Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
University of the People, BSBA for StoicJ
University of the People seems like it is going to be the best option for me. I submitted my application, got approved, and set up a portal account. I want to transfer in a lot of credits. I have two of my RA (regionally accredited) college transcripts in PDF ready to send in, and just need to scan a 3rd to complete my first transfer credit evaluation request.

Hopefully the RA credit transfer is completed to my liking this month (August 2020). In the meantime I will begin taking TWO UotP courses (no cost up front), and work on some Saylor courses (no up-front costs either). If I get enough RA credits accepted I will send in an ACE trancript towards the end of the year to see how many ACE-recommended credits get approved.

My HOPE is that 72 credits transfer, leaving 16 UotP courses overall. I realize there is a lot left to do, and I still don't KNOW how much time and effort the UotP courses require. If it doesn't work out, at least posting the experience here will help others.

My projected cost to complete this is $2,750. I will post a summary of transfer eval when it's complete, then a projected path to degree completion.
College (146): RA (134), NA (12)
ACE-recommended (105): Sophia (53), Study (28), Google (12), TEEX (10), Institutes (2)
ECTS (69): ENEB (65), LUT (2), XAMK (2)
IN PROGRESS:

Certificate- Google Data Analytics
Bachelor- Cybersecurity Technology (105/120) /
 Organizational Leadership (99/120)
Certification- CompTIA A+
DONE:
Certificate- Google IT Support

Associates- Business Administration /  BoG (History)
Undergrad certificate- Computer Networking
MBA
[-] The following 1 user Likes StoicJ's post:
  • TwinMom
I don't know if this matters to you but University of the People is not regionally accredited. That matters for some people. You also take courses on their schedule. They're not like Sophia or Saylor where you do them on your own schedule. I've seen some people shocked to find out that they're on a semester type schedule.
[-] The following 2 users Like ss20ts's post:
  • jch, MDela3
(08-04-2020, 09:25 PM)ss20ts Wrote: I don't know if this matters to you but University of the People is not regionally accredited. That matters for some people.
Yes, not RA, and that's something I would like to point out here.

University of the People is accredited by Distance Education Accrediting Commission (DEAC). That is a national accreditor, not a regional accreditor. National VS Regional accreditation may matter depending on what you want your degree to do for you. An NA degree may not satisfy requirements for some employers or institutions. Then again, it might. If you are considering getting a bachelors degree, I think you should be as clear as you can be about why you want it and what you might want it to do for you. I hear many graduate schools specifically require REGIONAL accreditation.

There's a USA-based Masters program I am interested in, and it requires Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA) or United States Department of Education (USDoE) recognition, which DEAC has. There is also an overseas MBA program I would consider, and they don't even care if your bachelors degree is NA versus RA.

(08-04-2020, 09:25 PM)ss20ts Wrote: You also take courses on their schedule. They're not like Sophia or Saylor where you do them on your own schedule. I've seen some people shocked to find out that they're on a semester type schedule.
Yes. UotP offers courses over 5 different terms each year. The next term begins in September, but you register in July/August. It seems the courses have weekly assignments, there are quizzes and tests, and forum participation is required in at least most of them if not all. My biggest concern is students grade each other's assignments. That (grading papers of non-native English speakers and them grading mine) is something I think may be an issue, but I won't know until I'm in it. A few courses also require you take a proctored final exam. I have estimated $25 x 8 exams.
ACE-recommended (105): Sophia (53), Study (28), Google (12), TEEX (10), Institutes (2)
IN PROGRESS:

DONE:

MBA
Don't they also charge you per credit you transfer in? Cheaper than traditional tuition, but still a hidden cost.

Since the price is so close in the end, I'd lean toward one of the Big 3 or a CBE (Big 3+ ??) for the convenience/piece of mind of an RA degree for any future endeavors.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
RA matters:
- if you want Pell Grants/Student loans
- get a state license to practice certain trades
- transfer credits to a RA school
- working overseas
- government jobs

In 90%+ cases it doesn't make sense to go to a nationally accredited college.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
[-] The following 1 user Likes LevelUP's post:
  • jch
(08-05-2020, 12:10 AM)jsd Wrote: Don't they also charge you per credit you transfer in? Cheaper than traditional tuition, but still a hidden cost.
There is a $17 fee per approved course. So 24 (72 credit hrs) transferred would be $408 total. https://www.uopeople.edu/become-student/...he-people/

Guess I'll post my anticipated costs. 
$60 application + (16 courses x $100 assessment fee) + ($17 transfer fee x 24 courses) + $40 transcripts + ($25 x 6 Saylor exam) + $200 for 8 ProctorU exams = $2458

No books to buy. No graduation fee.

