Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
University of Maine at Presque Isle
(11-23-2019, 01:23 AM)MrsBulletPoints Wrote: I’m interested in this for my daughter.  A BALS with an Educational Studies minor might be a better solution for someone like my daughter whose PLA credits and capstone credits at TESU would be in the educational field. (She hasn't enrolled yet but has had the pre-enrollment academic evaluation.)

So, I'm going to present an option that I think would work for my daughter and others based on this thread and on the school’s website. Please correct me where I might be wrong.  (It's no longer adapted for someone with experience or credits in education and is interested in the cheapest, quickest route that's feasible and realistic. For us that means lots of FREE CLEP credits using Modern States.

Note: I started putting this together before I realized that you cannot find this info or any other info about it on the website via dropdown links. I followed a direct link (see below) to this page, which is still up, but I suspect won't be up long and that like the others, they are waiting on more info. So nere are some questions below that I don't know/can't find the answer to. The courses and their links on the UMPI page for this degree don't actually go to any course.

UMPI BA Liberal Studies w/ Educational Studies minor
Credit Requirements
·         40cr: General Education
·         21 cr from Core Educational courses
·         56cr: General Electives

This totals 117. I guess there is a 3 credit capstone or cornerstone or something. The Core Courses include upper level so I’m thinking that the minor credits required that are mentioned in this thread come from the list of required core educational courses. ???  

The 30cr residency requirement would be fulfilled with the 21 credits from the Core Educational Courses and 9 more credits including 3 credit capstone or something .

40cr General Ed:
·         6cr: UMPI 10cr: School transfers
·         10cr: PLA
·         24 30cr: CLEP / PLA

21cr Educational Minor Core Courses required (3cr each):
·         EDU 152: Intro to Education
·         EDU 153: Foundations of Education
·         EDU 210: Introduction to Pedagogy
·         EDU 302: Teaching & Learning in a Proficiency-Based System
·         EDU 305: Designing and Maintaining Effective Learning Environments
·         EDU 357: Children’s Literature
·         EDU 378: Creativity in the Classroom

56cr General  Electives
·         56cr: CLEP School transfers

3cr Requirement:
·         3cr: UMPI (Perhaps it’s a cornerstone or capstone)

Cost:
3 sessions @$1400 per 8-week session = $4200 in 24 weeks

Each course listed above lists a duration of 8 weeks, self-paced. But there is a note stating that time to complete varies by student.
Session One: 12 credits (6 core and 6 easy, e.g. Gen'l Ed)
Session Two: 9 credits (6 core and 3 easy, e.g. capstone)
Sesson Three: 9 credits (9 core)
(3 sessions = 24 weeks)

Hope this makes sense!

It is too late to edit my first post (#58) so I just edited here. My second post (#59) has the more up-to-date info.
Daughter 1: Completed: TESU BALS (CLEP, ALEKS, CollegePlus)
Daughter 2: Working on: TESU BA-LSSS
CLEP: 51 credits (Eng Comp Modular, Intro Soc, History of US I & II, Human Growth and Dev, Intro to Educational Psych, Social Sci and History, Western Civ I, Analyzing and Inter Lit, Prin of Marketing, Prin of Mgmt, French I & II)
Upcoming CLEPs: Colllege Math, Biology, Prin of Macroeconomics, Spanish I, Amer Govt
Planning to take/do: SDC, DSST
Me: UPenn BA Sociology (Many years ago, '89, and much debt at the time), Looking into debt-free distance MBA or other Master's
[-] The following 1 user Likes MrsBulletPoints's post:
  • indivinefavor
(11-25-2019, 11:10 PM)Life Long Learning Wrote: What makes the Big 3 the Big three is transferring in 114 of 120 credits.  You only need 6 SH from the Big 3. Big Grin   I bet UMPI requires 30 SH from them even after transferring in 120 outside Harvard credits?

