Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Univ of Staffordshire UK - Distance Learning
Hey all, I was looking at this university and noticed they have distance learning courses that lead to undergrad or graduate degrees, and the degree that hit me is their MPhil/Ph.D. in Computer Science with a duration of 4 years for both degrees, at a cost of $4327/year UK Pounds or roughly $5355 USD/year. (EU and International students have the same fee for some programs!)  

For those who can't finish the courses as that is a full-time 4-year program, then the part-time 6-year program will do, the cost is slightly different at $2163/year UK Pounds or roughly $2675 USD/year (again, EU & International students are the same fees).  Note: These are the two Pgr programs I searched for, they have other Postgrad (Research or Taught) programs...

Univ of Staffordshire Link: https://www.staffs.ac.uk/courses/distance-learning
6 year part-time MPhil/Ph.D. Link: https://www.staffs.ac.uk/course/SSTK-12356.jsp
4-year full-time MPhil/Ph.D. CS Link: https://www.staffs.ac.uk/course/SSTK-12355.jsp
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 2 users Like bjcheung77's post:
  • alab21, SteveFoerster
(04-08-2020, 03:16 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Hey all, I was looking at this university and noticed they have distance learning courses that lead to undergrad or graduate degrees, and the degree that hit me is their MPhil/Ph.D. in Computer Science with a duration of 4 years for both degrees, at a cost of $4327/year UK Pounds or roughly $5355 USD/year. (EU and International students have the same fee for some programs!)  

For those who can't finish the courses as that is a full-time 4-year program, then the part-time 6-year program will do, the cost is slightly different at $2163/year UK Pounds or roughly $2675 USD/year (again, EU & International students are the same fees).  Note: These are the two Pgr programs I searched for, they have other Postgrad (Research or Taught) programs...

Univ of Staffordshire Link: https://www.staffs.ac.uk/courses/distance-learning
6 year part-time MPhil/Ph.D. Link: https://www.staffs.ac.uk/course/SSTK-12356.jsp
4-year full-time MPhil/Ph.D. CS Link: https://www.staffs.ac.uk/course/SSTK-12355.jsp

Staffordshire University is at the top of my list of affordable CS PhD programs. I really appreciate that it is a research-based degree and that you can earn a master's degree along the way. It's unfortunate that it isn't a top-rated CS program, but for the price, it is hard to beat.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
[-] The following 1 user Likes Merlin's post:
  • alab21
I'm currently looking at distance PhD programs and the part-time option here looks very interesting.  

I am not looking to kill myself with classes again on top of a (more than) full time job, but taking the step into the next degree level is something I am interested in.  I get a yearly education reimbursement from my company and if I don't use it, I lose it.  Fortuitously enough, the yearly cost for this part-time program fits nicely under the dollar cap for that, so I could essentially get this for no out of pocket expense.

A couple of questions though (if anyone knows):
  1. Has anyone here had experience with Staffordshire University? 
  2. Are they a fully accredited institution (from a UK standpoint)?
  3. What is their reputation (Good, Bad, Meh, or Ugly)?
Thanks a lot in advance.
---
In Progress:
Considering J.D.

Completed:
Harvard University Extension School (HES) - Master of Liberal Arts (ALM), Information Management Systems
Harvard University Extension School (HES) - Graduate Certificate, Cybersecurity 
Thomas Edision State University (TESU) - B.A. Social Science
(04-09-2020, 01:13 PM)MisterE Wrote: I'm currently looking at distance PhD programs and the part-time option here looks very interesting.  

I am not looking to kill myself with classes again on top of a (more than) full time job, but taking the step into the next degree level is something I am interested in.  I get a yearly education reimbursement from my company and if I don't use it, I lose it.  Fortuitously enough, the yearly cost for this part-time program fits nicely under the dollar cap for that, so I could essentially get this for no out of pocket expense.

Thanks a lot in advance.

