Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
US Navy and Non Traditional Education
Some feedback. I went with my nephew to the recruiters office today and when they mentioned the "rule" about DSSTs not being acceptable for college credit I did as was suggessted above, I asked to see it in writing. As others on the board have guessed, it's not in there, in fact not one word about CLEP or DSSTs is even mentioned. But what **was** listed was the fact that Charter Oak State College is a fully accredited college and that their transcripts are to be considered as proof of having earned credit.
G-Man Wrote:Some feedback. I went with my nephew to the recruiters office today and when they mentioned the "rule" about DSSTs not being acceptable for college credit I did as was suggessted above, I asked to see it in writing. As others on the board have guessed, it's not in there, in fact not one word about CLEP or DSSTs is even mentioned. But what **was** listed was the fact that Charter Oak State College is a fully accredited college and that their transcripts are to be considered as proof of having earned credit.

Hmmmm..... strange how that worked outRolleyes ? Knowledge is a powerful weapon; I would have loved to seen the look on their faces. Keep up the good work and let us know how it works out. Regards, Lee
[SIZE="2"]Associates Degree, Aviation Maintenance Technology, Community College of the Air Force[/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"]Bachelors of Science, Liberal Studies Degree, Excelsior [/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"]MBA Human Resource Management, California Coast University[/SIZE]
FYI, with 39 credits I believe your nephew gets promoted to E-2. For 9 more college credits, 48 credits total, He starts off at E-3.

United States Navy Advanced Enlistment Ranks (Rates)

Might I suggest a couple of more CLEP or DANTES exams. It will save him 9 months to get promoted down the road.
[SIZE="1"]CLEP exams passed:
Management, Accounting, Marketing, Macroeconomics, Microeconomics

DSST exams passed:
Human Resources Management, Organizational Behavior, Statistics, Management Information Systems

Earned:
B.A. in Business Administration: Technology Management from Saint Leo University

M.S. in Leadership: Business Ethics from Duquesne University [/SIZE]
Wow! Thanks for the info. He's currently taking 2 tests a week (just passed biology last week which put him at 45 credits) and is scheduled to take US History II on Tuesday which will put him at the magic number 48 you mention. Incidentally, his only study source has been InstantCert and he's racking up the credits so fast the folks at the recruiting station thought it had to be some kind of scam. Until you sent the link though, I didn't know there was any written guideline on rank and education as far as enlistment. I thought it was all up to the recruiter unless you had a degree. But thanks to your helpful post I'll print out the chart and when we go back to see the recruiter we'll take it with us. Knowledge is indeed power. By the way, we're hoping to have him finish at least 60 credits by the time he leaves for boot camp and submit it all to Charter Oak for an Associates degree. thanks again for the post!
If the Navy will let a person with a GED in, and won't accept college-level credits from an organization that the Military does business with (I mean a huge contract) nor except his college official transcripts, yet allows for active/reserve Navy sailors to test for college credit for free (CLEP/DSST, etc.) and puts those earned credits on their SMART transcript and except whatever college/university degree that allows CLEP/DSST on their official college evaluations to be used on sailor's evals/fitreps, then something isn't right with this equation. Either its the Navy overall for contradicting their own policies/regulations or its this one recruiter who may/may not have the most accurate information out there or simply doesn't want to do the job correctly.

One way or another, I'm sure you can find out by speaking with that recruiter's supervisor and if that doesn't work, then go higher- go to the officer in charge of that recruiting station or district. Also, you got various Navy associations, veterens associations and even a congressman you could write too. Just make sure your ducks are in a row when you do.
Old Rusty Pipe Wrote:FYI, with 39 credits I believe your nephew gets promoted to E-2. For 9 more college credits, 48 credits total, He starts off at E-3.

United States Navy Advanced Enlistment Ranks (Rates)

Might I suggest a couple of more CLEP or DANTES exams. It will save him 9 months to get promoted down the road.

