Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
UT School Bus Driver Dragged 13-year-old 150 Feet
(05-13-2019, 04:52 PM)katelynn Wrote:
(05-13-2019, 09:19 AM)dfrecore Wrote:
(05-12-2019, 08:49 PM)katelynn Wrote: It's such a shame that there are not enough hours in the day to drive one's own kids to school and pick them up afterward. Kids must go to school and adults must go to work, but having no other option than to put your child's life in the hands of strangers is scary. I don't mean with just the bus drivers, but all the staff and even the students. I honestly don't know how I'd manage my anxiety if I had a child in the school system, especially in these times.
There ARE enough hours in a day to drive one's own kids to school and pick them up afterwards. All kids don't HAVE to go to school; and all adults don't HAVE to go to work. But there are PLENTY of people who drop off/pick up their kids daily (I see them), there are plenty of SAHM's and SAHD's, plenty of parents who work from home or work part time.  I even know single mom's who homeschool their kids and work nights while their parents watch their kids.  You just made a lot of assumptions about ALL people, and I know very few people like this.

You're the one that said you couldn't manage your anxiety if you had a child in the school system.  I was just letting you know that even if you DON'T have a child in the school system, you cannot protect them from everything in the world.  It would be nice though.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
I know this thread has taken a turn into a really controversial area (SAHM vs working mom, HS vs PS) and I'm not trying to add fuel- but I will suggest that when I was a very new wife, a lot of people gave me advice and when I was a new mom take all of that x 10. When I started homeschooling, forget it, x 100

The best decision I ever made was to simply step outside of whatever those musts / rules /presumptions I had, and be the best mom I could figure out how to be. I am fortunate to have selected a great man to be my husband, choosing wisely is important because it does contribute to a family's financial options.

I (we) did opt out of sending my kids TO school, which makes me really sensitive to the words I hear from other parents sometimes from the position of feeling like they must go with the flow of the process. I would just encourage any new parent to know that going TO school is a way - but it's not the only way - and delegating out your kid's education is totally your right (and really normal in the USA) but you (generic you) don't ever HAVE TO do it. Participation is 100% optional. Getting that sense of ownership early on really (REALLY) was life-changing and empowering.

I remember many times thinking to myself "what would I do if I were raising him on Mars?" which is a joke to mean outside of our first world pressures, mores and social ways. Much of what we do is simply a result of being socialized to accept and practice a certain thing.

I'm not blaming the victim (the boy drug by the bus) but I also think it's prudent to teach people of all ages how they play an active role in their ability to not BE a victim in this world - being aware of behaviors and taking responsibilty for yourself all contribute to NOT being a victim. Thankfully this young man wasn't hurt, but hopefully, he'll be more aware each time he gets off ANY bus from now on.
"Mars ain't the kind of place to raise your kids
In fact it's cold as hell
And there's no one there to raise them if you did ..."
-Rocket Man
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 1 user Likes davewill's post:
  • cookderosa
@davewill well said.
GRADUATE

Master of Business Administration, Robert Cavelier University (2024-2025)

MS Information and Communication Technology (UK IET Accredited) (On Hold)
Master of Theological Studies, Nations University (6 cr)

UNDERGRAD : 184 Credits

BA Computer Science, TESU  '19
BA Liberal Studies, TESU  '19
AS  Natural Science and Mathematics, TESU  '19

StraighterLine (27 Cr)   Shmoop (18 Cr)  Sophia (11 Cr)
TEEX (5 Cr) Aleks (9 Cr)  ED4Credit (3 Cr) CPCU (2 Cr)   Study.com (39 Cr)

TESU (4 cr)
TT B&M (46 Cr)  Nations University  (9 cr)  UoPeople: (3 cr) Penn Foster: (8 cr)  

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  HAPPY NEW YEAR 2024!!! LevelUP 2 379 01-01-2024, 09:10 AM
Last Post: Charles Fout
  Happy Holidays and New Year 2022! bjcheung77 7 936 12-25-2023, 09:03 AM
Last Post: Charles Fout
  Nicaragua seizes all assets from INCAE Business School elcastor21 0 295 09-26-2023, 04:55 PM
Last Post: elcastor21
  Found: $1,500 (TOTAL) At-own-pace Law School dcan 48 9,023 08-28-2023, 10:34 PM
Last Post: resistk
Question Poll: Just not sure what to major in for grad school and which direction to go! Randyb100 21 1,461 05-26-2023, 03:26 AM
Last Post: Randyb100
  Can I get a High School Diploma after getting my GED and Associates? IReallyNeedADegree 24 2,548 02-06-2023, 07:13 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  HAPPY NEW YEAR 2023!!! LevelUP 3 1,912 01-11-2023, 02:23 PM
Last Post: Alpha
  ACE 2022 Student of The Year ashkir 0 595 12-19-2022, 06:26 PM
Last Post: ashkir
  Living the Good Life on $24,000 a Year? Retire in Your 20’s or 30’s? LevelUP 34 5,598 03-26-2022, 12:28 PM
Last Post: ashkir
  School Psychologists?? Vle045 3 901 01-21-2022, 03:22 AM
Last Post: PrettyFlyforaChiGuy