Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
US History & Gov Needed -self paced preferred
Any suggestions on fast, self paced US History and Government course for Gen Ed / AA requirements to take online?  Not proctored exams are even better. I could do APU but not really wanting to wait the 8 weeks for the class to be completed.  ASU does not have them this summer. Not so worried about the cost as much as the speed.  Any suggestions are appreciated!  Thanks!
Sophia has US History I and II free as long as you register by July 31st. I've taken I and it was relatively easy. They give you about 600 pages of reading spread out between 4 units. Might actually be less; I didn't count how many were blank pages in the PDFs vs. actual reading pages and am estimating. You can also listen to the text being read out, if you'd prefer that.

Study.com has https://study.com/academy/course/governm...nment.html $200 a month allows you to take 2 courses that month.

Make sure that your school will accept alternate/ACE credits. If they do, you might want to take as many Sophia classes as you can since they're all free right now.
(04-30-2020, 08:28 AM)yokopilar Wrote: Any suggestions on fast, self paced US History and Government course for Gen Ed / AA requirements to take online?  Not proctored exams are even better. I could do APU but not really wanting to wait the 8 weeks for the class to be completed.  ASU does not have them this summer. Not so worried about the cost as much as the speed.  Any suggestions are appreciated!  Thanks!

The self-paced courses I know about all have proctored exams. I think that's going to be pretty standard if you need these courses for credit. For online options you have Straighterline for American Government and US History I and II. I took American Government through Straighterline and it wasn't too bad, there was quizzes and maybe a midterm. The final is closed book. Saylor also has American Government. Of course, you should double-check and make sure these courses will be accepted at your school.
InstantCert Credit has it and it's cheap.

But it's unclear whether you're looking for ACE/NCCRS, or an RA school, so you might want to make that clear.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(04-30-2020, 11:00 AM)dfrecore Wrote: InstantCert Credit has it and it's cheap.

But it's unclear whether you're looking for ACE/NCCRS, or an RA school, so you might want to make that clear.

I need to transfer the credit to APU as Credit ….. so it shows as a American Government course.  I talked with APU and they will take Sophia courses directly from them quickly and easily and it will show as Eng 101 and Eng 102 so that is great. I can then transfer that to my final school.

I have never explored IntantCert Credit but will go off to do that right now …….  I was really hoping for a non-proctored / non-test site option.

Thanks!!!
(04-30-2020, 11:10 AM)yokopilar Wrote:
(04-30-2020, 11:00 AM)dfrecore Wrote: InstantCert Credit has it and it's cheap.

I need to transfer the credit to APU as Credit ….. so it shows as a American Government course.  I talked with APU and they will take Sophia courses directly from them quickly and easily and it will show as Eng 101 and Eng 102 so that is great. I can then transfer that to my final school.

I have never explored IntantCert Credit but will go off to do that right now …….  I was really hoping for a non-proctored / non-test site option.

Thanks!!!
As ive said before it doesn't matter if APU takes them it is about the final school. You need to make sure they accept whatever credits you what to transfer.
(04-30-2020, 11:20 AM)natshar Wrote: As ive said before it doesn't matter if APU takes them it is about the final school. You need to make sure they accept whatever credits you what to transfer.

Absolutely right.  I've never heard of a school accepting some other schools transfer credits at face value.  It's called credit laundering and doesn't fly.  Someone might allow it as an oversight but be ready to have the credit rejected when they do an evaluation at graduation.  Then again, there is a slim chance it might work.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Eastern University Self-Paced online Degrees natshar 2 596 03-06-2024, 10:03 PM
Last Post: jumlouh
  Advice Needed for School & Degree Plan diablo 8 617 01-04-2024, 04:58 PM
Last Post: allvia
  Cheap Self-Paced Language Courses or courses IN said languages? nykorn 4 411 12-09-2023, 12:06 PM
Last Post: nykorn
  Study.com for World History TECEP bannerfield 4 1,088 09-27-2023, 03:43 PM
Last Post: Avidreader
  Fast, Self Paced, preferrably cheap RA credits elcastor21 6 869 09-12-2023, 08:20 PM
Last Post: Cofffeee
  History of Degree Awarding Tomes MichaelGates 2 496 07-06-2023, 06:15 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Legacy Admissions with Anti-Semitic History Challenged sanantone 2 495 07-04-2023, 12:53 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  Regionally Accredited Self Paced Courses for College Credit BMWGuinness 5 2,765 04-27-2023, 12:25 PM
  JD & Masters History - 22 year old bjcheung77 0 458 04-24-2023, 12:13 PM
  Help with Coopersmith's (PSY-304) History and Systems of Psychology Ben2020 13 2,359 03-07-2023, 08:13 PM
Last Post: Ypsiterroir