Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
University of Maine at Presque Isle
(09-09-2019, 01:31 AM)Stoic Wrote:
(09-08-2019, 11:30 PM)I Life Long Learning Wrote:
(09-08-2019, 11:29 PM)gams007 Wrote: This is simple just contact the school by phone and ask all this questions so we will be aware is this going to be the next BiG 4..

I also will call.
30 semester hours. 12 must be in your concentration or minor. 9 of them must be upper level.

The classes at UMPI are either extremely difficult full of papers and take a few months to finish, or very easy and could be finished in one week if you know the subject well already.

Nice people too. Their customer service is top notch! I got 12 credits from there, and 20 from HES throughout 2018.

I’m actually still enrolled at UMPI right now so if you guys have any questions shoot them over. Also, I think the school is more suited for someone that has about one year (or 2-3 terms if you have previous knowledge in accounting for example and you take the BLS accounting program) to get through the 30 credits of residency. We could think of it as a different option to WGU with less of a stigma since is tied to U of Maine.
Considering this program for liberalnstudues minor in education. How quickly did you earn 12 credits? If irs feasible to earn 12 credits per 8 weeks it would definitely be in the running for cost effectiveness to complete 3 sessions.
If it helps anyone, I can confirm they have no proctored exams. From admissions: “Lastly, our exams are not proctored in anyway. Most of them are project based so there would be no need for them to be proctored anyway. “

Sent from my iPhone using DegreeForum.net
BABA, New England College, 2019
[-] The following 2 users Like harrypotter's post:
  • alab21, Pikachu
(09-17-2019, 10:59 AM)harrypotter Wrote: If it helps anyone, I can confirm they have no proctored exams. From admissions: “Lastly, our exams are not proctored in anyway. Most of them are project based so there would be no need for them to be proctored anyway. “

Sent from my iPhone using DegreeForum.net

I just talked to someone. She stated most students start with 2 classes and see how they do and can add more as they complete classes. I have about 82 credits to transfer in and am wondering if I should do a couple straighterline courses to bring up closer to 90 and then attempt to bank out 30 credits in 4 terms. $4800 is less than the others. Would love know how difficult the classes are that are required in education minor.
[-] The following 1 user Likes desoren's post:
  • alab21
They're using a $2.2 million grant to develop computer science and health administration YourPace programs.

https://www.newscentermaine.com/article/...3c6072c898
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
[-] The following 1 user Likes sanantone's post:
  • harrypotter
(09-17-2019, 10:39 AM)desoren Wrote:
(09-08-2019, 11:29 PM)gams007 Wrote: This is simple just contact the school by phone and ask all this questions so we will be aware is this going to be the next BiG 4..

I also will call.
30 semester hours. 12 must be in your concentration or minor. 9 of them must be upper level.

The classes at UMPI are either extremely difficult full of papers and take a few months to finish, or very easy and could be finished in one week if you know the subject well already.

Nice people too. Their customer service is top notch! I got 12 credits from there, and 20 from HES throughout 2018.

I’m actually still enrolled at UMPI right now so if you guys have any questions shoot them over. Also, I think the school is more suited for someone that has about one year (or 2-3 terms if you have previous knowledge in accounting for example and you take the BLS accounting program) to get through the 30 credits of residency. We could think of it as a different option to WGU with less of a stigma since is tied to U of Maine.
Considering this program for liberalnstudues minor in education. How quickly did you earn 12 credits? If irs feasible to earn 12 credits per 8 weeks it would definitely be in the running for cost effectiveness to complete 3 sessions.
It depends So, for example the class I'm taking in accounting, required me to create 2 separate research papers on the accounting breakdowns of two corporations. This is certainly more time consuming than any other undergraduate Accounting course I have taken, because of their rubric. It's taken me the full 8 week semester to do it. But the French 101 class I just took was easy because I speak basic french, so I flew through it and did my final recorded voice speeches within a few days and got the credit. I also flew by through the communications courses. It's a mixed experience I think. You could maybe fly through a course that you know well in 3 days or take 2 months doing it.

