Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Undergrad Certificates - is there a benefit?
Hi Y'all,

Just got my final grade for my COSC cornerstone class and drumroll ... I passed. Anyway, I won't be able to take the capstone until Fall term 2. I took the Sophia project management course which transfers in as the first project management course (MGT 460) in the series of three courses for the project management certificate. The other two courses will be offered in Fall term 1 and 2 respectively. 

I wanted to know if anyone has done undergrad certificates from the big 3 and has it brought any ROI job-wise? I don't want to spend the money and time if there is no true benefit. 

Thanks Y'all!
Yes and No, maybe so, do you have tuition reimbursement? It depends on the school, the degree you're going for, and the certificate as well. For example, in your case, at COSC, I usually says no to their certificates as it would be expensive (unless the cert is included in the degree plan).

Now, having said that, if you're going for a BSBA General Management degree at COSC and wanted to have a certificate to show you're getting ready/preparing for the PMI, the PM certificate would be worth it. Most people transfer in the max courses towards the Big 3, COSC is no exception.

Each and almost any course that is part of the certificates offered at COSC are rarely transferable from an alternative source for cheap. Are you going to be paying out of pocket for those two courses? If you have tuition reimbursement, I would say it's worth it... if not, that certificate isn't really necessary to prepare you for the PMI cert.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
In limited circumstances, I would say. If you had an unrelated degree and got an undergrad certificate in, say accounting, I'm sure you'd have a big leg up for a job in the accounting department over someone who had the same unrelated degree and no certificate. Of course, the person with the accounting degree is going to be in line before both of you.

Also, in some circumstances, you might get as much mileage out of non-degree certs like nanodegrees and the like.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
Thanks for the feedback y'all!

This would be paid out of my pocket. Since I don't plan on sitting for the PMI, I'll leave this one be.
In my early career, I got a certificate in 3D design. It did help me to get a job, but I got laid off after two years because they wanted to hire someone with a bachelor's degree. They did offer to help me pay for some college classes, but not all. It's a really long story, but in most cases, it doesn't help. Too many educated people are staying in the workforce.
OnlineDegree
Intro to Marketing and Strategy ($9) | Intro to Microeconomics ($9)

Study
Intro to Managerial Accounting ($70) | Advanced Accounting ($70) | Managerial Accounting ($80) | Intermediate Accounting 2 ($90) | Intermediate Accounting I ($90) | Cybersecurity Policies & Management ($80) | Management Information Systems ($80) | Data Structures & Algorithms ($80) | Intro to Programming ($70) | Computer Architecture ($70) | Calculus ($80) Database Management ($80)
Systems Analysis & Design ($70) | Discrete Math ($80) | Intro to Operation Systems ($80)

Saylor.org
Intro to Computer Science I ($25)
I don't think employers understand the difference between an undergrad certificate and a regular non-credit certificate. I don't think they understand the difference between a grad certificate and a non-credit certificate for that matter. You would have to REALLY make a point of it being for college credit, and I'm not sure that it would still stand out. I have a lot of non-credit certificates in various things that have cost money as well as freebies, and they are lumped into 1 section on my resume. I have a "degrees" section, and wouldn't put an undergrad/grad cert there - so for my resume, I'm just not ready to plunk down the cash. I don't think it would make a difference. I could be totally wrong, and if I didn't have a degree, that would probably change my answer. But I'm still in the category of "no" for this one.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  10 Certificates To Put On Your Resume In 2024 LevelUP 0 84 Yesterday, 09:15 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Inexpensive Certificates, Diplomas, Degrees bjcheung77 1 401 02-20-2024, 01:13 AM
Last Post: mancheseter24
  online RA undergrad discrete math course nomaduser 12 975 09-08-2023, 12:56 AM
Last Post: nomaduser
  BYU Pathway Worldwide - Ensign College (BYU-I Partnership Undergrad Options) bjcheung77 2 1,045 08-29-2022, 01:10 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Meta to offer new professional certificates through Coursera MNomadic 9 1,277 06-23-2022, 06:22 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  Google's new $100 million Google Career Certificates Fund MNomadic 19 2,074 05-03-2022, 09:41 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  Business Certificates Alpha 7 1,269 11-01-2021, 11:15 AM
Last Post: sanantone
  Arden University - Undergrad/Grad Scholarships (selective countries only) bjcheung77 0 783 08-15-2021, 07:30 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  U of the People Launches First Certificates harrypotter 9 1,685 06-18-2021, 10:54 AM
Last Post: sacredrain
Thumbs Up How do you list certificates on Resume and LinkedIn? Vle045 2 670 05-04-2021, 04:05 PM
Last Post: dfrecore