Poll: If an in-person degree is a 7 on a scale of 1 to 10, where do you rate an onliine degree from a similar institution?
This poll is closed.
3.70%
1 3.70%
0%
0 0%
0%
0 0%
0%
0 0%
11.11%
3 11.11%
14.81%
4 14.81%
40.74%
11 40.74%
11.11%
3 11.11%
7.41%
2 7.41%
11.11%
3 11.11%
Total 27 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
University of California System Bans Fully Online Degrees
(02-28-2023, 12:08 AM)ss20ts Wrote:
(02-27-2023, 09:49 PM)Insert Name Wrote: Living in California, my guess is that it is a community driven decision. I can think of 3 UCs off the top of my head where the school basically is the town’s economy, then you throw in the fact that since Covid, even the CC parking lots are empty because people are switching to online courses even at B&M schools, and you get failing economies. This rule would force people to at a minimum, commute to the school for 2 semesters. Again, just my guess.

The smart ones will seek out online programs and attend them. There's a reason WGU and SNHU are so successful.
That depends. A lot of factors to think about.

This is just for UCs, right? I didn’t see any mention of CSUs.
Old Salt w/ New Papers
Pierpont: AAS BOG BUSINESS FOCUS 8/5/22
Excelsior: BS NUCLEAR ENGINEERING TECHNOLOGY 10/21/22
I think it's worth noting that the change itself is fairly benign. Six quarter credits for three quarters is only 18 quarter or 12 semester credits, not a significant number, really. It's nowhere near a full-time schedule. What's really more interesting are the reasons that they felt so compelled to do it, especially on a system-wide basis.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
(02-27-2023, 09:49 PM)Insert Name Wrote: Living in California, my guess is that it is a community driven decision. I can think of 3 UCs off the top of my head where the school basically is the town’s economy, then you throw in the fact that since Covid, even the CC parking lots are empty because people are switching to online courses even at B&M schools, and you get failing economies. This rule would force people to at a minimum, commute to the school for 2 semesters. Again, just my guess.

I agree that it is more likely about (local) economics than anything. People who attend a school campus contribute more to the local economy - and not just in the short term (duration of the degree), but many graduates tend to stay local to where they went to school.  So, if you're from the east coast and your dream was to attend UCLA (for example) there is a good change if you do actually attend you will likely stay in CA to work and live. I agree that online degrees will become more an more popular, but with the increase of work from home options on the rise since the pandemic HCOL regions of the country have less options to draw (& keep) qualified, often well paid, people in an area. There is a connection to a school, its location, the culture, etc that attending on campus (even if limited) an exclusively online experience cannot match.
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

(02-28-2023, 11:44 AM)allvia Wrote:

I agree that it is more likely about (local) economics than anything. People who attend a school campus contribute more to the local economy - and not just in the short term (duration of the degree), but many graduates tend to stay local to where they went to school.  So, if you're from the east coast and your dream was to attend UCLA (for example) there is a good change if you do actually attend you will likely stay in CA to work and live. I agree that online degrees will become more an more popular, but with the increase of work from home options on the rise since the pandemic HCOL regions of the country have less options to draw (& keep) qualified, often well paid, people in an area. There is a connection to a school, its location, the culture, etc that attending on campus (even if limited) an exclusively online experience cannot match.

I agree. What’s insulting is their condescending knock on online learning. Just come out and say exactly as you said if that’s their concern. Say we need our students eating at the local restaurants, spending their incomes and living in our communities. We don’t want to offer a good reasonably priced education to outsiders that aren’t going to contribute to our local economies. Nuff said. 

Smoke and Mirrors.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Pats20's post:
  • Guttation
Also recognize that this is the UC system they are speaking of. California has 3 tiers of public colleges; the UC system which are the larger research institutions, Cal-State which are typically non-research universities and the Community colleges.

Typically if you were headed for a research graduate program you wouldn't be looking to use a lot of "alternative" credit on your degree as your chances of say getting into UCLA for a genetics masters or phd would be less with a degree full of non-traditional courses.

I have no problem wanting to keep the standards more stringent at the UC level, there are plenty of other schools to chose from.
Okay that’s Understandable. But the topic was “fully online degrees” not alt credit. It is definitely Being more “stringent” on access for a significant portion of the population, “standards” wise is debatable.
Probably about that money especially for the local communities they reside in. The UC system is already horribly overpriced and expensive for residents and their online options aren't any cheaper. UCSD is the school closest to me and honestly they seem to be more interested in teaching everyone but the local community.
Pierpont BOG AAS: AOS Information Systems  - 2019
Forbes has entered the chat.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/dereknewton...ight-call/
Forbes Wrote:We don’t know whether an online course or degree is on par with an in-person one because no one has rigorously studied the question to a research standard, mostly because doing so is both incredibly complicated and time consuming.

lol, University of Phoenix launched their first fully online degree in 1989. And long, long before online learning, we had other forms of distance learning. We've had plenty of time see the outcomes of online vs in-person programs.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
[-] The following 1 user Likes jsd's post:
  • rachel83az
(03-24-2023, 01:26 PM)jsd Wrote:
Forbes\ Wrote:We don’t know whether an online course or degree is on par with an in-person one because no one has rigorously studied the question to a research standard, mostly because doing so is both incredibly complicated and time consuming.

lol, University of Phoenix launched their first fully online degree in 1989. And long, long before online learning, we had other forms of distance learning. We've had plenty of time see the outcomes of online vs in-person programs.
Yes. the commentator doesn’t even have a background in education.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  UVEG - Inexpensive Official Degrees in Mexico bjcheung77 13 1,506 7 hours ago
Last Post: Kab
Question How can I Study on my own pace and online like a european? justmemyself 6 258 03-25-2024, 09:14 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Prompt Engineering Course by Vanderbilt University on Coursera LevelUP 2 222 03-23-2024, 05:28 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Graham School - University of Chicago Charles Fout 12 1,610 03-22-2024, 07:19 AM
Last Post: Charles Fout
  Biochemistry online, no lab, and less than $500. GoodYellowDogs 11 10,141 03-20-2024, 04:16 PM
  The 100 Most Popular Accredited Online Colleges for 2024 LevelUP 2 206 03-20-2024, 05:47 AM
Last Post: nyvrem
  Online Ivy League degree programs that require less than a week on campus sanantone 27 5,451 03-16-2024, 06:22 AM
  Accounting courses from CPACredits.com/Upper Iowa University inor 22 1,547 03-15-2024, 05:30 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  American Public University? nomaduser 33 2,934 03-14-2024, 07:45 PM
Last Post: Charles Fout
  Eastern University Self-Paced online Degrees natshar 2 596 03-06-2024, 10:03 PM
Last Post: jumlouh