I also thought about doing the education minor, but it requires 40 hours of fieldwork so that's a no no for me since my daily job keeps me busy and I just want a BA to check a box. It could benefit someone who's already a teacher though.
[-] The following 5 users Like Stoic's post:
  • BrighterFuture88, ivythrowaway, Life Long Learning, MrsBulletPoints, Pikachu
(10-19-2019, 11:10 PM)Stoic Wrote:
(09-17-2019, 10:39 AM)desoren Wrote:

I also will call.

It depends So, for example the class I'm taking in accounting, required me to create 2 separate research papers on the accounting breakdowns of two corporations. This is certainly more time consuming than any other undergraduate Accounting course I have taken, because of their rubric. It's taken me the full 8 week semester to do it. But the French 101 class I just took was easy because I speak basic french, so I flew through it and did my final recorded voice speeches within a few days and got the credit. I also flew by through the communications courses. It's a mixed experience I think. You could maybe fly through a course that you know well in 3 days or take 2 months doing it.

I also thought about doing the education minor, but it requires 40 hours of fieldwork so that's a no no for me since my daily job keeps me busy and I just want a BA to check a box. It could benefit someone who's already a teacher though.

What Accounting class is it if you don't mind my asking? I was considering supplementing my degree plan with the Liberal Studies and Accounting minor and was wondering if this class is the one you're mentioning. I was considering having the Accounting minor just "to have" but not if it it will take up as much time as you're suggesting so can you please clarify? I'll be starting UMPI this month. You're the only other person I've seen on here doing it.
@ivythrowaway All the accounting classes are the same. It's all project based so expect to spend a lot of time in some form of a final paper to meet the competency. The classes are set up around papers as opposed to traditional final exams, and Accounting is no different. Expect to spend like a few days of concentration on those papers after you go through all the milestones and quizzes (or essays for certain classes) in between, if you want a good grade. But don't worry, there's nothing to it than to do it. It's a great program so far considering the cost.
(10-24-2019, 06:11 PM)Stoic Wrote: @ivythrowaway All the accounting classes are the same. It's all project based so expect to spend a lot of time in some form of a final paper to meet the competency. The classes are set up around papers as opposed to traditional final exams, and Accounting is no different. Expect to spend like a few days of concentration on those papers after you go through all the milestones and quizzes (or essays for certain classes) in between, if you want a good grade. But don't worry, there's nothing to it than to do it. It's a great program so far considering the cost.

Starting this Monday. Pretty sweet deal indeed. Given the cost to finish one of the "Big 3" I think this and WGU are the new top 3. For Accounting it seems like a new brainer, but that's not the major I selected in YourPace, considering taken the minor in it. I want a good grade, and the way the program is designed it seems very likely if you actually apply yourself. I'm planning to up the ante and try and get through no less than 15 credits, optimally 18 credits my first term. 

They also have no "post-enrollment transfer ban" so as long as you get 30 done in say 2-3 terms, you can transfer in whatever is missing. And the people are much much much more courteous/attentive than people at TESU.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ivythrowaway's post:
  • Pikachu
Writing papers on accounting sounds like torture. I don't see how that helps a student learn accounting skills.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
[-] The following 2 users Like sanantone's post:
  • harrypotter, Life Long Learning
(10-25-2019, 10:37 AM)sanantone Wrote: Writing papers on accounting sounds like torture. I don't see how that helps a student learn accounting skills.

More like analysis and breaking down the cash flow of companies etc with a few paragraphs explaining your approach. The courses that are in the humanities have papers. But yeah accounting is not fun, it’s hard. I’m just going to do the minor and get it over with.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Stoic's post:
  • ivythrowaway

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  University of the People Transfer Credits diaosteve 6 979 06-15-2022, 05:22 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  WES or WES + each university transcript Kab 1 542 01-22-2022, 04:37 PM
Last Post: rachel83az