My understanding is that there might be courses in your concentration that you would have to take. That's where they get you so to speak. But how many?  What if you have credit in those exact courses... I wonder. Huh 

I'm waiting for an email from them and hopefully that will clear up this question as well.
Daughter 1: Completed: TESU BALS (CLEP, ALEKS, CollegePlus)
Daughter 2: Working on: TESU BA-LSSS
CLEP: 51 credits (Eng Comp Modular, Intro Soc, History of US I & II, Human Growth and Dev, Intro to Educational Psych, Social Sci and History, Western Civ I, Analyzing and Inter Lit, Prin of Marketing, Prin of Mgmt, French I & II)
Upcoming CLEPs: Colllege Math, Biology, Prin of Macroeconomics, Spanish I, Amer Govt
Planning to take/do: SDC, DSST
Me: UPenn BA Sociology (Many years ago, '89, and much debt at the time), Looking into debt-free distance MBA or other Master's
[-] The following 1 user Likes MrsBulletPoints's post:
  • Life Long Learning
Just bringing this thread up a bit... there's not too much available on UMPI. I applied for admission to their BLS program with a minor in management. I have almost 200 credits...30 thru clep/dsst, some RA but many NA credits which they READILY ACCEPTED! Finally. In total, I transferred 145 credits. 

I still have to fulfill their 30 hr residency requirement. I have 4 courses left to take within my major (required by UMPI... must have 12 hours within your major to meet residency requirement. 9 of those 12 must be UL) and then take the remaining 6 gen ed/elective courses. School starts on 3/16/2020... wish me luck! Going to try and knock these 30 hrs out in 1 term... but since the term is only 8 wks...I might need 2. And the BLS has no capstone. I love the Big 3, but this was best option for me since they took most of my NA credits without even putting up a fight lol.
"Step forward into your life as you did when you were a child, when you believed anything was possible." 
- Vince Gowmon

TESU BALS...in process...Dec 2020 graduation...woohoo!

Completed:
TEEX (3 credits): Death Investigation Online
Sophia (29 credits): Psych, Sociology, Ancient Greek, Visual Comm, Project Mgmt, Essentials of Conflict, Developing Effective Teams, Art History I, Art History II, Conflict Resolution, Approaches to Studying Religions
Straighterline (15 Credits): Cultural Anthropology, Intro to Criminal Justice, Business Stats, Western Civ I, American Gov't
SDC (6 credits): Oral Communication and Information Literacy
CLEP (15 credits): A&I Literature, College Composition, Principles of Marketing             
DSST (18 credits): Here's to Your Health, Substance Abuse, Intro to World Religions, Environment & Humanity, Business Ethics & Society, HR Management
WGU (36 credits)
FEMA (38 credits)
NA credits (140 qtr hrs)
[-] The following 5 users Like indivinefavor's post:
  • Clepper43, harrypotter, Life Long Learning, Pikachu, ss20ts
(03-05-2020, 08:14 PM)indivinefavor Wrote: Just bringing this thread up a bit... there's not too much available on UMPI. I applied for admission to their BLS program with a minor in management. I have almost 200 credits...30 thru clep/dsst, some RA but many NA credits which they READILY ACCEPTED! Finally. In total, I transferred 145 credits. 

I still have to fulfill their 30 hr residency requirement. I have 4 courses left to take within my major (required by UMPI... must have 12 hours within your major to meet residency requirement. 9 of those 12 must be UL) and then take the remaining 6 gen ed/elective courses. School starts on 3/16/2020... wish me luck! Going to try and knock these 30 hrs out in 1 term... but since the term is only 8 wks...I might need 2. And the BLS has no capstone. I love the Big 3, but this was best option for me since they took most of my NA credits without even putting up a fight lol.

Ah yeah Awesome, that's great! I've looked at their programs before... It's one of a few competency based degree providers that's been popping up every now and then. I am looking for more Masters offerings, but this is great for Bachelors.

You're almost there, just 10 days or so before you begin! I see that program is a YourPace Competency based program, $1400 for 8 week terms or $2800 for two terms of 4 months and if it takes 3 terms to finish, it's just $4200 for the remainder of the entire degree.

I just have one question, which of the 4 minors are you doing within the Bachelors of Liberal Studies? Did you also take a look at the 3 concentrations they have for their Bachelors of Arts in Business Administration? If you did they take the same amount of credits for transfer, I would assume so eh?
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(03-05-2020, 08:43 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote:
(03-05-2020, 08:14 PM)indivinefavor Wrote: Just bringing this thread up a bit... there's not too much available on UMPI. I applied for admission to their BLS program with a minor in management. I have almost 200 credits...30 thru clep/dsst, some RA but many NA credits which they READILY ACCEPTED! Finally. In total, I transferred 145 credits. 

Ah yeah Awesome, that's great!  I've looked at their programs before...  It's one of a few competency based degree providers that's been popping up every now and then.  I am looking for more Masters offerings, but this is great for Bachelors.