As a Navy veteran of 11 years, I would also suggest that he complete the degree and come in as an officer. The Navy is a much better place if you are an officer...
I'd second that, although I'm not in the Navy (Air Force--24 Years) the O's make much more. While there are probably some positives to being enlisted....Rolleyes this is one instance where the grass IS greener on the other side.
[SIZE="2"]Associates Degree, Aviation Maintenance Technology, Community College of the Air Force[/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"]Bachelors of Science, Liberal Studies Degree, Excelsior [/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"]MBA Human Resource Management, California Coast University[/SIZE]
pitbull30 Wrote:Alittle off topic here. But for gmans info the nuclear guys get something like 30-60 credits for there job added to there SMART transcript once they get out. Not sure in what categories though

True, we do get at least 74 credits towards the TESC BSAST Nuclear Engineering Technology. Taking CLEPs and DSSTs help along the way but the majority of these credits are in Nuclear Engineering, Power, Radation, and Theory. Going through Power School and Prototype grants you these credits. Yeah, the training was hard and the fleet stinks (for enlisted guys, especially on subs), but it was well worth it.
[COLOR="DimGray"]Intro to World Religions 68
Social Science and History 60
Principles of Statistics 60
Western Civilization I 58
Intro to Sociology 55
Astronomy 54
Technical Writing 54
Humanities 50
College Composition 50[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Blue"]C Programming - C
Electronic Instrumentation and Control - A
War and American Society - A
International Economics - A
Calculus II - B[/COLOR]
beavism Wrote:As a Navy veteran of 11 years, I would also suggest that he complete the degree and come in as an officer. The Navy is a much better place if you are an officer...

I retired Navy in 2003 and I agree about the officer part, O is the way to go!
If I had to do it again, the Air Force for me. They normally have the best of everything. I guarantee you less hrs than the Navy. He would have every opportunity to go to school and get whatever degree he wants. Now that I'm out and looking at my pension, I realize their are many out here that have a better pension. Yes, we collect when we get out, BUT, I currently work at a municipality and my supervisor showed me his pension slip last year. He's my age and will be collecting quite a bit over $50,000 a year (could go to $60,000), and there's a lot more where that came from. Reason I bring this up, pride is great but nowadays, I say go where the going is good. USAF, it's also much easier on a marriage hands down. I had some good days in the Navy, no doubt, but days have changed. Take the easier road, it's less dusty.
I can't find the regulation on this but I'm sure it's wrong. Just because someone says it can't be done doesn't make it right. Have your nephew ask to talk to her boss. Take it up the chain of command.

On a different note: why not put his head down and get his degree first? Life is much better in the military the further up the chain you go. Have him get is bachelor degree and go in as an officer or a warrant officer.
B Smith

B.S. Business - Excelsior College
B.S. Elect. Engineering Technology - Excelsior College

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  US Navy NARC Program Alpha 1 1,258 06-18-2022, 07:53 PM
Last Post: jch
  Norwich University for EOD and Navy Divers ROYISAGIRL 0 1,017 03-02-2021, 09:01 PM
Last Post: ROYISAGIRL
  Have a military education exit strategy. vetvso 26 5,538 05-07-2020, 10:11 PM
Last Post: Life Long Learning
  Navy BootCamp Credit natshar 9 2,309 03-31-2020, 09:17 PM
Last Post: Life Long Learning
  Navy PPME frankshorey 2 3,256 02-04-2017, 01:54 AM
Last Post: Bewood
  Military Education Spending and Stats Prloko 6 1,779 07-13-2015, 07:50 PM
Last Post: gingerbeefE
  I need education Bullets Shadowless 8 2,507 02-28-2011, 08:48 PM
Last Post: GlennOwns
  Bad news for NAVY testing centers blu2blu 3 1,860 09-26-2010, 09:54 AM
Last Post: blu2blu
  Education Office? kevinmanemane 2 1,449 08-18-2010, 06:47 PM
Last Post: kevinmanemane
  What other online education is there besides FEMA? Shadowless 4 1,842 02-20-2010, 10:23 AM
Last Post: peace123