1. Not me.
2. Yes.
3. If you take UK league tables seriously, then apparently middle of the pack.
BS, Information Systems concentration, Charter Oak State College
MA in Educational Technology Leadership, George Washington University
18 doctoral level semester-hours in Business Administration, Baker College
In progress: EdD in Educational Leadership, Manhattanville College

More at https://stevefoerster.com
[-] The following 1 user Likes SteveFoerster's post:
  • MisterE
1. Personally, I haven't taken courses at Staffordshire University yet, so I can't comment on the experience.
For myself, as I don't have tuition assistance, I'm looking for cheap/easy/fast & value (good ROI in the future)

2. They're fully accredited in the UK, some national rankings have them at 37 & 53, world ranking in the 800's.
So, technically, they are in the top 1000 uni's in the world, an example of the Big 3 - none are even on the list.

3. Reputation seems "good enough" for me, 37-58 out of 131 UK schools, a little above the middle of the pack.
I've seen them ranked just under Coventry/FutureLearn in the UK that offers degrees, but much more expensive.

Take a look at Masters by MOOC, coursera, edx, futurelearn, udacity, upgrad all offer them at a steep discount.
Here's an example ranking for 2020, http://www.studyin-uk.ca/uk-study-info/u...-rankings/

Update Note: They ranked 9th out of 133 UK universities as a Top Research Univ here: https://www.staffs.ac.uk/news-archive/st...297070.jsp
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • MisterE
(04-09-2020, 04:36 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: 1. Personally, I haven't taken courses at Staffordshire University yet, so I can't comment on the experience.
For myself, as I don't have tuition assistance, I'm looking for cheap/easy/fast & value (good ROI in the future)

2. They're fully accredited in the UK, some national rankings have them at 37 & 53, world ranking in the 800's.
So, technically, they are in the top 1000 uni's in the world, an example of the Big 3 - none are even on the list.

3. Reputation seems "good enough" for me, 37-58 out of 131 UK schools, a little above the middle of the pack.
I've seen them ranked just under Coventry/FutureLearn in the UK that offers degrees, but much more expensive.

Take a look at Masters by MOOC, coursera, edx, futurelearn, udacity, upgrad all offer them at a steep discount.
Here's an example ranking for 2020, http://www.studyin-uk.ca/uk-study-info/u...-rankings/

Update Note: They ranked 9th out of 133 UK universities as a Top Research Univ here: https://www.staffs.ac.uk/news-archive/st...297070.jsp

Thanks for that ranking link.  I'm also considering Heriot-Watt for their MBA and nice to see how they ranked as well (#33 on that list).

I've gone ahead and reached out to the university for more information on the distance PhD program and will post back to this thread if I receive anything interesting back from them.
---
In Progress:
Considering J.D.

Completed:
Harvard University Extension School (HES) - Master of Liberal Arts (ALM), Information Management Systems
(04-09-2020, 01:13 PM)MisterE Wrote: I'm currently looking at distance PhD programs and the part-time option here looks very interesting.  

Thanks a lot in advance.

1. I went to Staffordshire University in the mid to late 1990s to do my Batchelors, back when tuition was paid for by the government. It was a perfectly respectable university, with a pretty good quality of teaching. It's in Stoke-on-Trent, which is an awful town to live in (it was bearable when I was a student due to the large student union with very cheap beer, which is all I was really interested in back then), but if you're doing distance learning, then that doesn't matter.  I can assure you it's a real place, I lived in Leek Road halls for two years, and I was treasurer of the Parachute Club.

2. All UK universities are accredited by the UK government, 'university' is a protected term and you aren't allowed to call yourself a university without permission from the government.

3. I thought is was pretty average when I applied, as I didn't do very well in my A-levels (undiagnosed ADHD). I ended up doing a slightly obscure course and almost everyone else on it had A's at A-level, and it was their first choice of university.

Also I should point out that this isn't really a Master's AND a Doctorate, this is the same with most UK research doctorates, you can either attain the MPhil and then drop out of the course, or go on to complete it and get the full PhD, it depends on how well you do at it, or how much time you want to spend on it.

Nobody calls themself an MPhil AND a PhD, if you complete the course, you just call yourself a PhD.
[-] The following 1 user Likes potnoodle's post:
  • MisterE
(04-11-2020, 01:17 PM)potnoodle Wrote:

Thanks a lot in advance.

1. I went to Staffordshire University in the mid to late 1990s to do my Batchelors, back when tuition was paid for by the government. It was a perfectly respectable university, with a pretty good quality of teaching. It's in Stoke-on-Trent, which is an awful town to live in (it was bearable when I was a student due to the large student union with very cheap beer, which is all I was really interested in back then), but if you're doing distance learning, then that doesn't matter.  I can assure you it's a real place, I lived in Leek Road halls for two years, and I was treasurer of the Parachute Club.

2. All UK universities are accredited by the UK government, 'university' is a protected term and you aren't allowed to call yourself a university without permission from the government.

3. I thought is was pretty average when I applied, as I didn't do very well in my A-levels (undiagnosed ADHD). I ended up doing a slightly obscure course and almost everyone else on it had A's at A-level, and it was their first choice of university.

Also I should point out that this isn't really a Master's AND a Doctorate, this is the same with most UK research doctorates, you can either attain the MPhil and then drop out of the course, or go on to complete it and get the full PhD, it depends on how well you do at it, or how much time you want to spend on it.

Nobody calls themself an MPhil AND a PhD, if you complete the course, you just call yourself a PhD.

Thank you.  

I'm just interested in the full PhD program so the extra MPhil along the way is neither here nor there.  Smile
---
In Progress:
Considering J.D.

Completed:
(04-11-2020, 01:38 PM)MisterE Wrote: I'm just interested in the full PhD program so the extra MPhil along the way is neither here nor there.  Smile

Most people who apply to a PhD program are there to attain a PhD degree. However, it doesn't always work out that way. People fail to complete PhD programs for a lot of different reasons. The most common is failing the Q, A, and B Exams. Not all degree programs require Q and A exams and will combine the two together.
  • The Q Exam (or Qualifying Exam/Admissions Candidacy Exam) is usually a written exam, but can be waived in lieu of a publishable quality journal article. It is there to provide evidence of readiness for future doctoral study. It is usually taken after completing the taught part of the curriculum.
  • The A Exam (or Preliminary Exam) is your dissertation proposal. It usually requires both an oral exam and a written proposal. Passing the A exam means the graduate faculty believes you're ready to begin your dissertation.
  • The B Exam (or Final Exam) is the oral defense of your dissertation.
You usually won't earn the PhD until you complete the B exam and publish your dissertation. If you fail to publish, you fail to earn the degree.

Regardless of why you failed to complete the degree, if you've reached the Q or A Exam level you may still be awarded a master's degree for the earlier work you have completed.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
[-] The following 1 user Likes Merlin's post:
  • MisterE

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NAU Personalized Learning Master of Organizational Leadership Jonathan Whatley 11 1,582 12-14-2023, 11:46 AM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  NAU MOL degree personalized learning Ebroady23 8 813 11-07-2023, 04:40 PM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  Walden University MS-Psychology Tempo Learning Supermind 44 10,145 12-28-2022, 06:55 PM
Last Post: Supermind
  Looking for a scholarship that would cover for distance learning expenses blablablox 5 889 11-15-2022, 10:23 PM
Last Post: thodeptrai
  Walden Tempo Learning - CBE Price Increase March 2022 bjcheung77 1 1,131 12-26-2021, 11:11 PM
Last Post: GoodYellowDogs
  MIT's Masters in System Design & Management via... distance learning (YEAH THAT MIT) nyvrem 4 1,151 09-02-2021, 12:17 PM
Last Post: Pats20
  Walden Tempo Learning - June 7, 2021 Start - MBA FREE Term bjcheung77 17 2,778 07-15-2021, 10:09 AM
Last Post: jsd
Tongue Walden Tempo Learning - MS Human Resource Management bjcheung77 4 1,212 05-24-2021, 03:49 AM
Last Post: Muldoon
  Health Infrastructures & Learning Systems Alpha 0 656 04-23-2021, 06:43 AM
Last Post: Alpha
  Univ of Sunderland UK Masters - Online bjcheung77 5 2,465 03-22-2021, 04:26 PM
Last Post: arad