations & Business @ Amberton U
  • CLEP (36) - English Comp, Natural Science, College Math, Principles of Mgmt, Intro Marketing, Intro Sociology, Analyzing & Interpreting Lit, Intro to Educational Psychology, Human Growth & Dev 
  • DSST (12) - Principles of Supervision, Intro to Business, Human Resources Mgmt, Organizational Behavior
  • Sophia Learning (51) - Developing Effective Teams, Student Success, Essentials of Managing Conflict, Conflict Resolution, Intro to Ethics, Visual Communication, Intro to Psychology, Public Speaking, Intro to Info Tech, Accounting, Statistics, Algebra, Macroeconomics, Microeconomics, Communication at Work, Principles of Finance, Business Law, US History 1&2
yeah np. if you're taking other courses in any subject i would always do your classes at study.com. i've seen history quizzes fill in parts of philosophy, religion, business, politics, communication, etc courses.

It's always nice to turn in a course or two and see you're only 15 quizzes away from completing some course you haven't even opened yet. and if you do American History 1 & 2 and Western Civ 1 & 2 on Study.com, I believe it 100% completes History 100 for you and all you have to do is take the final.

I'm a big Study.com guy though so someone else might have a different opinion, but for me the fact that it fills in other courses as you work is all the reason in the world I'd need to use Study.com over someone else. The app is a big deal too.
Study.com - 177 CR. TESU - 39 CR. Middle Georgia State University - 15 CR. Sonoran Desert Institute - 42 CR. COSC - 6 CR. Excelsior - 6 CR. CLEP - 6 CR. Sophia - 14 CR. TEEX - 2 CR. Shmoop - 18 CR. NFA - 4 CR. The Institutes - 2 CR. FEMA - 20ish

(11-02-2019, 07:49 PM)jsh1138 Wrote: yeah np. if you're taking other courses in any subject i would always do your classes at study.com. i've seen history quizzes fill in parts of philosophy, religion, business, politics, communication, etc courses.

It's always nice to turn in a course or two and see you're only 15 quizzes away from completing some course you haven't even opened yet. and if you do American History 1 & 2 and Western Civ 1 & 2 on Study.com, I believe it 100% completes History 100 for you and all you have to do is take the final.

I'm a big Study.com guy though so someone else might have a different opinion, but for me the fact that it fills in other courses as you work is all the reason in the world I'd need to use Study.com over someone else. The app is a big deal too.

Now that you've steered me off course Smile If i complete one or more SDC courses, is there any way for me to browse other courses that the previous courses have partially completed?

You know what I'm saying? Instead of, say, just opening up World History 1 (because I need or want to do it) and seeing it partially completed, is there a list I can browse and see "Oh, my previous courses have already made World History 10% complete, so I'll pick that course next!"
Working towards:
The only way I've ever found is to enroll in the courses. Then when you check your dashboard, it will display them along with how much of each is completed. There might be a way to do it without enrolling in them first but if there is I've never found it.

So what I did way back at the start was enroll in like 50 of them, and then work on whatever I was working on, and then scroll down and you can see how it's all progressing. Obviously with some you can guess, like the LL Vietnam one half completes the UL Vietnam one, same as with the LL and UL Civil War ones. But some of the Business Ethics courses fill in philosophy and vice versa, and there's a decent bit of overlap between some of the Psych courses and Business too. Then there are some like the Health 101 one that seems to pull from every discipline there is.

So if I were you I would just add 50 or 100 of them to your dashboard and maybe do some of the placement tests and see what fills in and go from there. You can always unenroll later if you don't like a course so other than the time involved in adding and removing, you're risking nothing.

[-] The following 1 user Likes jsh1138's post:
  • SCYankee
Awesome. Thanks for the help.
Working towards:
sure, any time

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Recent Sophia.org Membership Code bjcheung77 101 52,192 11 hours ago
Last Post: awildstudentappeared
  New Sophia Courses: Health, Fitness, and Wellness and Anatomy & Physiology II Lab LevelUP 7 371 03-23-2024, 03:16 AM
Last Post: Kab
  Non-course equivalency at TESU for Sophia Principles of Finance? Yenisei 7 276 03-18-2024, 11:51 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Is there a list of which Sophia courses have touchstones? MaMichelle 7 6,788 03-16-2024, 06:45 PM
  How to get ACE credits such as Sophia on official college transcript Student3452 18 4,861 03-08-2024, 01:34 AM
Last Post: Gumbeaux
Information New Sophia Courses: College Math and Chemistry MNomadic 67 10,389 03-07-2024, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Westslope Cutthroat
  Sophia | US Government bradonomics 3 602 03-01-2024, 09:13 PM
  Sophia - Managerial Accounting and Lifespan chentastic 36 3,958 02-28-2024, 09:41 AM
Last Post: vaticidalprophet
  Sophia English Comp II vs CLEP College Composition davemodular 9 560 02-17-2024, 01:56 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
Thumbs Up Sophia Review: Finished 6 Courses in 1 Week Ares 11 1,803 02-11-2024, 04:54 PM
Last Post: Ares