If 24 courses do not get approved for transfer I will reassess my options. There is a dollar number I am not willing to exceed for a bachelors degree, I just don't know what that is yet. At this point I don't think I would spend another $4000 to finish.
IN PROGRESS:

DONE:

MBA
(08-05-2020, 01:47 AM)StoicJ Wrote:
(08-05-2020, 12:10 AM)jsd Wrote: Don't they also charge you per credit you transfer in? Cheaper than traditional tuition, but still a hidden cost.

Since the price is so close in the end, I'd lean toward one of the Big 3 or a CBE (Big 3+ ??) for the convenience/piece of mind of an RA degree for any future endeavors.

Supposed to be a $17 fee per approved course. So 24 (72 credit hrs) transferred would be $408 total. I'd prefer a TESU degree at the same total price, but it's going to be more than double.

UoP isn't a bad school, so if that is where you want to go (or that is the limit of your finances), then congrats!

Besides, UoP is working on regional accreditation so they may become RA in a few years. So, assuming you graduate, your degree will effectively become RA after the fact. Once they become RA I don't know that anyone will care that the school was NA when you graduated.

As long as you don't intend to teach or to attend a grad school that requires RA undergrad, it probably won't matter where your degree came from. Very few employers care about a degree other than to verify that it was issued by a legitimate college. The few that do are probably looking for programmatic accreditation (AACSB for example) more than regional accreditation. Foreign employers generally have no idea that there are multiple accreditation systems in the US anyway, or if they do, they don't care. So, it should be fine.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
[-] The following 2 users Like Merlin's post:
  • Prof.Gringo, StoicJ
(08-05-2020, 02:01 AM)Merlin Wrote: Besides, UoP is working on regional accreditation so they may become RA in a few years. So, assuming you graduate, your degree will effectively become RA after the fact

Doesn't matter after the fact, it matters when you went there so keep that in mind. I had lost some credits transferring because my school wasn't RA during some of my time there. I lost 1 semester when it wasn't accredited.

Your credits won't transfer and all other issues I listed would likely apply. You are playing with fire so don't be surprised when you get burned.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
$17/cr for transfer isn't as bad as i thought.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
(08-05-2020, 04:20 AM)LevelUP Wrote:
(08-05-2020, 02:01 AM)Merlin Wrote: Besides, UoP is working on regional accreditation so they may become RA in a few years. So, assuming you graduate, your degree will effectively become RA after the fact

Doesn't matter after the fact, it matters when you went there so keep that in mind.  I had lost some credits transferring because my school wasn't RA during some of my time there.  I lost 1 semester when it wasn't accredited.

Your credits won't transfer and all other issues I listed would likely apply.  You are playing with fire so don't be surprised when you get burned.

I just want to make sure that we're talking about the same thing. Going from NA to RA is much different than going from non-accredited to accredited status. Switching to RA from NA is more of a formality than a change in the nature of the degree since both are already accredited. Which school are you talking about?
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Lifestyle Prescriptions University ADC2305 2 253 03-18-2024, 10:35 PM
Last Post: ADC2305
  University of the People Experiences ashkir 55 9,351 03-17-2024, 01:07 AM
Last Post: MrPanda
  University of Wisconsin - Flexible Program (BSBA Degree) KanekiGirl99 2 277 03-16-2024, 02:45 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  University of Wisconsin has a self-paced, competency-based program MikeHez 28 5,701 02-25-2024, 01:54 PM
Last Post: ItsNeverTheLionsYear
  University of the People - Fee Price Hike bjcheung77 21 3,505 02-01-2024, 12:02 AM
Last Post: MrPanda
  Colorado State University GLOBAL? GoBroncos95 3 654 01-30-2024, 09:26 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  University of AZ: Are these 10-wk Business Analytics Cert Courses Worth the $? Claudia P 3 357 01-18-2024, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Tomas
  Liberty University indigoshuffle 8 765 01-16-2024, 11:47 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
Lightbulb Purdue University Global - BA Information Technology [Review & Advice] 9yeire 47 6,942 01-10-2024, 01:50 PM
Last Post: bornsupercharged
  Texas A&M University-Commerce competency based degree goldendoodle101 61 14,995 12-14-2023, 05:06 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77