Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
USAF Troop - Needs 40 credits for EDUC. Waiver
I'm currently in the USAF. I need 90 total credits to qualify for an education waiver to get into Officer Candidate School. My goal is to become a pilot and to do so I need to be a commissioned officer.

I'm scheduled for 30 hours over the summer and fall semesters and need an additional 40 hours by December.

1st Question: Is this possible? If so how?

2nd Question: Do some CLEP tests cancel out some DSST test or are the credits still accounted for? (ex. Natural Sciences: CLEP and the DSST Physical Science - Would I get credit for each test )

Thanks for any help. I'm on a short time table and need all the help I can get. My age is the factor in this little problem. I can't start Flight Training after I turn 30 and I turn 29 in September 08.

Please help.
In the USAF already posted my situation in the general questions thread.

I need as many Study Guides as possible to suit this problem. Please help.

I will take any and all available. Need 40 credits by December or sooner. Thanks so much and God Bless.
40 SH by December is VERY achievable. If you go to a school that accepts FEMA credits (EC or TESC), you can earn 30 or so right there in a matter of days. Then 2 CLEPs worth 6 SH each and you'll be done. Or one 6er and 2 other ones.

For your second question, I'm pretty sure they'll cancel each other out. I earned credits for Principles of Management through the Army, and then took the CLEP, but my school only gave me credit for one.

I'd recommend Analyzing and Interpreting Literature to start you off. Then you could take Intro to Sociology and Intro to Computing and there's another 12, putting you over what you need.

It seems like you want it bad enough, so I'm sure you'll have no problems.
Jesse
BA, Thomas Edison State College
MS, Grand Canyon University
sociology, marketing, and management cleps are all easily done in a matter of days and you may already have a background in these subjects.

try any and all you can. remember you just have to pass-you only need to know the minimal subject matter.
[COLOR="Indigo"]Taken and passed-
CLEP: precalc, college algebra, chemistry, american lit, english lit, principles of marketing, principles of management, sociology, history of western civ I, macroeconomics, microeconomics, biology (70!!!)
DANTES: history of vietnam war, art history, money and banking

Let me know if you need study advice on any of the above!

Coming up: Nothing! I'm finished with testing!!! Thank you all for your help and please contact me if you need some help in return.[/COLOR]
40 credits? No problem!

I've done the tests you see below my signature (30 credits I think) since the end of Feb. I could certainly go a little faster if life didn't keep getting in the way. There are people here doing 30 credits a month.

Good luck!
Joe

Excelsior BSB Aug 21, 2009
RUSHED Wrote:I need as many Study Guides as possible to suit this problem. Please help.

[COLOR="Navy"]Depending on the exam(s) you will be taking there are a plethora of books, guides, tapes, not to forget about the IC flashcards, etc. listed below.

When you settle on an exam let us know and we can all guide you to whatever you may need.[/COLOR]
ShotoJuku +
A.S., B.S., M.S., MBA
IC Forums Senior Super Moderator  
Passing It On & Paying It Forward To All Just Starting or Completing Their Educational Journey!

Shoto's Passing Your Exam Advice Here --->   http://www.degreeforum.net/general-educa...#post59179
God Bless The USA :patriot:
I already have 21 credits through college courses.

PSYCH 101
SOCL 101
ENGL 101
WESTERN HIST I
MUSIC APP
HEALTH AND NUTRITION
BIOL 101

I'm currently taking
INTRO TO COMPUTERS 101
ENGL 102
SPEECH 101
BIOL 102
AMERICAN GOV 101

Any suggestions on other tests I could take to help.
Obviously the easier the better. LOL....

Thanks for all the help guys.
RUSHED Wrote:I already have 21 credits through college courses.

PSYCH 101
SOCL 101
ENGL 101
WESTERN HIST I
MUSIC APP
HEALTH AND NUTRITION
BIOL 101

I'm currently taking
INTRO TO COMPUTERS 101
ENGL 102
SPEECH 101
BIOL 102
AMERICAN GOV 101

Any suggestions on other tests I could take to help.
Obviously the easier the better. LOL....

