Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cheapest Possible Graduate Degrees? National Accredited OK
I can't answer where @Merlin heard this, because i guess i'm far enough removed from my WGU degree that i don't hear the latest news...

But a great source for the latest happenings, if you're comfortable with reddit, is the WGU reddit sub: https://www.reddit.com/r/wgu

like Merlin stated, this change is scheduled for March. So if avoiding the group project is crucial for you, you might want to delay enrollment for another month.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
(01-12-2020, 12:30 AM)HogwartsSchool Wrote:
(01-10-2020, 08:03 PM)Merlin Wrote: Speaking of, WGU is actually dropping the group Capsim project from the MBA capstone in March. It is being replaced by a solo project. It may be the single-player version of Capsim (called Capstone) or it may be something else entirely. Details are still pending.

@Merlin
I am starting the MBA program at WGU very soon (next month). Where did you hear about the MBA capstone project change to a single-player version?

Is there a good spot to learn about the latest happenings at WGU?

l know about it because I am active in several different academic communities, including the ones for WGU. I was able to confirm it through contacts within WGU, though details won't be released until the last week of February or so. Mentors are recommending that anyone who is concerned about the group project should hold off on registering for their capstone until mid-February so they can sign up for the early March capstone cohort.

People who are signing up for their MBA now or soon won't need to worry about it since it will be the default by the time they complete the rest of the courses in the degree plan. For most people that means 2-3 terms, so the capstone may have changed again by then. Best case, for an accelerator starting in February who is aiming to finish in a single term, they're probably looking at the June or July capstone cohort anyway, which is still well past March.

The best place to learn about stuff at WGU is the student community groups. jsd mentioned the Reddit group, and Facebook has about a dozen different groups. There are also discord and slack groups. You can't always believe everything you read on the various community resources, but it is a good place to pick up info about courses and curriculum changes.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
(01-12-2020, 03:11 AM)Merlin Wrote:
(01-12-2020, 12:30 AM)HogwartsSchool Wrote:
(01-10-2020, 08:03 PM)Merlin Wrote: Speaking of, WGU is actually dropping the group Capsim project from the MBA capstone in March. It is being replaced by a solo project. It may be the single-player version of Capsim (called Capstone) or it may be something else entirely. Details are still pending.

@Merlin
I am starting the MBA program at WGU very soon (next month). Where did you hear about the MBA capstone project change to a single-player version?

Is there a good spot to learn about the latest happenings at WGU?

l know about it because I am active in several different academic communities, including the ones for WGU. I was able to confirm it through contacts within WGU, though details won't be released until the last week of February or so. Mentors are recommending that anyone who is concerned about the group project should hold off on registering for their capstone until mid-February so they can sign up for the early March capstone cohort.

People who are signing up for their MBA now or soon won't need to worry about it since it will be the default by the time they complete the rest of the courses in the degree plan. For most people that means 2-3 terms, so the capstone may have changed again by then. Best case, for an accelerator starting in February who is aiming to finish in a single term, they're probably looking at the June or July capstone cohort anyway, which is still well past March.

The best place to learn about stuff at WGU is the student community groups. jsd mentioned the Reddit group, and Facebook has about a dozen different groups. There are also discord and slack groups. You can't always believe everything you read on the various community resources, but it is a good place to pick up info about courses and curriculum changes.

@Merlin
Thanks for the insight. I have read the minimum time for the WGU - MBA capstone group is 30 days (if everything goes as planned). Do you have any additional insight into the time frame when its changed to single player version?

Also, besides changing the capstone have you read anything about the other courses?
(01-12-2020, 06:03 AM)HogwartsSchool Wrote: Thanks for the insight. I have read the minimum time for the WGU - MBA capstone group is 30 days (if everything goes as planned). Do you have any additional insight into the time frame when its changed to single player version?

Also, besides changing the capstone have you read anything about the other courses?

Currently, mentors are not supposed to allow people to sign up for the MBA capstone unless they have at least 8 weeks left in their term. A big part of that is due to the time required to complete the group capsim task and reports. When the group project becomes a solo project, I'd imagine that they may drop the minimum lead time requirement (or maybe reduce it to 4 weeks). But we have no idea of knowing whether the new solo project will be more difficult than the current capsim project or not.

As for other courses, WGU updates courses all the time. Most of the time it isn't a big enough deal to make a note of it. In the old days, it could be a problem since you could activate all your courses on day one, and then you'd be stuck with that version, even if they updated with a better version of the material. Now you can only have one course activated at any time, so it isn't as big of a deal anymore. However, this is one reason why it isn't a good idea to put too much into what you read online about courses. The requirements change all the time, so today's version of the course will likely be different than someone who took it a year or two ago.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Has anyone tried recognizing ENEB/UC1 or UoPeople degrees in Australia? ecdw94 10 941 04-17-2024, 01:47 PM
Last Post: ecdw94
  Graduate Discounts (ENEB, Walden, etc) ashkir 30 24,888 04-16-2024, 11:14 AM
Last Post: dutchdragon
  Graduate Schools that accept the most transfer credits sanantone 66 15,917 04-09-2024, 03:21 AM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  New Zealand Online Degrees doyouhowdo1 1 337 03-31-2024, 10:46 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Fastest way to get into graduate school megaworp 20 1,043 03-22-2024, 11:23 AM
Last Post: davewill
  Cheapest/Easiest Master's? Hellenic, WGU, UMPi? mohelena02 19 1,814 03-18-2024, 11:13 AM
Last Post: FireMedic_Philosopher
  Graduate transfer credits David1477 10 1,035 03-03-2024, 02:05 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  ENEB won't let me graduate and refusing to answer all emails and calls slayer35 41 4,684 02-20-2024, 10:20 PM
Last Post: William.H
Question Cheapest online master's degree in *anything?* profstudent 26 4,731 02-18-2024, 06:34 PM
Last Post: ITdegree
  List of free graduate credit udi 15 7,785 01-26-2024, 09:16 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden