Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
American Sterling Uni - Online MBA - $1050 USD
(05-31-2021, 09:30 AM)Johann Wrote: Sorry. Many people DO make the error of confusing State Approval with State Licensed, authorized etc. That's what I thought you were doing, when you wrote State Approved. They are DEFINITELY two different processes. California has had both a State Approved and State Authorized system, for unaccredited schools, at different times. For example, I believe the well-known, long-defunct California Pacific U. operated under both schemes at different times. 

Some readers view State Approved as a separate tier, below "accredited" and at the higher end of "unaccredited" - schools awarding degrees with at least some legitimacy - above those schools which have simply purchased a license and can legally award degrees without academic oversight (or any real standing,) as long as they follow the State's consumer protection laws, or whatever their license demands. The State Approved status has existed, e,g. California -- but it's relatively rare and IS separate from ordinary State permission, via registration or a license.

Other readers interchange the terms licensed, authorized with "State Approved" and treat them all as one. mixing the terms. They are not the same.

I apologize for thinking you might have ignored this difference. I think we might well have readers who perhaps  do NOT know this distinction and perhaps now some of them might be more aware. Again, sorry for jumping the gun.

I appreciate that, I'm not upset or anything though, lol. I just try to avoid the specifics because it's hard to remember off-hand which states use which terms/processes which leads to the chore of looking it up each time a different state is mentioned, and of course Virginia is a state that uses the term "certification" for some school types and they're not the only state with its own unique quirks, so that stretches things out even more.

If we take each term used by each state and examine the processes of each there are certainly going to be differences, no disagreement there, but the end-goal of allowing or disallowing a school to legally operate as a school in a given state is essentially the same in each even when the processes and terminologies used are different.
Furthermore, for those looking at state approved/authorized institutions, I would highly recommend looking for alternatives first, until or unless these type of institutions receive National or Regional Accreditation. I've never attended just a state approved/authorized institution, but have gone to a couple NA/RA schools that "shut down" while I was there... Just to be safe, you should go the NA/RA route after you do the research!
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • Johann
(05-31-2021, 11:03 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Furthermore, for those looking at state approved/authorized institutions, I would highly recommend looking for alternatives first, until or unless these type of institutions receive National or Regional Accreditation.  I've never attended just a state approved/authorized institution, but have gone to a couple NA/RA schools that "shut down" while I was there... Just to be safe, you should go the NA/RA route after you do the research!

Agree completely, Bryan. If you NEED accreditation (and most students do) then there is NO substitute. I'd also say, be particularly aware of new schools - especially US startups with UK ASIC accreditation, which is window-dressing here - meaningless in terms of CHEA or USDoE recognition. Often these schools say they're going to apply for DEAC accreditation. Some might do so, eventually, some might not. 

But...do you know how many schools with ASIC alone have actually attained DEAC or other US recognized accreditation? Not One. Ever. Must go now -- quiet time with the new Russian girlfriend I mentioned. (I wish!) До свидания (Goodbye)  Smile

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  American College of Education - Master's ashkir 1 73 1 hour ago
Last Post: Vle045
  MBA from Hellenic American University (HAU) allvia 113 16,727 4 hours ago
Last Post: bjcheung77
  List of Cheap Online MBA Programs That Can Be Completed in Under 1 Year LevelUP 32 18,601 5 hours ago
  Gardner-Webb University: 10-12 month online MBA? PaperAssistant 7 314 04-18-2024, 10:33 PM
  New Zealand Online Degrees doyouhowdo1 1 363 03-31-2024, 10:46 AM
Thumbs Up Master in Sustainable Transition - Germany (No Tuition Fee, English, Online Program) kumamon 2 644 03-27-2024, 11:03 PM
Last Post: armado
  Czech 100% online MBA and DBA for 3k/5k David1477 7 551 03-25-2024, 08:34 PM
  New Purdue (Main) online masters in AI smartdegree 7 717 03-20-2024, 04:08 PM
  American Institute of Law - My Journey AnonJD2027 14 2,169 03-19-2024, 04:01 PM
Last Post: JazzMac
  Cheap Online Software Engineering Masters? yellow_gambit 4 404 03-17-2024, 11:58 PM
Last Post: nyvrem