Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
US Masters CBE While Traveling Abroad[Long Post]
Random shower thought. [Long Post]

How feasible would it be for someone to do a US online CBE Masters (Hodges, WGU, Patten) while also traveling abroad?

At this point- this is just me thinking out loud and looking for recommendations/input.

I have thought about traveling abroad for a year+ trip for a minute now. I have a family friend who travels and she goes everywhere. It is her thing. Her experience makes it seem like you can do it while being frugal about it.

At some point, I want to start and finish my master’s program.

Why not combine the two; travel abroad and finish school at the same time? When employers ask why is there a year gap in my resume I would just say I took time off to go to graduate school.

A lot of traditional graduate students move to their school campus and rent an apartment while going full time and rack up a ton of debt.

So, what about traveling abroad and completing the courses full-time. I could probably do it without going into debt.

If it takes 1 year to complete WGU masters that is 6 grand. If it takes 1.5 years that is 9 grand. Plus 20,000-40,000 for 1 year abroad.

Stay in a country for a couple months. For example, just off the top of my head, but Peru 2 months, Mexico 2 months, Guatemala 2 months.

2 months Thailand, 2 months Philippines, 2 months Vietnam.

That is a year right there.

Most expensive places would be many places in Europe, Singapore.

Not sure how I feel about Africa for this idea. But I am sure there are doable places.  Ethiopia, South Africa

I have been to Thailand the infrastructure in certain areas like Chang Mai is good. I never had issues getting the internet.  It is cheap, especially coming from a major metropolitan East Coast city.

I know you need visas, and immunizations, insurance,

I guess basic questions I would need to consider.  (not really asking for direct answers, but still curious on your thoughts)

will I be able to take proctored finals and where?

How much money would I realistically need?

How could I make money on the side?

What recommendations/ how to for learning new languages?  

Has anyone on this forum done anything like that?

What are your thoughts?

I remember a while back didn't we have a guy teaching English in China going for his degree. I would how he did it. What his thoughts were.

Please give me the good, the bad, and the ugly.

The experience of traveling abroad could potentially be worth more than the actual masters.
TESU BSBA (Dual Degree)
Computer Information Systems
General Management

Completed June 2017

For those wondering:
CIS AOS-
TEEX- Bus for IT + IT Professional = 4 UL
Study.com- Digital Marketing = 3 UL
University- Hardware Support Esentials = 4 LL C
Ed4credit- MIS = 3 UL C
SL- C++ Programming 4 UL
CSU Global - System Analysis & Design = 3 C

Gen Man AOS-
Study.com- HRM, Digital Marketing,
SL - Cost Accounting, Managerial Accounting, Organzitional Behavior.
DAU- Contact Administration, Defense Procurement Management

https://www.reddit.com/r/WGU/comments/3o..._resident/

This is the best information I've found (regarding WGU, can't speak to the rest). Presumably, you could get a high-speed VPN and tunnel to the US, switch your timezone, and keep a US-based number. Do it right, and no one knows. Do it wrong? You won't be able to continue your studies.
Master of Business Administration, Universidad Isabel I, 2021
Master in Management & Team Management, Universidad Isabel I, 2021
Master in International Trade, Universidad Isabel I, 2021
Master in Supply Chain Management, Universidad Isabel I, 2021
Master in Project Management, Universidad Isabel I, 2023

BS Information Technology, Western Governors University, 2017
AAS Cybersecurity, Community College, 2017
FEMA Emergency Management Certificate, 2017
Fundraising Specialization Certificate, Berkeley/Haas, 2020

Undergraduate Credits: 165 Semester Credits
Graduate Credits: 105 ECTS (52.5 Semester Credits)
I would take a read at this post: http://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/showthre...?tid=27686
The situation is similar but there are differences, you may want to complete your Masters first and then go to work at an NGO overseas in Latin America or in South East Asia, you don't necessarily need to learn a language, but you can teach on the side and work at an NGO while you travel either Latin America or South East Asia.

The main difference is, in your case, I would take a FREE Nations University degree, haha... use the residency of a third world country and see if you can get the Masters in Divinity from them free! But I would finish the Masters at any of the three you mentioned prior to traveling overseas. If you want to do the Masters and travel at the same time, I wouldn't risk it with WGU, Patten/Hodges should be an option as they allow international students located anywhere, for WGU it's selective areas in Canada/Continental US.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
There are a few people overseas and taking their Bachelors or Masters. For example, this person:
1) http://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/showthre...?tid=24392
2) http://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/showthre...?tid=24627
He's updated since then, but the thread/post was lost due to the change to mybb from vbulletin

I've traveled extensively in South East Asia (each year at least a month to 3 and up 6 months since 2004). Heck, I met my wife in 2007 and got married in 2010 after flying to see her every year (most was 4 times in one year in 2009). Anyways, if you're frugal like me, you can live very comfy with just $1200USD/month and this is with the occasional splurging with food/nicer hotel.

So a year would cost roughly $15,000USD. I highly suggest staying in one place for the entire year, do a gap year/teaching year overseas and get paid for it, your flight is paid for, everything else is paid for but your "food/stipend and splurging $$". Teaching jobs pay roughly $1500-2500USD depending on where/which school, etc. The terms are usually for 10 months, I would use the two months for "extreme/extensive travel". The internet/infrastructure in South East Asia is fine for your Masters.

