Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reimbursement - SL, Study.com, CLEP, etc
Hello forum

Is it possible to receive some type of employer reimbursement for the "credit by exam" courses (SL, SDC, CLEP, etc)? Usually a grade/percentage is given and most employers give some type of tuition reimbursement if its a C grade or higher but some include "...from an accredited institution". Not sure if there is a way to get around that. If not "tuition reimbursement", could it be under another type of allowable reimbursement that anyone is aware of?

I also believe I read somewhere on the forum that the "credit by exam" classes can't be used as tax deductions, does that still hold true?

Any info would be extremely helpful.

Thanks!
It really depends on your employer's policy; they are all different.

My husband, for instance, can get reimbursed for exams like CLEP/DSST, and ones from a school (UExcel, TECEP, CSU-Global), and even college-credit bearing courses (think Ed4Credit, Propero, etc.). But he can't get reimbursed for membership fees (so no SL or Study.com for him).

Other companies won't pay for anything except courses at "an accredited institution."

The one thing you MAY want to try, is to submit a package to your manager/HR department asking for an exemption; show 1) the catalog page from the school saying they will accept ACE/NCCRS recommended courses; 2) a printout of each course you want to take from the ACE/NCCRS website; 3) the cost to take the exact same courses from your local 2-yr or 4-yr school; 4) a spreadsheet showing how much it would save the company. I know that many companies have policies but might be flexible if they were able to save money; it certainly can't hurt to try.

If the answer is no, then you can pay on your own; there are many ways to get courses inexpensively (CLEP through Modern States is still free; ALEKS is $20/mo; Saylor is $25/exam; SL regularly has coupons). You can also go to WGU, with one term starting this year, and your 2nd term starting next year (so July 1 and Jan 1 for instance). That will get around any maximums your company will pay per year.

And no, there are no other reimbursements you can get.

And, credit by exam can't be used as tax deductions, because you can only deduct courses/exams taken at accredited institutions. But, you might be able to deduct TECEP/CSU-Global/UExcel exams, since those are taken at RA schools.

Don't forget that this year, the tax situation is different; the standard deduction was raised from $6,350 to $12,000, and most people won't meet that by itemizing, so it won't matter anyway.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • sburch1991
If they are accredited by ACE, isn't that good enough?

I was wondering about tuition reimbursement as well, claiming it on my taxes, although I am Canadian.

I assume I can claim the cornerstone course for 2018 from TESU, but wasn't sure about the alternative credits as well.
TESU BALS: Awarded June 2019
Credits:
TESU: LIB Capstone 3cr, Cornerstone 1cr 
Aleks: 3cr, Insurance Institute: 2cr NFA: 1cr 
Sophia: 2cr Straighterline: 48cr TEEX: 6cr 
Study.com: 18cr B&M: 77cr
Another thing to consider is that many tuition reimbursement plans treat it like a loan that gets excused until you stay at the company for a period of time after the reimbursement, typically 2 years or so. Think about that seriously before deciding to take lots of expensive college courses just because they are being reimbursed. You might end up happier paying out of pocket for alternative credit and feeling free to leave whenever you like.

(01-28-2019, 09:04 AM)zzzz24 Wrote: If they are accredited by ACE, isn't that good enough?

As @dfrecore said, some employers might be flexible, others will follow the letter of their policy.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 1 user Likes davewill's post:
  • sburch1991
(01-28-2019, 09:04 AM)zzzz24 Wrote: If they are accredited by ACE, isn't that good enough?

No courses are "accredited" by ACE, they are just ACE-approved.  ACE is not an accrediting body, and single courses can't be accredited.  Only schools can be accredited (or programs within a school, but that's not what tuition reimbursement programs are talking about).
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Currently, you can get 100% of your CLEP or AP exams AND testing center fees paid in full as long as you complete a free Modern States prep course. As such, even if you do have this type of benefit, save it for an exam that isn't already available for free like DSST or TECEP.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sophia English Comp II vs CLEP College Composition davemodular 15 941 04-09-2024, 01:33 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Current Study.com Coupon Codes pws 67 40,370 03-22-2024, 05:10 PM
Last Post: GoBroncos95
  calculating grade for study.com course Omece 9 1,601 03-20-2024, 08:49 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  The official guide to courses by Straighterline, Study, et al: We want YOUR input! aviator guy 378 468,524 03-18-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: RachelB
  Disappointed with Study.com (Discrete Mathematics) legenwait4itdary 6 754 03-08-2024, 08:41 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
  Study partner wanted, incentive offered Simerion 3 365 02-26-2024, 04:14 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Study.Com Upcoming changes to courses Vin 4 1,032 02-13-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  Study.com Statistics? rowan555 16 3,906 02-03-2024, 03:43 PM
Last Post: oh.golly.molly
  does felician college accept study.com credits? fraggle 4 593 01-31-2024, 03:47 PM
Last Post: indigoshuffle
  Study Managerial Accounting that Transfers to UMPI Indieblue 0 313 01-25-2024, 08:24 PM
Last Post: Indieblue