Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
University of Oklahoma Price College of Business - MS in Finance
I will utilize this thread to post information regarding the MS in Finance program in the Price College of Business at the University of Oklahoma. This is the first 8 week term and I am taking Financial Management and Financial Accounting. We utilize Canvas for everything such as discussion boards, homework, quizzes and exams. All of these are done asynchronously. For the live sessions we use Zoom and it is done synchronously. For Financial Management we have live session every Monday from 7 PM to 9 PM and for Financial Accounting we have live sessions every Thursday from 7 PM to 9 PM. So far the program is PHENOMENAL. The amount of reading seems tedious but the profresslrs are top notch. My Financial Management professor has his PhD from Texas Tech and my Financial Account professor has his MS and PhD from Stanford. As the program goes on, I will update and if anyone has any questions, I would be more than happy to answer them! Smile
Master of Science (M.S.) in Quantitative Management: Business Analytics (2023)
Duke University | The Fuqua School of Business

Master of Business Administration (M.B.A.) in Management (2019)
Southeastern Oklahoma State University | The John Massey School of Business

Bachelor of Science (B.S.) in Biology (2015)
East Central University | The College of Health Sciences

Accumulated Credit: Undergraduate - 126 Hours, Graduate - 83 Hours
[-] The following 2 users Like ThatBankDude's post:
  • MSK9, quigongene
Keep posting update about your journey. I love finance and I am current taking MBA in finance. I will see after my MBA. Should I take a PhD in finance? By the time past, I hope there will be more online courses for PhD.
NEXT: Considering DBA, DIT or PhD
In Progress: MSU MBA
                   Master in Project Management, University Isabel I / ENEB
                   Master in Big Data and Business Intelligent, University Isabel I, ENEB

Completed: WGU MS-CIA 2022
TEEX: Cybersecurity 101 (4), Cybersecurity 201 (3), Cybersecurity 301 (3)
Sophia: Accounting (3), Project Management (3) Principles of Finance (3) 
Coursera: Google IT Certification, and Google Project Management.

What's your total cost for this program?

This is a mark of quality:

"For the live sessions we use Zoom and it is done synchronously."

It's how the top brands approach online based education now in days.
(08-22-2019, 09:20 PM)Stoic Wrote: What's your total cost for this program?

The total cost of the program is a bit pricey at $31,000. However, like you stated, the quality is worth it for ME and the other 23 students in my cohort. 1 week in and it is a night and day difference in other online programs I have been in or heard of.

(08-22-2019, 09:50 PM)ThatBankDude Wrote:
(08-22-2019, 09:20 PM)Stoic Wrote: What's your total cost for this program?

The total cost of the program is a bit pricey at $31,000. However, like you stated, the quality is worth it for ME and the other 23 students in my cohort. 1 week in and it is a night and day difference in other online programs I have been in or heard of.

No worries. As soon as you mentioned live sessions with Zoom synchronously I could tell that it is quality and that's how Stanford, Harvard Extension, etc conduct their classes. I personally only respect online programs that use this type of format because it's just like a brick and mortar program and the student cannot hide. With that said.. quality is always worth the money. You can make the money, but cannot make the time wasted in non-quality offerings to just get a BS paper.

All the other programs online that just use Blackboard and ask you to post in some forum every week are money grabs in exchange of a paper. But that's just my opinion based on the 150+ credits I have.
Why is being just like brick and mortar a good thing at all, let alone a prerequisite for being anything but a cash grab?
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link
(08-23-2019, 12:58 AM)mysonx3 Wrote: Why is being just like brick and mortar a good thing at all, let alone a prerequisite for being anything but a cash grab?

In my opinion when it comes to distance education...

Small classes with Zoom meetings (this closely resembles brick and mortar) is how I personally learn best. Why? They put me on the spot, so I better know what I'm talking about in those discussion or risk losing credibility. If it's a finance course at a good institution you're expected to dress presentable, and the setup should create a situation for positive discussion.

I'm going to quote Kevin from Shark Tank and say that "I could never really get up for that"  when it comes to those institutions that are OK with you taking a quiz and posting something for points by Sunday on Blackboard. To me that model is a failure and the whole thing just seems like I'm throwing money down the drain for credit in search of some credential while I do it. Sometimes when I was taking courses that use this approach, I would lose motivation and eventually I would get out of bed drooling and jump on Blackboard, then take the quiz at the last minute if I forgot it was due since I would stop caring about the class out of boredom. Most of the time the student could just BS or CTRL+F their way through those quizzes and pass them all with B's at a minimum, then turn around and drop some quick gibberish on a Blackboard forum and get the points needed all within the span of 30 minutes.

The future high quality online education is in online video meetings, webinars, real time face to face discussions, etc. It's the only way to re-introduce value to this whole thing if we are talking about really "learning" something via distance education and justifying the money that it costs.

Otherwise we could just go to Amazon and get a book on whatever we want and then take an EdX, Coursera course. To me that's the same thing as the open (or closed online) book quiz and blackboard, never seeing your instructors or peers, no meetings, no webinars, Youtube videos posted via links, not even a single recorded lecture by your professors, attached messy PDF files in Canvas and Blackboard model.

Maybe even better because is much cheaper and your sources of information should be better and more up to date if you research what you want to self educate yourself on.
(08-23-2019, 12:58 AM)mysonx3 Wrote: Why is being just like brick and mortar a good thing at all, let alone a prerequisite for being anything but a cash grab?

Personally, it makes me feel as though the professors and the university itself care about my success and want to built relationships/connections with their students. I have the cell number to both of my professors in the event I have a question in the evening or on a weekend. I will say I can clearly tell the difference in quality between my MBA and the MSF programs.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apollos University - from show clause to closure details bjcheung77 4 252 Yesterday, 12:40 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  MBA Student @ Eastern University – AMA klone 15 1,082 03-27-2024, 09:18 AM
Last Post: PaperAssistant
  Kairos University Masters in Counseling Wnt2BLPC 3 283 03-23-2024, 11:59 PM
Last Post: Wnt2BLPC
  Robert Cavelier University Journey armstrongsubero 26 1,461 03-19-2024, 05:30 PM
Last Post: eLearner
  South College Developing CBE Master's in Criminal Justice Jonathan Whatley 2 200 03-18-2024, 03:29 AM
  Troy University Master's - $250/credit for military PreLawCoastie 11 550 03-11-2024, 12:20 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
Star a JD for JSD: another Northwestern California University School of Law journey thread jsd 31 6,850 03-08-2024, 08:40 PM
Last Post: HogwartsSchool
  Hellenic American University MBA: Overview of $3K RA MBA PrettyFlyforaChiGuy 90 13,980 03-06-2024, 03:28 PM
Last Post: lidel
  Eastern Illinois University. wildebeest 42 6,364 03-04-2024, 09:38 PM
  University of Illinois - Urbana Champaign MichaelDoesMarketing 35 3,318 03-03-2024, 04:25 PM
Last Post: rayray1000