Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
University of Michigan's Coursera Degrees
I thought the goal of Coursera was to make education cheaper and more accessible. So, I cannot understand why University of Michigan feels the need to charge high tuition rates for degree programs hosted by a MOOC company that is simply going to run the same lecture videos over and over. These are the most expensive MOOC degree programs I've seen so far. 

Master of Applied Data Science
In-State: $923 per credit hour
Out-of-State: $1,243 per credit hour

https://www.coursera.org/degrees/master-...ence-umich

Master of Public Health 
In-State: $960 per credit hour
Out-of-State: $1060 per credit hour

https://www.coursera.org/degrees/mph-umich

They are expecting to offer scholarships to about half of the online data science students, but I don't know how much those scholarships typically are.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
(01-24-2019, 08:14 PM)sanantone Wrote: I thought the goal of Coursera was to make education cheaper and more accessible. So, I cannot understand why University of Michigan feels the need to charge high tuition rates for degree programs hosted by a MOOC company that is simply going to run the same lecture videos over and over. These are the most expensive MOOC degree programs I've seen so far. 

Master of Applied Data Science
In-State: $923 per credit hour
Out-of-State: $1,243 per credit hour

https://www.coursera.org/degrees/master-...ence-umich

Master of Public Health 
In-State: $960 per credit hour
Out-of-State: $1060 per credit hour

https://www.coursera.org/degrees/mph-umich

They are expecting to offer scholarships to about half of the online data science students, but I don't know how much those scholarships typically are.

What the heck???

I've been meaning to get in and study the new Coursera degrees- I've gotten various emails from them promoting the programs, but haven't bothered to look deeply. I can't imagine spending that kind of money just to use a MOOC as the portal- what am I missing??? Is there something that is a benefit to the user in some way that justifies the cost? Do they not offer these degrees online through the campus maybe - making this their online platform? Wow.
I can't imagine paying that kind of tuition, even for a master's. My master's tuition was higher than I wanted to pay and wasn't even near that cost. I'm just perplexed. The kind of ROI you'd need to justify the "investment" doesn't compute for me unless their graduates are all earning 6-figures.
RIDICULOUS!!

This is like that school offering for you to take SL courses for their own (expensive) tuition price, just to be able to get financial aid for them.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
I would think that using Coursera as their online platform would save money, and it probably does. They're just not passing on the savings to students. University of Pennsylvania, a private Ivy League, only charges $25k for their Coursera degree.

I know that University of Michigan is #4 in public health, but I couldn't spend that much on an MPH. My two master's and PhD will cost less than one of their master's degrees, and my degrees aren't even competency-based programs.

Georgia Tech and University of Texas are ranked high in the fields they're offering MOOC degrees in, and they're charging $10k and less.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
I think that they feel that they will be able to sell this to people in other parts of the world. The goal here is not to make these programs more affordable. They probably also want to target people in the tech. industry who want a U of M degree, but want to continue to live in California and Seattle.

I do think that U of M is making a mistake in terms of social justice. Within the State of Michigan, Michigan State is viewed as the college of rural areas and small towns. People will often belittle the college as a bunch of crazy liberals. At the very least, Michigan could have provided these programs to Michigan residents for $25,000.

If you think that you have the solutions that can make the world better, why not price them so that the world can become better?
I don't feel this program is competitive in price at all. There isn't a whole lot of MOOC based master in data science but it isn't a selling point eitheir.. altho on the same site, you also have Illinois CS in data science for 21k.

When you feel the need to put right next to the price that half of the students will receive a scholarship, it's a telling sign.
WGU MS ITM, 2021.
TESU BACS, 2020.
TESU BSBA, 2018.
TESU ASNSM in Computer Science, 2018.
----
UPenn MCIT (Accepted in 2018, not pursuing, see story here).
NAU MCIT (Accepted in 2018, not pursuing)
----
(01-25-2019, 12:10 PM)posabsolute Wrote: I don't feel this program is competitive in price at all. There isn't a whole lot of MOOC based master in data science but it isn't a selling point eitheir.. altho on the same site, you also have Illinois CS in data science for 21k.

When you feel the need to put right next to the price that half of the students will receive a scholarship, it's a telling sign.

It's funny because they said that the tuition is competitive, but I think they're almost twice as expensive as all the other Coursera and edX programs. They're four times as expensive as some of the programs.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
this is one of the downfalls of financial aid

universities know people can easily get it so the universities keep prices high
Having worked for a non-profit in the past and sat on the board at a different one, I can say that there is a considerable amount of groupthink in these scenarios.

All it takes is a closed room full of people with grandiose ideas to come up with a giant mistake like this.
Regis University, ITESO, Global MBA with a focus in Emerging Markets 4.0 GPA, Dual-university degree (Spanish/English) 
COSC BS, Business Admin

My BS Credits:
Spanish 80 | Humanities 67 | A & I Lit 72 | Sub Abuse 452 | Bus Ethics 445 | Tech Writ 62 | Math 53 | HTYH 454 | Am. Govt 65 | Env & Humanity 64 | Marketing 65 | Micro 61| Mgmt 63| Org Behavior 65| MIS 446|Computing 432 | BL II 61 | M&B 50 | Finance 411 | Supervision 437| Intro Bus. 439| Law Enforcement 63|  SL: Accounting I B | Accounting II C+| Macro A | ECE: Labor Relations A | Capstone: A| FEMA PDS Cert 
[-] The following 1 user Likes burbuja0512's post:
  • davewill
Coursera is a for-profit company, and the Regents of the University of Michigan is a government entity. There are many private nonprofits and public universities offering MOOC degrees for much less, so this is solely a Michigan issue.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Gardner-Webb University: 10-12 month online MBA? PaperAssistant 7 189 Yesterday, 10:33 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Kairos University Masters in Counseling Wnt2BLPC 9 706 Yesterday, 11:46 AM
Last Post: MichiganMax
  Has anyone tried recognizing ENEB/UC1 or UoPeople degrees in Australia? ecdw94 10 929 04-17-2024, 01:47 PM
Last Post: ecdw94
  MBA Student @ Eastern University – AMA klone 22 1,851 04-15-2024, 08:20 PM
Last Post: klone
  Opinions on Master's International University of Divinity isaachunter 19 6,097 04-14-2024, 07:55 AM
Last Post: isaachunter
  Fitchburg State University - MBA in Finance Spaceghost 7 492 04-06-2024, 01:04 PM
Star a JD for JSD: another Northwestern California University School of Law journey thread jsd 33 7,308 04-04-2024, 05:32 PM
Last Post: collegecareerstudent
  New Zealand Online Degrees doyouhowdo1 1 335 03-31-2024, 10:46 AM
  Apollos University - from show clause to closure details bjcheung77 4 365 03-28-2024, 12:40 AM
  Robert Cavelier University Journey armstrongsubero 26 1,635 03-19-2024, 05:30 PM
Last Post: eLearner