Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Unable to get a straight answer from Excelsior about 9/11 GI Bill
I am posting a series of emails between myself and Excelsior. I am unable to get a straight answer from Excelsior about using 9/11 GI Bill. I find it ridiculous that a company can't answer basic questions.

Andy to VAFA:
Hi,
I am eligible for Post 9/11 GI Bill at 80%. I am interested in obtaining an Associates degree using credits I already have. How much would it cost to do this and how much of this would be paid by the VA. Would I be eligible for BAH and if so for what location and how long. Thanks in advance.

VAFA@excelsior.edu to andy
Hi Andy,

After you apply to Excelsior and send in your transcripts we can review and see how many credits you will need to complete your degree. Without having that step done it may be a little difficult to determine how much it will cost to finish your degree. Your benefit will cover 80% of fees and tuition of courses. Starting October 1st you will be able to receive BAH while attending Excelsior College on line and receive 50%of the national average for BAH.

Sincerely,

Office of Financial Aid/ Veterans Affairs

Andy to VAFA:
Hi,
Thanks for your quick response. I understand you need to see my transcripts to get an exact answer, but I would like to know hypothetically, IF I have all the credits I need, what does it cost. I am also curious, how that would effect my elligability for BAH if hypothetically, I was not actually taking any classes. Thanks in advance.

VAFA@excelsior.edu to andy
Hello,

You would need to contact our admissions office to inquire about the cost of the program. However, you would qualify for the basic housing allowance if you were taking our nursing exams. Once you successfully pass an exam, we would notify the VA of your enrollment and attendance.

Sincerely,

Office of Financial Aid/ Veterans Affairs
It looks like they're telling you that in lieu of taking classes in order to receive your BAH for attending the school, you could take nursing exams. Also, it looks like they told you the GI Bill would pay 80% of your enrollment, graduation, and tuition fees. If you already had all the credits you needed and simply wanted to pay for the degree, they you obviously would not be attending the school, and hence no BAH. This is what I gathered from the email chain, right or wrong.
Mechanix26 Wrote:It looks like they're telling you that in lieu of taking classes in order to receive your BAH for attending the school, you could take nursing exams. Also, it looks like they told you the GI Bill would pay 80% of your enrollment, graduation, and tuition fees. If you already had all the credits you needed and simply wanted to pay for the degree, they you obviously would not be attending the school, and hence no BAH. This is what I gathered from the email chain, right or wrong.

To me their emails could be interpreted in several ways. I feel like the person just cut and pasted canned responses to my questions.
I know what you mean. That happens too often!
They were pretty clear. You have 80% coverage, that means 80% of everything. If you take full time classes with EC you will be able to get BAH at 1/2 the national average for an E-5 w/ dependents. Since you only have 80%, you will get 80% of that 1/2. You must be actually taking classes (enrolled) to get anything from the GI Bill. All of that is from... the VA, perhaps you should direct VA specific questions to... THE VA.

EC is NOT the VA, they are a school and offered you the information for their part of the program. Everything else, they directed you to the appropriate place... THE VA.

It looks like you think you already have all of the credits to complete an AA/AS and just want to transfer them into EC. If that is the case, I don't believe the VA would cover anything, but the best way to find out would be... TO TALK TO THE VA.

And btw, Excelsior is a COLLEGE, or a SCHOOL, it is not a COMPANY.
valsacar Wrote:They were pretty clear. You have 80% coverage, that means 80% of everything. If you take full time classes with EC you will be able to get BAH at 1/2 the national average for an E-5 w/ dependents. Since you only have 80%, you will get 80% of that 1/2. You must be actually taking classes (enrolled) to get anything from the GI Bill. All of that is from... the VA, perhaps you should direct VA specific questions to... THE VA.

EC is NOT the VA, they are a school and offered you the information for their part of the program. Everything else, they directed you to the appropriate place... THE VA.

It looks like you think you already have all of the credits to complete an AA/AS and just want to transfer them into EC. If that is the case, I don't believe the VA would cover anything, but the best way to find out would be... TO TALK TO THE VA.

Excelsior claims to be military friendly, this text is on their web site “Our Top 20 Military Friendly College designation (Military Advanced Education magazine) and a G.I. Jobs magazine Military Friendly College designation, means we know how to help you maximize your benefits and reach your educational goals while serving your country, and after.” Kind of gives me the expectation that they are experts on all the ins and outs of the GI Bill process.

The way Excelsior is structured is very different from most schools and the people at the VA might not know the answer offhand.

valsacar Wrote:And btw, Excelsior is a COLLEGE, or a SCHOOL, it is not a COMPANY.
I stand corrected; Excelsior charges money for a service, that in no way resembles a COMPANY, my bad.
Also I don’t like the way Excelsior says I need to apply before they can answer questions, It costs $80 to apply and then $20 for a CLEP transcript and $20 for a DSST transcript; that’s a lot of cash just to get some questions answered.
valsacar Wrote:And btw, Excelsior is a COLLEGE, or a SCHOOL, it is not a COMPANY.

Excelsior is a company and is not interested in distance education anymore. When Excelsior dropped GRE Subject tests as a credit source they became just another college/company.
BA Liberal Arts in 2014 from Excelsior College. (Took 25 tests)
Certificate in Writing in 2018 from University of Washington.
Current: MA in Humanities from American Public University.
Have 180 hour TEFL/TESOL Advanced Cert from TEFL HERO.
Member of World Genius Directory. IQ 148 SD 15/IQ 151 SD 16.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  GI Bill Hacking? spohara 8 2,327 07-02-2023, 08:08 AM
Last Post: joejoe2482
  9/11 GI BILL QUESTION smf6824 5 1,976 03-10-2022, 04:04 AM
Last Post: Insert Name
  GI Bill for independent and distance learning options BBryant165 1 1,319 08-20-2020, 12:23 AM
Last Post: MNomadic
  Engineering Technology programs: Excelsior vs TESU MNomadic 13 9,512 02-21-2018, 06:36 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  65,000 military students have graduated with Excelsior College Life Long Learning 0 2,648 09-27-2017, 10:36 PM
Last Post: Life Long Learning
  TESU instead of Excelsior Srbinoki 6 3,335 06-26-2017, 05:49 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  no more collecting Post 9/11 Bill and Unemployment at the same time Life Long Learning 6 1,853 02-21-2016, 05:05 AM
Last Post: jadae@wgu.edu
  GI Bill Dilemma Leherself 9 3,049 01-31-2016, 04:32 PM
Last Post: Leherself
  Need Help Evaluating this plan for BS Liberal Arts Excelsior ajv254 5 1,680 01-20-2016, 02:58 PM
Last Post: Prloko
  Using the Post 9/11 GI Bill - webinar Life Long Learning 0 1,209 01-01-2016, 02:21 PM
Last Post: Life Long Learning