Thanks for all the help guys.

Welcome to the boards! Of course you can get 40 credits by years end. To answer your other question, you CAN NOT duplicate credit.
According to your list, I would have suggested totally different classes if you had came here first- because all of your classes you are taking have tests! In other words, it is more efficient to take classes that you can't test- while taking tests for the remaining. No matter- let's move forward, and the up side is that this will be a benefit to you because you won't have to study as much! Here are the tests that you won't be able to take for sure:

CLEP English Comp
CLEP Freshman Comp
CLEP Intro Psych
CLEP Sociology
CLEP Biology
CLEP Government.
CLEP Intro Computer

Since you have already taken so many foundation courses, I think you are an excellent candidate to take the following exams within the next month with a short bit of time on IC:

CLEP Analyzing and Interpreting Literature (6 credits)
CLEP Educational Psychology (3 credits)
CLEP Social Science and History (6 credits)
CLEP Natural Sciences (6 credits)

That will put you at 57 credits at the end of summer session. After that, you won't need much help getting the rest of your credits completed because you'll be an expert Big Grin
Don't ignore FEMA, those credits are 100% free through independent study. You can get those THIS WEEK to add in another 27 bringing your total up to 84 by the end of July.

If your feeling motivated, don't enroll for fall at your community college. Sign up at TESC and test out of your last 36 credits in August and September. You can sign up for your training with a Bachelor's Degree. How's that sound?
I agree with Jennifer. You could rock out a BA before Dec if you worked hard at it.

I also had a random thought. If you decide to go the FEMA route, don't stop at 27 credits. I did every course TESC would accept for credit and was awarded 30. Now you can only use up to 27 towards a degree, BUT... the military doesn't care if you can use them for a degree or not. They only care that you have them. So with a little extra work, you can get 3 more credits and get you that much closer towards your goal.
Jesse
BA, Thomas Edison State College
MS, Grand Canyon University
HawkGuy Wrote:I agree with Jennifer. You could rock out a BA before Dec if you worked hard at it.

I also had a random thought. If you decide to go the FEMA route, don't stop at 27 credits. I did every course TESC would accept for credit and was awarded 30. Now you can only use up to 27 towards a degree, BUT... the military doesn't care if you can use them for a degree or not. They only care that you have them. So with a little extra work, you can get 3 more credits and get you that much closer towards your goal.
>>

HawkGuy,
EXCELLENT suggestion. Sometimes it's easy to focus only on what "counts for the degree" and miss some great opportunities. (I might go back and add a few FEMA credits just for fun this week)
***WARNING****
something happens to a person here, something changes you.....yes, adding credits is my idea of a good timeBig Grin

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Service = Credits Alpha 5 1,415 06-04-2022, 07:43 AM
Last Post: vetvso
  TESU Application Fee Waiver ECH90 2 2,619 09-18-2019, 11:01 PM
Last Post: ECH90
  Straighterline 15 credits rayantanas 2 1,849 09-07-2019, 09:13 AM
Last Post: natshar
  Military waiver for residency charge at tesu Zachcleigh 4 2,256 05-09-2019, 07:59 AM
Last Post: ECH90
  TESU database of military credits? dfrecore 8 3,358 02-14-2019, 01:00 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  My Wife has 77 credits and just needs and Associates to get promoted. Please Help!! eliment 19 5,289 03-13-2018, 09:17 PM
Last Post: Sagan
  Another CCAF thread about alternative credits Tracker 9 4,797 02-19-2018, 05:31 PM
Last Post: retire2018
  Best Options at TESU? Residency vs Waiver for Military Dependent. Silly_Me 18 5,316 06-13-2017, 01:30 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Penn State World campus offering application fee waiver for military deuce2w 0 1,500 12-28-2016, 09:41 AM
Last Post: deuce2w
  Advanced Enlistment with College Credits jmeitrem 15 7,144 05-02-2016, 05:16 PM
Last Post: C5259