If I were in your shoes, not married, nothing holding me back. I would do the Hodges MIS or Patten MBA IT, once I have that in my hands, I would work at an NGO and teach at the same time for extra $ overseas for 1 year, then take another year in another country. During that time, you have "vacation days" and "off time", you can take side vacations (I took a 2 week teach out session in South Korea, everything was FREE including flights in the Winter time). I would suggest doing Indonesia and Philippines, 1 year in one country. If you want to change the countries, try Cambodia and Thailand, again 1 year in one country. Be brave, live by very basic means for those two years and be "enlightened".
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • Ideas
@Thorne that WGU link was useful. Thank you.

@BJCheung -That is awesome advice.

Where do you suggest finding/searching for these NGO jobs?

Also as for teaching English. I thought ASU had a TOFEL Certificate course through EDx. It looks like it is no longer there. Do you have recommendations for cheap TOEFL courses I could while here?

How reasonable do you think it would be to find an IT job in one of these situations as a desktop support, network, anything entry level hands-on helping out. I'd like to keep skills current for when I eventually make my return.

I guess I am open to a lot of things.

That is awesome that you have traveled. I would love to go to South East Asia again.

Edit: I read through the post you linked and realized it was TESOL I was looking for. https://www.coursera.org/specializations/tesol which ASU does still have the course
TESU BSBA (Dual Degree)
Computer Information Systems
General Management

Completed June 2017

For those wondering:
CIS AOS-
TEEX- Bus for IT + IT Professional = 4 UL
Study.com- Digital Marketing = 3 UL
University- Hardware Support Esentials = 4 LL C
Ed4credit- MIS = 3 UL C
SL- C++ Programming 4 UL
CSU Global - System Analysis & Design = 3 C

Gen Man AOS-
Study.com- HRM, Digital Marketing,
SL - Cost Accounting, Managerial Accounting, Organzitional Behavior.
DAU- Contact Administration, Defense Procurement Management

(09-15-2017, 05:42 PM)yb1 Wrote: @Thorne that WGU link was useful. Thank you.

@BJCheung -That is awesome advice.

Where do you suggest finding/searching for these NGO jobs?

Also as for teaching English. I thought ASU had a TOFEL Certificate course through EDx. It looks like it is no longer there. Do you have recommendations for cheap TOEFL courses I could while here?

How reasonable do you think it would be to find an IT job in one of these situations as a desktop support, network, anything entry level hands-on helping out. I'd like to keep skills current for when I eventually make my return.

I guess I am open to a lot of things.

That is awesome that you have traveled. I would love to go to South East Asia again.

Edit: I read through the post you linked and realized it was TESOL I was looking for. https://www.coursera.org/specializations/tesol which ASU does still have the course

Hey Yb1, I am the one Bjcheung was referring to in his post about the other guy finishing a degree abroad. I know this thread it old, but please feel free to reply here or private message me if you have any questions about cost of living in Asia, TESOL, job opportunities, etc. I'm currently based out of Vietnam and would love to help you if you have anything I can help you with. Hope your Master's is coming along well!
I don't have much to add, except go for it! Smile

Well one thing. Pearson has many international test centers. It might be an option. http://www.pearsonvue.com/es/locate

I didn't read through all of the links in the thread, but I would say GO FOR IT. I would, however, strongly caution against spending much time in South Africa right now. I was there for two weeks last year and out of the 60 countries I have been to, I can say that I felt less safe there than anywhere else. (Even staying in a nice area right near the convention center)

Aside from the minor details, I think you could easily make a couple thousand a month with online ESL teaching. I'll spare everyone the boring details, but as I mentioned in another post, I just discovered it and it is a really cool way to supplement income and have FUN. There are tons of nomads that do this and depending on your need for flexibility and your skills (native speaker with North American accent is top) you can make from 11 - $25 dollars an hour.
Regis University, ITESO, Global MBA with a focus in Emerging Markets 4.0 GPA, Dual-university degree (Spanish/English) 
COSC BS, Business Admin

My BS Credits:
Spanish 80 | Humanities 67 | A & I Lit 72 | Sub Abuse 452 | Bus Ethics 445 | Tech Writ 62 | Math 53 | HTYH 454 | Am. Govt 65 | Env & Humanity 64 | Marketing 65 | Micro 61| Mgmt 63| Org Behavior 65| MIS 446|Computing 432 | BL II 61 | M&B 50 | Finance 411 | Supervision 437| Intro Bus. 439| Law Enforcement 63|  SL: Accounting I B | Accounting II C+| Macro A | ECE: Labor Relations A | Capstone: A| FEMA PDS Cert 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Post formatting settings ? Chimera 2 344 03-19-2024, 12:00 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Is Genocide Ok as Long as It Makes Everyone Happy? LevelUP 7 1,088 06-12-2022, 08:21 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  A Conversation About Inflation, Life Abroad, and Education Kal Di 0 532 05-31-2022, 05:02 PM
Last Post: Kal Di
  3 Ways to Achieve Financial Security Abroad Kal Di 2 587 05-15-2022, 01:11 AM
Last Post: Kal Di
  For Sale: Post Graduate University bjcheung77 5 1,099 05-30-2021, 07:39 PM
Last Post: Alpha
  Pretentious Post-Nominal Letters jamshid666 5 2,649 09-25-2019, 06:16 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  Commute to work - how long? cookderosa 9 1,787 01-16-2019, 06:06 PM
Last Post: burbuja0512
  Study abroad burbuja0512 9 2,100 11-01-2018, 07:18 AM
Last Post: homeschoolmom1
  Why do you not post on the other forum? sanantone 41 9,513 12-26-2017, 09:35 PM
Last Post: decimon
  Why is study.com screwing over it's long-standing customers? soliloquy 5 1,391 08-25-2016, 06:28 PM
Last Post: Study.com