Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Union plus free BACHELOR's program(COVID-19)
Information 
As was shared a few years ago, many unions that are affiliated with AFL-CIO/Union Plus offer a free associates degree program(from EGCC) to union members, their families and even domestic partners:

https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...ight=union

In the wake of the current pandemic, they have TEMPORARILY expanded that benefit to include bachelor's degree programs(from Central State University):

https://bachelorsdegree.unionplus.org/?g...MEEALw_wcB

"In response to the current economic and health uncertainty, for a limited time, your union is offering this normally low-cost benefit completely for free! All students who begin or continue their academic program with the Summer term are eligible for a last-dollar scholarship, which allows students to complete their degree (through graduation) with no out-of-pocket cost for tuition, fees, or e-books. So, don't delay - enroll in the summer term today."

"Enroll By Summer Start Dates To Take Advantage Of This FREE Opportunity! "

It looks like the bachelor's programs currently only include education, criminal justice and business administration. Also, they're really expanded who's eligible to basically anyone related to a union member: "The Free College Benefit is open to union members in good standing, who are full dues-paying members or retiree members, and their families. Families are children (or stepchildren), grandchildren (or step-grandchildren), spouses, domestic partners, financial dependents, siblings and parents; including in-laws. Additional family members may qualify. Check with your union to confirm."

FAQs:

https://bachelorsdegree.unionplus.org/faqs/#/
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
[-] The following 2 users Like MNomadic's post:
  • 4252049, eriehiker
Does anybody have any kind of a road map or guidance for this program?

I signed up a family member who was hoping for a no-cost Associates program.  I was directed to apply to Central State University, which I did.  The acceptance email included this passage:

"If you do not have an associate degree in your requested major from an accredited institution, you may need to complete general education requirements and/or pre-requisite requirements.  You will have the option to do so through the Free College Program at Does anybody have any kind of a road map or guidance for this program?  I signed up a family member who was hoping for a no-cost Associates program.  I was directed to apply to Central State University, which I did.  The acceptance email included this passage:  "If you do not have an associate degree in your requested major from an accredited institution, you may need to complete general education requirements and/or pre-requisite requirements.  You will have the option to do so through the Free College Program at Eastern Gateway Community College".

I'm trying to figure out how this works.  Can you pursue an Associates at EGCC without CSU?  Does the no-cost option apply to EGCC, or would you have to take your gen eds at CSU?  Is that even an option?  Is it too late for the no-cost promotion?

Any info would be helpful.

Thanks!
(07-16-2020, 10:20 AM)ctcarl Wrote: Does anybody have any kind of a road map or guidance for this program?

I signed up a family member who was hoping for a no-cost Associates program.  I was directed to apply to Central State University, which I did.  The acceptance email included this passage:

"If you do not have an associate degree in your requested major from an accredited institution, you may need to complete general education requirements and/or pre-requisite requirements.  You will have the option to do so through the Free College Program at Does anybody have any kind of a road map or guidance for this program?  I signed up a family member who was hoping for a no-cost Associates program.  I was directed to apply to Central State University, which I did.  The acceptance email included this passage:  "If you do not have an associate degree in your requested major from an accredited institution, you may need to complete general education requirements and/or pre-requisite requirements.  You will have the option to do so through the Free College Program at Eastern Gateway Community College".

I'm trying to figure out how this works.  Can you pursue an Associates at EGCC without CSU?  Does the no-cost option apply to EGCC, or would you have to take your gen eds at CSU?  Is that even an option?  Is it too late for the no-cost promotion?

Any info would be helpful.

Thanks!

I took a bunch of classes through EGCC when I was covered by a participating union (AFGE; I miss them). 

In short, your relative needs to start with EGCC, it sounds like. Here is a link for general program info: https://www.egccfreecollege.org/

There is a link on the page above to request info, but you don’t really have to do that. If you/your family member know you qualify, know what program of study you/they want, just go straight here: https://www.egccfreecollege.org/steps-to-enrollment/

This program has been going on for years and seems to only be getting stronger.  What is new/different and likely will go away is the free bachelor’s programs through Central State University. The Union Plus partnership program was offering a discounted bachelors program through Central State (although it was too limited and expensive before the COVID related change to free, IMHO).
https://www.unionplusfreecollege.org/

The free bachelor's program (which is still going on) is only for people who have an associate's or 60 transfer credits. So if you don't have 60 credits, you'd do the egcc program first, which is also free. That's how I understand it.

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
How does this work? My step dads Union is affiliated, I’d love to get started ASAP!
(07-16-2020, 01:33 PM)Erikabol Wrote: How does this work? My step dads Union is affiliated, I’d love to get started ASAP!
Did you check any of the links?

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
CSM(3cr)
(07-16-2020, 12:45 PM)freeloader Wrote: I took a bunch of classes through EGCC when I was covered by a participating union (AFGE; I miss them). 

In short, your relative needs to start with EGCC, it sounds like. Here is a link for general program info: https://www.egccfreecollege.org/

There is a link on the page above to request info, but you don’t really have to do that. If you/your family member know you qualify, know what program of study you/they want, just go straight here: https://www.egccfreecollege.org/steps-to-enrollment/

This program has been going on for years and seems to only be getting stronger.  What is new/different and likely will go away is the free bachelor’s programs through Central State University. The Union Plus partnership program was offering a discounted bachelors program through Central State (although it was too limited and expensive before the COVID related change to free, IMHO).

All clear now. Thanks very much!
I just found this thread, it looks pretty nice.

It is posible to just take a few courses with them??
BSBA: 70% completed (84 credits of 120)
I dont think it apply to foreign students

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Free Coursera for Californians ashkir 8 2,914 04-17-2024, 09:49 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Free cybersecurity training course, entry level cert, and candidate status through is MNomadic 18 4,020 04-13-2024, 03:50 AM
Last Post: sanantone
  Free CUNY 1-credit course - “Bridges to Health Careers/Emerging Trend in Healthcare” ctcarl 9 2,204 02-27-2024, 05:20 PM
Last Post: jch
  University of South Carolina - Free Certificates in Hospitality Management Maniac Craniac 5 1,534 02-15-2024, 12:56 AM
Last Post: BadSquirrelBeta
  Resource: spreadsheet of free courses from Ivy League universities NatsNerd 3 660 02-09-2024, 06:05 PM
Last Post: NatsNerd
  Rutgers - Free Certificate in Leadership & No-Blame Problem Solving Maniac Craniac 5 1,796 02-05-2024, 05:08 AM
Last Post: Ares
  Free Community Health Worker certificate at Berkeley City College staceydiane 12 2,099 02-01-2024, 02:16 PM
Last Post: staceydiane
  Free Certificate in Public Health Practice (w/6 course completion certs) Maniac Craniac 10 1,821 01-30-2024, 05:42 AM
Last Post: MFG
  HP & EdX - FREE Professional Certificate in Esports Mgmt, Game Design & Programming Maniac Craniac 11 1,222 01-22-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Free Coding Certificate + Stipend TINASAM 0 586 01-14-2024, 09:05 AM
Last Post: TINASAM