Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Unaccredited or Life Experience Degrees that are legal?
(06-25-2021, 01:11 PM)rachel83az Wrote:
(06-25-2021, 12:11 PM)ak1238 Wrote: No I looked at their curriculum. I don’t have much experience in networking, Linux, web dev...things like that and I do not have competency in a lot of those classes. I’m still open some life experience degrees

Your first post in this thread was on June 9th. If you'd signed up for Sophia at that time, you could potentially have 30+ credits by now.
I spoke with UMPI and they said the YourPace program accepts max 90 credits and 30 has to be completed at UMPI. Are people really accelerating those 10 classes in a month and a half? I could probably transfer in 60 or more credits

(06-25-2021, 01:03 PM)Cofffeee Wrote: I guess person is looking for smth fast without putting any effort into it. But unfortunately such thing doesnt exist.
Ur only option is to put work into it to be able to get any legal degree. How fast it can be done depends on u. But there is no way u can just get legal degree without doing actual work

I’m fine with putting in the work but I’m looking to be strategic aka not spending too much time if I don’t need to. Like how WGU lets students accelerate vs going to a 4 yr college. I’ve looked at UMPI and WGU and it’s looking like it’ll take more than a year to finish

(06-25-2021, 12:23 PM)ss20ts Wrote:
(06-25-2021, 12:11 PM)ak1238 Wrote:
(06-14-2021, 03:40 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: I was just curious - Have you compared the UMPI BLS MIS concentration?  How did you come to 1.5 years for the WGU option? Are you just using the WGU website example of an average student taking 1.5 years for the degree for some programs? Both institutions provide competency based degree options, it may not be exactly the same but the way students complete assessments/projects, etc, is similar.
No I looked at their curriculum. I don’t have much experience in networking, Linux, web dev...things like that and I do not have competency in a lot of those classes. I’m still open some life experience degrees

To complete the BLS with the MIS minor at UMPI you need ZERO experience in networking, Linux, web dev, or anything even remotely related. I completed the minor and have ZERO IT experience.

How long did it take you?
I dont know what u based ur calculations on,  but it just shows u even didnt bother to read posts on the topics. If u dont want to simply read basic info on the program u want to pursue.  How do u say u dont mind to put work into ur degree. If u did bother to read  u would see most people dont take 1 year to earn degree.
But ofcoz, to know that u need simply put work into it...... ( just at least start reading )
And here are news, u do need to spend time to earn ur degree...... to be Strategic
(06-25-2021, 05:51 PM)Cofffeee Wrote: I dont know what u based ur calculations on,  but it just shows u even didnt bother to read posts on the topics. If u dont want to simply read basic info on the program u want to pursue.  How do u say u dont mind to put work into ur degree. If u did bother to read  u would see most people dont take 1 year to earn degree.
But ofcoz, to know that u need simply put work into it...... ( just at least start reading )
And here are news, u do need to spend time to earn ur degree...... to be Strategic
You sound upset over an online comment. Are you talking about the UMPI post? The person is going in with the assumption that you can finish 10+ classes in one term... to anyone who’s gone to a brick and mortar university that sounds difficult. Are these high school level classes, in terms of difficulty?
I  m upset only over stuff which r close to me.  So i m not upset over u or ur posts. My advice start reading posts ab UMPI to get better understanding what the course work looks like and what to expect,  since u claim u r willing to put work into it. Start with reading posts on forum instead asking questions which are answered many times by others.
After that if u still have questions- ask. Right now u didnt bother to gather simple info which is easily available here.
(06-25-2021, 05:33 PM)ak1238 Wrote: I spoke with UMPI and they said the YourPace program accepts max 90 credits and 30 has to be completed at UMPI. Are people really accelerating those 10 classes in a month and a half? I could probably transfer in 60 or more credits

No, it takes 4 months because not every class is offered every term. So it takes you 2 terms (4 months) to complete everything. You can have a real, 100% legitimate, degree by the end of the year.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(06-25-2021, 05:33 PM)ak1238 Wrote: I spoke with UMPI and they said the YourPace program accepts max 90 credits and 30 has to be completed at UMPI. Are people really accelerating those 10 classes in a month and a half? I could probably transfer in 60 or more credits

I’m fine with putting in the work but I’m looking to be strategic aka not spending too much time if I don’t need to. Like how WGU lets students accelerate vs going to a 4 yr college. I’ve looked at UMPI and WGU and it’s looking like it’ll take more than a year to finish

How long did it take you?

It's been posted on here countless times that UMPI accepts up to 90 credits and that you must complete at least 30 credits at UMPI. Additionally you have to meet the UL in major and general electives. You also must complete the GEC.

No you cannot complete the 10 courses in a month and a half. Every course is offered every semester. Every course is not offered every term. Each semester is compromised of 2 terms. A term is 8 weeks long. You will need to plan for a minimum of 2 terms. You also need to understand that on average students complete 2-3 courses per term. Those of us who completed more are the exception and far from the rule. Your experience and knowledge will also vary from mine. 

How long it took me isn't how you gage your speed through a degree. It doesn't sound like you have any credits yet. I'd start those Sophia classes and see how long they take me and if that method works for me. WGU is also a self paced program. Just because a school allows students to complete the program in under a year does not mean that most students actually do. The vast majority do not. You need to set realistic expectations. Start with the Sophia courses and see how that goes so you can begin to come up with a plan.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  xamk Free Bachelors Degrees gams007 19 4,166 11-29-2023, 06:29 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  Accelerate Newlane degree with unaccredited degree? Pinko64 5 682 10-31-2023, 11:53 AM
Last Post: Pinko64
  Limit On Degrees somechick 5 729 09-03-2023, 09:23 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  My experience at SNHU as a BS Finance major neilsf 12 1,842 08-18-2023, 11:25 AM
  Amberton Bachelor's Experience? SCYankee 6 979 03-01-2023, 05:42 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  online Web Development degrees pluggingalong 11 1,443 02-28-2023, 06:36 AM
Last Post: origamishuttle
  Any cheap and easy Associates Degrees? learningthehardway 2 1,365 05-29-2022, 12:17 AM
  Lancaster Bible College - Christian-oriented non-religious degrees rachel83az 0 929 05-19-2022, 04:16 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Theological degrees starting at $300/mo. rachel83az 11 2,010 05-14-2022, 09:14 PM
Last Post: raekwon
  Can graduate credits be used for undergraduate degrees? xicovu 9 1,457 09-01-2021, 07:13 PM
Last Post: xicovu