You're almost there, just 10 days or so before you begin!  I see that program is a YourPace Competency based program,  $1400 for 8 week terms or $2800 for two terms of 4 months and if it takes 3 terms to finish, it's just $4200 for the remainder of the entire degree.  

I just have one question, which of the 4 minors are you doing within the Bachelors of Liberal Studies?  Did you also take a look at the 3 concentrations they have for their Bachelors of Arts in Business Administration?  If you did they take the same amount of credits for transfer, I would assume so eh?
I'm doing the Management Minor track. I did look at the Project Management minor since many of the courses overlap with the Management minor...but ultimately decided on Management. And yes, the Bachelor's in Business Admin was the first thing I looked at, but ultimately I chose the BLS only because when I first started at my RA school, I was a Criminal Justice major and I have a 100+ credits in that major. I did take some RA business courses, but not enough and it would have forced me to take more than the required 30 hours. The BLS allows for 62 electives, so most of my CJ courses went there. And I honestly just need to get this done and out the way. Business is still my primary focus, so once I'm done I'm going to apply for my MBA with WGU, Capella or maybe JFKU. All three have competency-based MBA programs. Not sure about JFKU, but there are several folks who've finished WGU and Capella MBA's in one term, two terms max. School starts Monday, 3/16/2020...woohoo!
"Step forward into your life as you did when you were a child, when you believed anything was possible." 
- Vince Gowmon

TESU BALS...in process...Dec 2020 graduation...woohoo!

Completed:
TEEX (3 credits): Death Investigation Online
Sophia (29 credits): Psych, Sociology, Ancient Greek, Visual Comm, Project Mgmt, Essentials of Conflict, Developing Effective Teams, Art History I, Art History II, Conflict Resolution, Approaches to Studying Religions
Straighterline (15 Credits): Cultural Anthropology, Intro to Criminal Justice, Business Stats, Western Civ I, American Gov't
SDC (6 credits): Oral Communication and Information Literacy
CLEP (15 credits): A&I Literature, College Composition, Principles of Marketing             
DSST (18 credits): Here's to Your Health, Substance Abuse, Intro to World Religions, Environment & Humanity, Business Ethics & Society, HR Management
WGU (36 credits)
FEMA (38 credits)
NA credits (140 qtr hrs)
Update: The Bachelor of Arts programs in History & Political Science and in Accounting have returned.

Still a great deal for people looking to get a CBE degree from a state school.
[-] The following 1 user Likes midnighttoil's post:
  • Clepper43
I think I'm going to go for that Political Science degree as a second Bachelor's. I love political science. Who knows...might help me transition into a government job with good retirement.
It's sort of confusing how they worded & published the "BA in History/Political Science". I just realized that these are 2 separate majors/degrees & not a combined degree.

Edit: looks like I’m wrong. Still a weird way to offer this degree.
BABA, New England College, 2019
(03-30-2020, 03:36 PM)harrypotter Wrote: It's sort of confusing how they worded & published the "BA in History/Political Science". I just realized that these are 2 separate majors/degrees & not a combined degree.

It is a combined degree, just with a choice of two different concentrations. You're getting history & political science classes either way, the concentration just gives you more of either one.
(03-30-2020, 08:20 PM)midnighttoil Wrote:
(03-30-2020, 03:36 PM)harrypotter Wrote: It's sort of confusing how they worded & published the "BA in History/Political Science". I just realized that these are 2 separate majors/degrees & not a combined degree.

It is a combined degree, just with a choice of two different concentrations. You're getting history & political science classes either way, the concentration just gives you more of either one.

Just to reinforce what you said, I emailed them to make sure. This was what I asked:

" Is the offering a degree a BA in 'History & Political Science' and the concentration is just in one or the other? Or are you choosing between two separate degrees? EITHER a BA in History OR a BA in Political Science?  
Can you clarify the situation?"

This was the response of the Professional Advisor for all YourPace students:

"Great question!  Students will pursue a degree in History and Political Science with a concentration in History or a Concentration in Political Science!" 

This is helpful as I might be able to find a better fit for History classes than PS classes.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  University of the People Transfer Credits diaosteve 6 1,007 06-15-2022, 05:22 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  WES or WES + each university transcript Kab 1 565 01-22-2022, 04:37 PM
Last Post: rachel83az