Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
University of Arkansas At Little Rock's Ph.D. in Computer and Information Sciences
Information 
We have been joined by the program coordinator for the Information Science track of UA Little Rock's Ph.D. in Computer and Information Sciences.  

@IStrack has offered to answer any questions we may have about the program. 

Thank you, @IStrack!
Thanks for doing this, @IStrack!

It seems pretty obvious that the name of the degree (on transcript and diploma) is "Ph.D. in Computer and Information Sciences," but there was some confusion on this board earlier with claims that for some reason the transcript will give the emphasis/track name instead (i.e "Ph.D. in Information Quality" or "Ph.D. in Information Science").

Can you clarify what is listed on the diploma/transcript for us?
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
[-] The following 1 user Likes jsd's post:
  • Life_One
Couple of questions:
1.) Are there any assistantship or TA options for remote students?
2.) Is a GRE waiver available ?
3.) This looks similar to many schools Data science phd options, would that be a fair assessment?
a.) Is the degree more math centered or more programming-centric?
4.) Outside of your area, but are there any plans to offer the Comp sci phd at distance?
Thanks for reaching out, the programming looks very interesting to say the least.
Currently studying for: Still deciding.

Done!
2020 - Harvard Extension School - ALM IT Management 
2019 - Harvard Extension School - Graduate Certificate Data Science
2018 - Harvard Extension School - Graduate Certificate Cyber Security
2016 - WGU - MBA Mgmt & Strategy
2015 - Thomas Edison State College - BSBA Marketing & CIS
[-] The following 2 users Like mednat's post:
  • Life_One, verenaf
(12-19-2018, 11:20 AM)jsd Wrote: Hi All,

> It seems pretty obvious that the name of the degree (on transcript and diploma) is "Ph.D. in Computer and Information Sciences,"

Yes. 

> but there was some confusion on this board earlier with claims that for some reason the transcript will give the emphasis/track name instead (i.e "Ph.D. in Information Quality" or "Ph.D. in Information Science").

To be honest, I don't know if the track is listed. I doubt it would be on the diploma but it might be on the official transcript. I can find out if it's critical (although the university is about to close until Jan., so there's that). In my judgment the important thing is the name of the degree, and it's important for a degree in computing to be "Computer and Information Science" or a common variation thereof. That's why we changed it away from the earlier "Integrated Computing" which was a politically expedient name at the time but not ideal.

> Can you clarify what is listed on the diploma/transcript for us?

Hope that helps but I can find out more as needed. Note that there are three tracks we offer: Computer Science, Information Science, and Information Quality. CS is not offered online, but IS and IQ are available online.

(12-19-2018, 12:10 PM)mednat Wrote: Hello Again Folks,

> Couple of questions:
> 1.) Are there any assistantship or TA options  for remote students?  

In theory, yes. In practice, I really doubt it. But you can contact individual professors to ask.

> 2.) Is a GRE waiver available ?

In many cases we are willing to look at the application without GRE scores. The trick is getting your application out of the central office and to the program staff without what the central office feels is a "required part of the application in order to send it to the program staff." Contact the overall program coordinator for details (see https://ualr.edu/computerscience/prospec...-programs/).

> 3.) This looks similar to many schools Data science phd options, would that be a fair assessment?

I would really hesitate to claim that. We don't call it a "Data Science Track" after all! But we do offer a 4-course graduate certificate in data science.

>   a.) Is the degree more math centered or more programming-centric?

To me, it is not math-centric and the programming portion is there but not a focus. See https://ualr.edu/catalog1718/graduate-catalog/eit/cis/ for many more details!

> 4.) Outside of your area, but are there any plans to offer the Comp sci phd at distance?
> Thanks for reaching out, the programming looks very interesting to say the least.

I'd have to say that's up to the CS department. They're in transition now, shorthanded and searching for new faculty. So there will be new blood soon, which is good, but I would guess going online is not a priority for them right now.

Again, hope this helps and a great evening to all!
[-] The following 5 users Like IStrack's post:
  • jsd, Life_One, mednat, Merlin, verenaf
(12-19-2018, 04:47 AM)verenaf Wrote: We have been joined by the program coordinator for the Information Science track of UA Little Rock's Ph.D. in Computer and Information Sciences.  

Thank you, @IStrack!

Thanks @verenaf for starting this thread.

To my knowledge, the online program is the same as its on campus version but @IStrack can confirm this. Most (if not all) of the classes are shared between on campus and online students.
[-] The following 1 user Likes louisr's post:
  • verenaf
(12-19-2018, 10:54 PM)louisr Wrote:
(12-19-2018, 04:47 AM)verenaf Wrote: We have been joined by the program coordinator for the Information Science track of UA Little Rock's Ph.D. in Computer and Information Sciences.  

Thank you, @IStrack!

Thanks @verenaf for starting this thread.

To my knowledge, the online program is the same as its on campus version but @IStrack can confirm this. Most (if not all) of the classes are shared between on campus and online students.

Yes, the programs are the same. However, there are classes that exist on campus but are not offered online. Nevertheless, we have committed to offering enough courses online to meet the program requirements.
I have more information about this program:

1. If you have a technical master's degree, you may be able to use 4 courses as electives.

2. You must publish in 1 approved journal to graduate-but there are lots of research opportunities even for remote students

3. GRE waivers are possible

4. Must have qualifying exam at least 1 term before proposal and must defend dissertation at least 7 months after proposal.

5. Same diploma on campus and online.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Central Arkansas Leadership PhD, $20.5k freeloader 5 1,097 03-26-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Virginia University of Lynchburg Accreditation on Warning Jonathan Whatley 22 2,365 03-20-2024, 07:56 PM
Last Post: Dr_Chirp
  DBA from Prague University of Economics and Business, 15k Euro durain 6 802 03-17-2024, 12:07 PM
  Golden Gate University or Apollos DBA? kb24bi8 39 3,822 02-22-2024, 10:34 PM
Last Post: quanticmba
  Philosophy PhD by Thesis ~ USD $20K from Staffordshire University UK MFG 2 385 01-26-2024, 09:25 AM
Last Post: Imbanewbie
  European International University basu888 47 15,333 01-21-2024, 01:46 PM
Last Post: eLearner
  Westcliff University DBA - RA, ACBSP for $16.5k armado 4 517 01-18-2024, 10:34 PM
Last Post: armado
  Doctor of Forensic Sciences sanantone 4 1,188 12-29-2023, 12:26 PM
  New Mexico Tech PhD in Computer Science Jonathan Whatley 1 385 12-29-2023, 12:22 PM
  Online MS Biological Sciences - 8 Months - Automatic Admission to Medical School Captainrekt000 4 506 12-07-2023, 04:20 PM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley