Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where did they go? Kids missing from public schools
Most students who are leaving the public system are going to online schools, private schools, or trying the homeschool option, and the few that go the GED route...  The article only illustrates 20 or so states, but in the figure/picture, it only shows 11 states.

Link: Thousands of kids are missing from school. Where did they go? (hechingerreport.org)
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
It's an extremely interesting situation, but I can't understand why they didn't go back to school and who is responsible in this case.
(02-16-2023, 10:05 AM)Caunce Wrote: It's an extremely interesting situation, but I can't understand why they didn't go back to school and who is responsible in this case.

Basically - because there are many, many parents who feel their kids' schools - or teachers - have become dysfunctional and do not educate, or in many instances, treat their children properly. Homeschooling has become a big thing. Really big. Over 3 million kids...
https://www.nheri.org/how-many-homeschoo...hool-year/
[-] The following 1 user Likes Johann's post:
  • TwinMom
There's no question that homeschooling has increased but that's not what the original article is about.  Kids that are being homeschooled are still registered students and their progress is tracked.  This article is referring to kids who are neither in school nor registered as homeschool students.  These are kids, of all ages, who are simply not getting an education of any sort.  It's bad for everyone., especially the kids.
[-] The following 2 users Like Alpha's post:
  • Johann, rachel83az
So public school teachers are burnt-out and quitting, students are also leaving, this won't end well.
[-] The following 4 users Like sialiblo's post:
  • collegecareerstudent, davewill, Johann, rachel83az
No, it won't.

Our schools have been used as a political punching bag for the last 40 years. When I was a kid, teachers were held in high regard, and having good schools was a point of public pride.

Now, for whatever reason, parents no longer seem to care about their kid's education. Is there anyone here whose parents would have allowed them to just drop out like this? Coupled with school administrations being less and less supportive of disciplinary efforts, teachers are finding that kids show up when they feel like it, and disrupt the class with no consequences. Having to deal with blatent disrespect and defiance is wearing down their resolve. The students who are really trying to learn also get fed up with it.

If I was raising school aged kids now, I'd be hard pressed NOT to send them to private schools...and I've believed all my life in public education.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 4 users Like davewill's post:
  • acamp, collegecareerstudent, Johann, rachel83az

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  American Public University? nomaduser 33 2,934 03-14-2024, 07:45 PM
Last Post: Charles Fout
Exclamation Schools that list A+'s on transcript in any way? JumbledSpirit 3 295 02-19-2024, 06:23 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Homeschooling Kids StoicJ 8 711 01-08-2024, 07:56 PM
Last Post: StoicJ
Question Extension Schools for Credit Transfer Tobutz 4 655 12-13-2023, 03:21 PM
Last Post: ReyMysterioso
  Switiching schools Joellem 14 787 09-27-2023, 10:22 AM
Last Post: Joellem
  Unaccredited degree assembled from courses at accredited schools elcastor21 1 370 09-26-2023, 12:07 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Masters in Public Admin Mike Williams 11 1,750 06-17-2023, 12:18 PM
Last Post: teejayb
  Top 10 Feeder Schools for 100 Tech Companies sanantone 13 3,480 12-30-2022, 03:07 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  Penn state's two law schools will be combined into a single law school Imbanewbie 0 495 12-01-2022, 09:50 AM
Last Post: Imbanewbie
  Accrediting Council for Independent College and Schools clep3705 60 7,261 10-07-2022, 06:06 PM
Last Post: Alpha