Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Uexcel English
I took UExcel ENG110 today and I passed with an "A" mark (it's letter-scored A to F). On the exam itself, nothing much to add to what TMW2010 has already outlined in this and other threads. Like him, I ran short of time and I had to do a rush wrap of my second essay. I could have used another 15mns for sure Smile

I used the "MY Access! Home Edition" software to prep the test, so I'll provide some feedback on that. The software is offered via UExcel web site. It comes loaded with a college-level writing tutorial, writing samples, and a couple of topics for training. The scoring engine is "similar" (quoting the software docs here) to the scoring engine used for the actual test.

Overall, I found it very good value for $30. It's a 90-days web-access license. Logins and online sessions were without any glitch, and I found no bug of any consequence while using it. Easy to learn and navigate too.

The tutorial is good and easy to use. It's link-based, of course, and you can tell that the developers went to great pains to make it user-friendly and easy on the eye. The word processor is adequate and there is an upper window that can double as a grammar/spelling check. Using that feature to correct mistakes is a good learning tool but the dictionnary is much weaker than "Word" or similar full-featured word processor (for instance it was flagging the word "delation" as unknown). There is also a word count feature (very useful) and a link from which you can access the entire tutorial in one place.

The scoring engine is based on 5 writing quality "rubrics" and feedback is in graphic format. This is the best feature of the package: you can see instantly where your weaknesses are when you score an essay. You can then go back and tweak it, re-score it via the engine etc... It’s a great way to tune up your essays skills.

[I]Note that the tutorial addresses only "classic" essays format, and not the "proposal" and "analysis/response" formats of the test. It does not address MLA quotations formats either. [/I] You'll have to do your own research on these 3 subjects. However, the software allows the import (via cut-and-paste) of your own topics into the sofware and you can use the word processor/scoring engine on them as you would with the pre-loaded essay questions.

That's about it... Good luck to all,

W.
I just got back from this test and am quite worried. I did not get an electronic score like everyone mentioned, but a printout that said that it will be sent to a human grader. As far as I can tell from the handbook , the only reason this should happen would be from a problem with your essay such as being to short, major syntax problems, in another language, off topic, repititioous etc....I was under the impression that my essays were pretty well written and I dont think any of those would apply to my test. I am really worried because I am depending on this test to graduate. My deadline for my last three credits is this week and this was supposed to fulfill it. Now I wont know my mark for 45 days and it sounds like most people who get theres sent out is because of a problem and they dont do well. Anyone else experience this?
There seems to be so few people who took this test I cannot find any information on Google!
History II - 65
History I - 63
Human Growth and development - 70
College Mathematics - 64
hindy1210 Wrote:I just got back from this test and am quite worried. I did not get an electronic score like everyone mentioned, but a printout that said that it will be sent to a human grader. As far as I can tell from the handbook , the only reason this should happen would be from a problem with your essay such as being to short, major syntax problems, in another language, off topic, repititioous etc....I was under the impression that my essays were pretty well written and I dont think any of those would apply to my test. I am really worried because I am depending on this test to graduate. My deadline for my last three credits is this week and this was supposed to fulfill it. Now I wont know my mark for 45 days and it sounds like most people who get theres sent out is because of a problem and they dont do well. Anyone else experience this?
There seems to be so few people who took this test I cannot find any information on Google!

Its my understanding that approx. 5% of the tests get held to be scored by human graders as a form of Quality Control.

The system uses IntelliMetric scoring software. You'll find more answers to what you're looking for searching on 'IntelliMetric' than you will on the class itself. It also appears to be the same software used to auto-score GMAT Essays... Interesting.. I didn't know that.. Hurm.

Good luck!
Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Wile E. Coyote, genius. I am not selling anything nor am I working my way through college, so let's get down to basics: you are a rabbit and I am going to eat you for supper. Now don't try to get away, I am more muscular, more cunning, faster and larger than you are, and I am a genius, while you could hardly pass the entrance examinations to kindergarten, so I'll give you the customary two minutes to say your prayers.

Bachelor of Science in PsychoRabbitology degree
Master of Education with a specialty in Rabbit-specific destructive munitions (or eLearning & Technology, I forget which)
Doctor of Philosophy in Wile E. Leadership with an area of specialty in Acme Mind Expansion - 2017 Hopefully
I had the same experience yesterday as Hindi1210. My print out clearly said that my test can not be scored electronically and that it would be sent to a faculty in one of the "upcoming rating sessions" :-) I thought I did OK over all but now I am a bit worried.

Good luck to all.
Seven days after taking the test, Excelsior's website was updated with a score of B for this test! Glad to have passed this one.
Good luck to all.
Hey there,

I have been reading this threat with great interest. I am currently enrolled with Excelsior and am going to be taking the english comp course. I really want to try to be done quicker and I see the college writing exam is 3 credit hours and the ECE EC is 6 so I will be 3 credit hours short on my humanities. I was wondering if you guys feel it is worth taking this exam as I have heard the ECE English Comp is SUPER hard.
I know it's been a while since the last post on here about it.
Thanks in advance
Amy Wrote:Hey there,

I have been reading this threat with great interest. I am currently enrolled with Excelsior and am going to be taking the english comp course. I really want to try to be done quicker and I see the college writing exam is 3 credit hours and the ECE EC is 6 so I will be 3 credit hours short on my humanities. I was wondering if you guys feel it is worth taking this exam as I have heard the ECE English Comp is SUPER hard.
I know it's been a while since the last post on here about it.
Thanks in advance

I am a little confused by your question because you seem to be mixing requirements - Written English Requirement and Humanities - and I don't know if you are pursuing an associate degree or a bachelor's degree.

The Written English Requirement for an associate degree is 3 credits. Consider* the Uexcel English exam for 3 credits, ECE for 6 credits, SL English I, or an online/community college course.

The Written English Requirement for a bachelor's degree is 6 credits. Consider* combinations like SL Eng I and II, ECE, Uexcel plus SL Eng II, or online/community college course(s) plus SL Eng I or II if needed.

For Humanities, consider A&I Lit CLEP for 6 credits plus another exam that interests you from this category.

If this didn't answer your question, please ask again.

*These options are not listed in any particular order. Always check with your advisor to find the best choice for you.
AS in 2010 and BS in 2013 at Excelsior College - Transcripts and Costs
MS Biostatistics in 2019 at Texas A&M University - Graduate School

Sharing Credit-by-Exam*
Resources Used - 20+ Exams Passed & General GRE
Practice Tests - Available for CLEP and DSST

* Link posted with permission from forum admin; thank you!
I still have one question... did they give you topics to write about? Did you get only one topic? Can you just give us some idea of the type of topics?

Thanks!
Denise

MS - Management and Leadership, WGU 2022
BS - Liberal Arts - Depths in Healthcare and Psychology, Excelsior College 2014
Certificate - Workers Comp Admin, UC Davis Extension, 1995
AA - Licensed Vocational Nursing and Selected Studies, Mesa College 1989
Certificate - Licensed Vocational Nursing (LVN), Mesa College 1977

Also, someday maybe a MS in Forensic Psychology, just for fun.   Oh, and a BS in Animal Behavior.  And, maybe when I'm 85 a PhD in something fun.

Did you have to write the proposal essay as a "letter", including the formalities such as the date, addresses, greetings and salutations of a letter? The example on the study guide tells me to "write a letter". MyAccess does not have a proposal or A&R topic, only persuasive, and informative, and create your own...unless I am missing something. With only these topics available, I have no way to know if I am citing articles correctly. I have created my own A&R and proposal based on the example topics in the study guide and did pretty well on them, but my citations (quoted exactly as in the examples) were always scored as mistakes because the grammar in the examples were mistakes, so even if they weren't, I have no idea how to cite out of an article and letter to the editor correctly.

Also, I see that I have to be super careful with proper names, names of companies, brands, and even names of doctors, scientists, etc because MyAccess counts names of things as spelling errors. This can be bad in a proposal when you are pushing the name of something as a solution. :/

Any help or recommendations would be much appreciated. I will be testing soon and no one has been able to help me. My time with Excelsior is running out, and I can't afford to fail.

<3

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  77 Online credit courses in English from Germany - from €16/ECTS FrHaseKopf 19 6,562 04-22-2023, 01:27 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Saudi Scholarship: No funding for English studies bjcheung77 2 758 12-13-2022, 08:43 AM
Last Post: Fewind
  English 2 Jennr2z 2 603 05-28-2022, 05:22 PM
Last Post: Jennr2z
  English 2 CLEP Jennr2z 6 1,265 05-25-2022, 10:02 AM
Last Post: ss20ts
  English degrees besides TESU, UMPI? Ideas 1 861 12-13-2021, 10:00 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  English Language Teaching through to 2023 bjcheung77 0 576 12-05-2021, 01:18 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Searching for online - ideally self-paced - English 101/102 Courses thephdbalance 8 1,554 08-13-2021, 03:02 PM
Last Post: thephdbalance
  Preparation for UExcel Philosophy Leebo 7 1,871 05-25-2021, 04:30 PM
Last Post: triceratops
  Earned Admission ASU English Comp 2 rlw74 2 1,066 05-05-2021, 07:16 PM
Last Post: ReyMysterioso
  UExcel exam costs $220 nomaduser 5 1,469 03-14-2021, 04:17 PM
Last Post: dfrecore